corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Family life,growing up and general upbringing...

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Family life,growing up and general upbringing...
J da Silva

User status: Offline
5th Aug 08 at 23:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To add to the many interesting reads on here today, thought this would be a good one, most posts in offday are just banter most of the time, so this should be good......

I'll start...

I've had quite a good upbringing, having been born in a fairly poor area of Brazil I had to appreciate alot of the things given to me, and was very rare with me having a big family, some of the best memories I have as a boy are mainly sport related as that's all there was to do there, but from a young age I was never settled as my Dad is foreign (to me, not to you) and he constantly had to haul us arond the globe for whatever jobs he had (Managing Director of a steel distribution firm), I started in Sao Paolo, moved to Glasgow, Sheffield and Barcelona then went back to Brazil before I started what you call junior school and then back to England when I was 14 where my Dad promised us we'd stay so we could do our schooling in one place, so did my GCSE's, got a job in the fireprotection industry and became self dependant from there on.

My parents were big on manners, and never ever let me or my siblings shame the family name by being rude to someone, or fight with each other, but alot of the time we'd have to fight for each other, living in Sao Paolo was quite conflictual, alot of street violence and muggings were continious and I had to learn to handle myself and know where to go at what times to avoid trouble.

Best memories:
At the age of 10 I was picked up by a local football team (Sao Caetano) where I played youth football for a year before I went onto to play for Corinthians youth teams for a further 3 years, made some great friends who I still speak to, to this day who went to play professionally.

other good memories were the long summer nights hanging with all my friends on the Santos beaches having carnivals and jetski races.

Worst memories:

Having made the Barnsley youth academy at 16 about 15 of us were told were all on trial for a further 3months to see who'd step up into the reserves/seniors, having played 6 great games and being full of confidence, I broke my leg badly in a tackle which resulted in me not playing for a year and being released from the academy via letter instead of face to face.

Having had a very fair youth my adulthood is pretty flattering, I've since gone on to own my own company for just over 7 years now to which I let my brother manage as I know I can trust him, got a house thats paid for, a gorgeous gf and 2 wonderful kiddies, 1 girl and 1 boy called Charlize (nearly 2) and Callum-Ruben (10months), I'm a proud Dad

Sorry for the essay, lets hear abit about you lot.

[Edited on 05-08-2008 by J da Silva]
All Torque

5th Aug 08 at 23:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its too late for essays from me but your story is pretty cool
Colin

5th Aug 08 at 23:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by All Torque

x2
J da Silva

5th Aug 08 at 23:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No problemo guys, be nice for it to gather speed in the morning.
Colin

5th Aug 08 at 23:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive nothing interesting to say anyway. I dont want to be responsible for folks falling asleep

Would have loved to have lived abroad a bit when I was younger, a guy I work with was raised in South Africa....his childhood stories seem way more interesting then mine!
CorsAsh

5th Aug 08 at 23:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm the third and therefore youngest child of my parents, born ten years after my brother and I'll admit, by accident.

Had a normal upbringing, my father was also in the steel sales industry, mum was a nurse but gave up to take care of me. Have always been close to them, more so than my siblings, which has been difficult at times. Was hard to understand why my brother and sister were leaving home for example when the strain between them and parents got too much.

Was always brought up to respect others and obey the law, this was reinforced when my old man joined the Police. The sort of stuff I saw/heard about in that time makes me really appreciate what they do. The perspective it gave me is something I'd hope to one day pass onto my own kids.

Moving on, went to one primary school where I was constantly held back, made to read books for example way below my level as it might make others feel inadequate (we were 4 for god's sake). Ended up I went "on strike" one day and didnt move from my chair all day.

Was then moved to a much better school, where I prospered. This incidentally was when I decided I wanted to be a car designer. From here, was recommended for Bolton School, a private establishment.

Spent seven years being pushed academically, got a bunch of good GCSEs and fairly decent A-levels. Nephew was born around this time, I'm so proud of him, it's great being his "cool uncle". Was told by lots of people to forget the car design industry as it was too competitive.

Regardless, applied to Coventry University and received an unconditional offer, basically I could fuck up all my A-levels and still have a place. Did four years there, including 6 months for Ford and another 6 for Prodrive.

Graduated with a 2:1 hons then it all stopped for about a year. Was just starting to give up hope and consider other careers when had interview out here, few months later I was offered the job, moved to Germany and now design Audis all day.

That's me.

[Edited on 05-08-2008 by CorsAsh]
Carl

5th Aug 08 at 23:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How old are you Jimmy? Just that i'm from Barnsley and know quite a lot of people who played for Barnsley Academy along the years.

Mines just been steady, normal working class family, nothing exciting.
Reedy

5th Aug 08 at 23:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how old are you?
I would like to beat my dads peak wage which was 60k, thats my main goal in life (and obviously have a family)
J da Silva

5th Aug 08 at 23:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm 25, I have a good relationship with all the Walker family, most of them are from Rotherham but Colin's son David is my beer arm guru(drinking buddy).
drunkenfool

5th Aug 08 at 23:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

I may reply in the morning
Reedy

5th Aug 08 at 23:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by J da Silva
I'm 25, I have a good relationship with all the Walker family, most of them are from Rotherham but Colin's son David is my beer arm guru(drinking buddy).

bloody hell im 22, so not that much older than me.

Oh and too add, at school i was never really a high achiever because my school had naff all computers. I realised i wanted to be in computers at school but my school couldnt accomodate for it.
I got basic gcse grades. Some hot prospects who got a's ended up in dead end jobs with a basic wage. Now that i look on it, it makes me smile to say that im good with computers and that i know what type of industry i want to work in. To add im now on for a first in my degree in software engineering and ive just got a placement with the ministry of defence
CorsAsh

5th Aug 08 at 23:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by drunkenfool
quote:

I can do your summary:

Name: Matt
Born: Wales
Learned: Spanish
Moved to: Spain
Did: Loads of Spanish girls
Is: A bastard

Carl

5th Aug 08 at 23:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by J da Silva

My best mate played all through the years but he will have been year below you. Did you ever play with Craig Parry, goalkeeper, was a really good prospect until he had a nasty injury?
Reedy

5th Aug 08 at 23:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CorsAsh
quote:
Originally posted by drunkenfool
quote:

I can do your summary:

Name: Matt
Born: Wales
Learned: Spanish
Moved to: Spain
Did: Loads of Spanish girls
Is: A bastard

you missed the bit about abusing himself and then getting fit.

Its almost like a tom cruise film, usually hes really good at something, then he blows it all away, but then he meets a girl and then hes good again
CorsAsh

5th Aug 08 at 23:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd have him down as more of a Patrick Swayze tbh.
J da Silva

5th Aug 08 at 23:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't remember a Parry, but some of the players that were 'talked up' were....
Daryll Winters
Kyle Nix
Frazer Richardson (friends with Frazzle at school, he went onto Leeds Utd)
Lee Rodgers
Prijl Ferrum
James Masterton
All quite well known in them circles.

[Edited on 05-08-2008 by J da Silva]
Cosmo

5th Aug 08 at 23:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im the middle of 3 kids, oldest being 30 later this month, youngest being 22, and Im 23. I was the only planned one and the other two (sisters) were both mistakes as I like to inform them all the time.

Family all came from a shitty area in Liverpool where they had lived all their lives (both parents lived more or less in the same street before they met). My Dad got a job at 16 or so in the tax office and my mum became a nurse. Then about a year or two after they had me we moved out of Liverpool to Southport as my Dad was doing more and more work out of the city - plus is was a much nicer area!!

Never had loads of money as I was growing up but my Dad always had a decent job and my mum had given up being a nurse when we moved. Was now living in some little village and my upbringing was fairly good. Brought up fairly well I would say - always close to my Dad as I played lots of sports and he was always there to support me no matter how busy he was. Was always at the top of my class in Primary School but it wasnt exactly the best school in the world (typical small country school - Joe will confirm this no doubt!).

When I came to high school I went to one further away than most people in the village and it was an all boys, but had a great academic record and a good sports reputation - although it was purely rugby, something which I had never played before. Ended up leaving there having got fairly far playing sports (represented county level for athletics, rugby and football, as well as various trials, etc.) and when it came to actual results I was always a - done extremely well with no work but could of done so much better if he even did a little bit Thats basically the line that I'd hear for the rest of my education.

During high school my Dad moved up in the company he had been with for about 15yrs until eventually buying it with a few others, then when I was about 14 or 15 sold it for a fairly decent price. Things really changed for me then as before we never really had a lot of money but were comfortable, but now had plenty and a lot of people treated me differently because of that. Although as far as I could tell, and my closest mates, it made little different to how I acted. As I was leaving high school my parents got divorced, my Dad's fault but not going into it on here, and ended up living with 3 females - which having been so close to my Dad was not the best thing!!

Then came college - same thing as high school really - drifted through doing little (read none) work and came out with good but not amazing results in my A Levels(ABB). Was enough to get into Manchester to do Business Management, did the exact same thing again and drifted though doing what little I could and coming out with a 2:1 - should really of got off my arse and done some work but didnt.

I think I was expected to follow in my Dad's footsteps and go into the financial sector, but was clear to my parents for the last few years that this wasnt going to happen as I dont have the discipline to work for someone else for any great time (i.e. enough to work my way up in big business!).

So after leaving uni I worked with my Dad for a while on a few of his investments getting some experience (which was good for us both as he needed the help and I needed the experience). And by this time I was talking to him about setting up something on my own. After a bit of persuasion from him he got me to agree to join the family business for a while to get more experience (Im basically running the whole business side day to day) whilst building up the funds to go on my own when the time is right.

And here I am today. Think thats about it - feel like Paul J

R Lee

6th Aug 08 at 00:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm number 2 out of 4 boys in my family.
Mummy and Daddy's background, from Hong Kong, pretty poor financially. They came over to the UK in the 70's to find work with their family and got married after meeting each other etc.

Moved to Scotland where my older brother and myself was born. Money was pretty tight so apparently I got sent to Hong Kong with my Great Grandmother for a while, whilst parents worked.
After a few years, they got enough money to buy a business here and there, and eventually settled in sunny Morecambe, where my 2 younger brothers were born.

Went to local County Primary School, which was fantastic in my opinion. Got average grades, but always straight A's for effort.
Afterwards, I ended up at local High School. Not a brilliant school with a few shitheads dotted around etc. but, nevertheless, very enjoyable. Got decent grades throughout.
After dropping 6th form, I went to L&M School of Art and Design to "study" multimedia design. Did fuck all for 2 years and managed to get into Uni.
Apparently, having applied for Uni, I was one of "the selected" out of the applicants to get into the course, Design Management. I think that was a lie, but who cares, I was in a class full of hotties.
Done 1 1/2 years then dropped it because I didn't fancy going into the design industry anymore.

Dossed around for a few months stuck in a hole.

Applied to join the Police, but first application didn't make it.

Major event happened right after that. My Mum was diagnosed with cancer. Scary as fuck because I'm close to my dear ol' Mummy. She couldn't work anymore after treatment. Parents got close to selling their successful business.

I decided to take over instead. Now its, running better than ever, and profit has increased by a considerable percent.

At 25, I have a house in a lovely area by the coast, own a nice car, motorbike, and have plans to expand in the near future.
No girlfriend though

Much respect to my Parents for bringing me up as well as they could, even though I was a cunt at times.

ps. Paul_J is an inspiration for essays

[Edited on 06-08-2008 by R Lee]
Robbo

6th Aug 08 at 11:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good thread

If bored at hoem tonight I might write one out
Lawrah
Premium Member

6th Aug 08 at 11:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im the eldest of two sisters.

We had a very nice upbrining, lived in a large house in a well off area of Glasgow.

Then things went pete tong.

My mum kicked my dad out the family house, and he went to live elsewhere. He hit a very low depression and attempted suicide.

My mum finallly let him back into the family home after about a year. Things were not all right, but my sister was still very young and I think it was for her sake. My dad was continuiously away on "buisness" pretty much leaving my mum to work and bring up to young girs.

I remember it turning ugly many times and sitting with my wee sister at the top of the stairs while they shouted at each other.

Finally it came out my dad had been having an affair with someone from Chester, and had been staying with her on his "buisness" trips down south. He totally denyed it.

My mum packed a bag and left for portugal with me and my sister. Shen never returned to the family home,she managed to set up a flat to go back to after Portugal. My dad got the police involved saying it was Kidnapping and mum was told to return.

Me and my sister went through stages of living back at the family home, but It wasnt the same anymore, it was cold and empty.

It was a messy divorce, with many fights, lawyers and police. My mum was arrested and put in the cells for a night, as my dad said she attacked him. I know otherwise.
I was very hurt that my dad did that and stopped speaking to him for a long time.
Within that time I started working for a Estate Agents, which I didnt enjoy.

So to skip a few years, and the divorce is through and things are ok.

My dad lives in a stunning house with this lady friend from Chester, who moved up here, and has been with her for 5 years or so now.

My mum has her own flat and enjoys her work.

I moved out to stay with a friend in Lanarkshire for a while, but it quikley turned sour and I left a note and moved all my stuff out. So now, I am back in my mums flat, with my sister. Only problem is I have no bedroom, So im on the sofa.

But im the happiest I have been for a long time. Im making money, spending it on me and enjoying my friends and family around me. And to me, thats all that really matters.

[Edited on 06-08-2008 by Lawrah]
Shane

6th Aug 08 at 12:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im the eldest of 2 sisters from my mum and 2 sister and 1 brother from my dad.

Mum had me at the age of 17 and mum and dad divorced, and had to get a court order for my dad to see me.

we lived in a dingy 1bed flat for a couple of years, mum then met my sisters dad and things went really wrong when they split up,

me, mum and my sister ended up in proctective housing for a while. moved a couple of times but generally stayed in the same area.

mum then met my other sisters dad, he ened up becoming a drunk, lots of fights, lots of police being called, he never liked kids and me and my sisters seemed to to take the brunt of that. ill never forgive or forget the things that have happened or seen.

My aunt then died 2 weeks after my 17th birthday, so my cousin came to live with us, 5 people in a 3 bed house,

got moved into a bigger house, i then decided to move to norfolk and move in with a couple of friends,

had a couple of jobs that didnt really go to well, never had any money, got myself into debt,

finally got a job i like now in the steel and cladding industry, taken me 2 years to work my way up to contracts assisntant,

finally got money and sorting my debts out,

i like my life atm and wouldnt change it for anything
jr

6th Aug 08 at 13:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Born 1985

Bought a corsa at 16

still building it
Tiesto

6th Aug 08 at 16:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Born in South Africa, younger son of two.

Brought up in a strict household where i learnt right from wrong very quickly, where "smacking" was given out where it was due. But was not brought up with parents around all the time as they both had to work all day to pay bills etc. so was always looked after by "nannies".
At the age of 9 I was sent to a boys only boarding school where I was for 4 years. Only went home 1 weekend out of a month, but it made me better for it. Constantly playing sport as were forced too, which has made it easy for me to turn my hand to different sports easily.

Moved over here and went downhill quickly really, no discipline in school meant i was bunking off and getting away with too easily and became habit quickly. Looking back on it now I wish they had left me in Boarding School back in South Africa as i imagine i would be someone completely different to what I am now and better for it.

Came through with average grades, and managed to get an apprenticeship using CAD and onto doing a degree. I feel my upbringing has allowed me to be self sufficient and hard working in adulthood.
Robbo

6th Aug 08 at 16:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If I say tomato, do you say toe-mate-o?

Sorry, incredibly racist

(AP FTW )
Russ

6th Aug 08 at 16:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok... i was born 22/4/84, my mom left me in a carrier bag outside the maternity entrance of the hospital i was born at. the council put me into foster care, i stayed with one family until i was 6, then the carers marriage broke up and i was moved to another home, i never settled, was always fighting at school, bullying kids, taking money off kids as i had none. went to more foster homes, about 10 in total, until i was 11, moved to a home, where i stayed untill i was 16, i put no effort in at school, just played football and joked around. passed all my GCSE's with good grades despite no effort. and joined the army at 16. the first day i was there i got the bollocking of a lifetime for eyballing somebody, i knew there and then, this was the life for me. i was in the Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment, where i learnt how to drive a warrior and how to kill somebody from a mile away with several sniper rifles. i had an S on my arm, and for that i could walk around like a scruffy cunt around base and none of the top brass could say anything. when i was 19, i tried to join the SAS, i passed the the course apart from the interrogation part, which i cannot explain to you, but it made me better for next time. i applied again at 20 years of age, and flew through, failing the year before was worth it, i found the training a piece of piss, there is no better feeling that shooting somebody in the head with an mp5. at 23, i was approached by the government to work for them on deniable ops. so here i am today, 24 years old, living two lives, with 1 shit wage. but i wouldn't change it for the world... well i would. i'd like to join the RAF now, see the world that isn't desert and meet people in foreign countries that i am not there to kill. but until then

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Family life,growing up and general upbringing... 22 database queries in 0.1181822 seconds