corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Cheap Golf clubs for a beginner

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Cheap Golf clubs for a beginner
C2RL R

User status: Offline
14th Jan 09 at 10:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm thinking of taking up golf this year and i'm after a cheap set of clubs. i don't know if i'll get into it properly so i'm not too bothered if they are a bit bobbins. Looking on SportsDirect.com they have a set of Dunlop clubs in the sale for £70 - http://www.sportsdirect.com/Products/SD/PID-Dunlop+65+12+Piece+Graphite+Set-876021.aspx

i'm not sure if i should buy them and replace them if i get into it or spend the same on a second hand but better set. whats people's opinions?
Mad Moe

14th Jan 09 at 11:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.direct-golf.co.uk/golf_packages/ram/demon_xr_package_golf_packages/p8892

I know it's double the price but you you're getting the whole set and a more reputable Golfing brand.

Also a mate of mine had a similar set of Rams when he first started out and I must admit I was very impressed with the quality considering the price.
strick206

14th Jan 09 at 11:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.sportsdirect.com/Products/SD/PID-Dunlop+65+16+Piece+Graphite+Set-876011.aspx

Similar to the ones you've posted but with an extra 4 clubs, perfect for a beginner imo and if you decide you hate the game, nothing much lost
Whittie

14th Jan 09 at 12:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tbh, what Strick posted really. For what you're wanting, it's ideal.

If you go second hand though you could get quite a decent set, they may need re-gripping though.
PaulJMcT

14th Jan 09 at 14:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Slazanger from JJB, got a set tail end of last season, Cavity backs, similar to Callaway's. Ideal for what you need and good for when you progress. All for £129 iirc.
jacko198

14th Jan 09 at 15:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Go to youre local golf club pro shop!
PaulJMcT

14th Jan 09 at 15:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jacko198
Go to youre local golf club pro shop!

He wants a cheap set.

He might get a putter for £70
jacko198

14th Jan 09 at 16:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They will be able to sort something out for you, they can get the cheep shit in too
C2RL R

15th Jan 09 at 10:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fucking difficult to decide on this. everytime a pick a set i think "fuck it, i'll put another £50 to it and get a better set" i almost paid £250 for a set last night.
strick206

15th Jan 09 at 10:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by C2RL R
fucking difficult to decide on this. everytime a pick a set i think "fuck it, i'll put another £50 to it and get a better set" i almost paid £250 for a set last night.

Get the set i posted, theres no need to pay anymore than that for your first set, play with them for a year or so getting the rpactice, and the look at getting some better clubs if you like the game
C2RL R

15th Jan 09 at 10:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my brother in law said he had a similar set and he broke a few of them. kind of put me off a bit.
strick206

15th Jan 09 at 10:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When i first started i had a full set of donnay clubs, cost me 100quid, and i never broke one, he must be throwing them around if he hit a bad shot

Another tip when you get some clubs, dont use the driver, use the 3wood to tee off, they are much more forgiving and will be better for you as a beginner
Mad Moe

15th Jan 09 at 11:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd also recommend not getting Irons with graphite shafts, most beginners tend to have a fast swing and you'll get far too much flex with those clubs you posted
C2RL R

15th Jan 09 at 11:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so if i spend £100 and get steel shafts i'll be better off? i'll get back on the golf shop websites at lunch time.
strick206

15th Jan 09 at 11:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Moe is right, steel shafted are probably best, i fogrgot about that, i needed steel shafted clubs aswell when i changed to my nike set, i swing too fast for graphite

http://www.greatvaluegolf.co.uk/ramDemonGolfPackageSet.htm

You can get them in steel, 119quid is reasonable for them, the 3 and the 4 wood would be perfect for you also
strick206

15th Jan 09 at 11:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RAM-DEMON-ZX-PACKAGE-SET-GOLF-CLUB-SET-15-PIECE-NEW_W0QQitemZ260335911196QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_SportsLeisure_Golf_GolfClubs_JN?hash=item260335911196&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318#ebayphotohosting

email that guy and ask if they are steel shafts, if they are, that's a bargain
C2RL R

15th Jan 09 at 11:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i've nver heard of that brand before. probably because i'm not a golfer. are they any good?
Tommy L

15th Jan 09 at 11:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't rule out graphite shafts, even if you are a beginner.

Have you got a driving range near by with pro shop? Most will let you try some clubs before you buy. That way you can try both steel and graphite shafts.

I always had steel shafts but tried some Callaways with graphite shafts and ended up buying them.
C2RL R

15th Jan 09 at 12:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

to be honest i'm not after commiting to a set really. i don't even know if i'm gonna get into it properly. my Dad has been after getting into golf too so if i upgrade he can have my old set.
PaulJMcT

15th Jan 09 at 12:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.jjbgolf.co.uk/slazenger-tpt-draw-flight/entprod_100513.aspx

Thats the ones i bought.

The Hybrid irons give you a lot of forgiveness and i find them really easy to play with.

£89 aswell....bargain!
C2RL R

15th Jan 09 at 13:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'm just waiting on a u2u from whittie before i make my mind up.
Whittie

15th Jan 09 at 13:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He sent me a text to say he's in a meeting all day mate, picked the email up on his blackberry. Will be early evening before I get back to you
C2RL R

15th Jan 09 at 13:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah no worries mate......i wasn't trying to put pressure on you.
jacko198

15th Jan 09 at 13:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is the reason why golf has become shit these days. How hard is it to go to a pro shop and say "im looking to start playing, and i want to spend as little as possible on a set of clubs"
They will have 2nd hand ones, the pro will go out to the range and try you out with a few to see which suits youre swing better.

But dont go in, try a club, and then go buy it for less on the internet, that just takes the piss. Ask if they price match! Most of them do
C2RL R

15th Jan 09 at 13:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

who said it was hard mate? i started this thread to get opinions on buying a cheap set of new ones or a better set of second hand ones.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Cheap Golf clubs for a beginner 23 database queries in 0.0151780 seconds