corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Is there a way... (webcam and image software related)

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Is there a way... (webcam and image software related)
Cosmo

User status: Offline
13th Aug 08 at 10:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In our shops the brides always complain that it would be good if they could see themselves in the various dresses they have tried on side by side (pics) so they can compare what they look best in.

Now using a digi cam is probably out the question as would mean it being connected to the comp all the time and hassle of uploading the pics, etc. etc. as we dont want it to be such a labour intensive thing.

So is it possible to have a decent quality webcam linked to the PC all the time and installed in a place where it can take a good pic (above the mirror, etc.) and for it to take a pic and save it. And then once multiple pics have been taken they can all easily (i.e. a few clicks and not going through the folder, finding the right pics, and then selecting them to be previewed or whatever)?!

I know it can be done fairly easily manually, but was hoping someone knew a piece of gallery type software that would trim it down to a few clicks.
Robbo

13th Aug 08 at 10:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You just want to perv on the birds in the changing rooms don't you

I have seen this kind of system in posh shops before so preusme there is somethign in the market for it
Cosmo

13th Aug 08 at 10:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well if it just so happens that the webcams can be remotely accessed then so be it
Robbo

13th Aug 08 at 10:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lolz

IIRC the shop I saw it in was that big dept store in London, on Saville Row, or Sloane Square... Tiffanys maybe?
_Allan_

13th Aug 08 at 18:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
Well if it just so happens that the webcams can be remotely accessed then so be it

This has potential IP address and passwords for sale
_Allan_

13th Aug 08 at 18:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This any good?

http://www.coffeecup.com/webcam/help/capturingviewing-images.94.html

Seems you can click or use a keyboard shortcut to take an image then view a gallery afterwards.
Paul_J

13th Aug 08 at 18:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Make sure you don't skimp on the price of the web cam. Some are cheap and will be like 1.3 mega pixel, some can be a lot higher and better quality. Obviously as the subject will be further away and only take up a part of the picture, you want best quality.

If you can't find some software, I may be able to knock something up for you as it sounds pretty simple.

Just interface screen with a live view finder, take input from connected camera, save taken pics to resources in software to make it fast / easy to retrieve taken pics (rather than hard drive ... unless you want to come back days later to view again), and then just get them displayable side by side / can be enlarged if required / moved about etc.
ed

13th Aug 08 at 20:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Specsavers have software like this IIRC. Can't help you with what it's called though. It's probably something custom made however.

It's something that would add value for your customers so it might be worth getting something custom made to do the job as it sounds pretty usefull.
deano87

13th Aug 08 at 22:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My cheap Creative NX webcam has a security type feature. It is motion sensitive i.e. when it notices a change in the picture, and will then being to record the video or pictures set at a certain interval. This is simply with the software bundled.

My webcam is pretty old too, so no doubt technology has advance loads etc, so you should be able to do it easily.
John

13th Aug 08 at 22:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you posted this on a tech forum like neowin or similar i think you'd get an answer straight away, there will without a doubt be software for it but all the terms I can think of for searching aren't bringing anything up.
Cosmo

13th Aug 08 at 22:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I tried searching google for about 30mins before I posted up here and couldnt find much.

And are you saying the standard of Geek on here is not that of on neowin and other forums
John

13th Aug 08 at 22:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The geeks in here are mere shadows of some of the ones on the geek forums

I'll venture into neowin for you, not been near it for ages.
John

13th Aug 08 at 22:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.neowin.net/news/software/08/01/16/faststone-image-viewer-35

Something like that can have 4 at one time.

You'd have to do it slightly manually though, take the picture then bring the 2 up in the gallery.

Stop gap possibly.
Dom

14th Aug 08 at 06:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I doubt you'll get a decent webcam that'll make it worth while. Personally, i would buy a nikon, get their remote software that allows you to take a photo remotely via usb and then have something like photoshop (get the old ver9, a lot quicker) to keep scanning the nikons SD card.
Get a decent photo printer so they can't print them out etc (probably charge them etc).

If you're going to do it, might as well do it properly
Cosmo

14th Aug 08 at 08:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
I doubt you'll get a decent webcam that'll make it worth while. Personally, i would buy a nikon, get their remote software that allows you to take a photo remotely via usb and then have something like photoshop (get the old ver9, a lot quicker) to keep scanning the nikons SD card.
Get a decent photo printer so they can't print them out etc (probably charge them etc).

We'd have atleast 4 rooms needing these though - so that would end up making it a hell of a lot of money as well as being very labour intensive!!
John

14th Aug 08 at 11:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You get plenty of webcams that will take a picture.

For instance
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/129558

2 megapixels is more than enough for displaying a comparison on screen.
Cosmo

14th Aug 08 at 12:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Exactly, it doesnt need to be some top quality pic as is only to give an idea to the brides to compare.
Dom

14th Aug 08 at 12:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
quote:
Originally posted by Dom

We'd have atleast 4 rooms needing these though - so that would end up making it a hell of a lot of money as well as being very labour intensive!!

I dont see how it's labour intensive, grabbing a camera and taking a picture and plugging it up to a laptop

But it sounds like if it involves more than pressing a button or a mouse click, you're not interested - in which case i would look at a proper product to be installed into each room that gives them the option of printing the photos to take away.

I can see legal issues having webcams connected to a single system that you have control over, so you would have to have a system in each room, plus camera plus software that's easy enough to use that customer can use it - certainly not going to be cheap.
Cosmo

14th Aug 08 at 12:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
I dont see how it's labour intensive, grabbing a camera and taking a picture and plugging it up to a laptop

But it sounds like if it involves more than pressing a button or a mouse click, you're not interested - in which case i would look at a proper product to be installed into each room that gives them the option of printing the photos to take away.

I can see legal issues having webcams connected to a single system that you have control over, so you would have to have a system in each room, plus camera plus software that's easy enough to use that customer can use it - certainly not going to be cheap.

Im not saying the system has to be cheap, but at the same time buying a decent (proper) cam for every room isnt really cost effective for the service we are looking to offer. We arent looking to give them a keep sake to print and take away, we are looking to provide a way for them to look at (on a screen in the room) a quick pic of them in each dress they have tried on so they can compare.

And thats the main reason why it cant be labour intensive. They have hour long appointments in which time could be trying on (after picking) around 6 dresses. For the assistant to then have to take up time taking a pic, getting it on the PC, getting it into the software so they can view it, etc. is going to take up time that could be better used.

Plus we are talking about simple sales assistants here, and Id rather a simple system that invovles them doing as little as possible to prevent them doing anything wrong!
andy1868

14th Aug 08 at 12:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

perhaps a digital camera plugged straight into a tv and cycle through them on a tv? the only drawback being you can't see them side by side. just an idea
Cosmo

14th Aug 08 at 15:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by andy1868
perhaps a digital camera plugged straight into a tv and cycle through them on a tv? the only drawback being you can't see them side by side. just an idea

Yeah it was one we considered, but ideally we'd want them to be saved automatically onto th HDD if in the future we decide to offer more services via this (i.e. save to their member section on our website so they can view online once they leave the shop). And doing it that way would mean more manual work, blah blah!
ed

14th Aug 08 at 16:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You could probably do that doing Java or Flash. I know with Flash you can make web cam apps. I know a good Java programmer and I could ask him if he knows of any way of doing what you want...
Cosmo

14th Aug 08 at 16:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah if you can. Plus is worth you asking as you know who I'll be heading to if we want it linked to the site
ed

14th Aug 08 at 16:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lolz. Think he's on his hols at the moment...
Cosmo

14th Aug 08 at 16:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No probs, it isnt something that is urgent, the Liverpool shop is currently a shell so will be a couple of months to fit out anyway.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll