corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Clean Car- Products to use?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Clean Car- Products to use?
stubbsy05

User status: Offline
28th Jan 09 at 10:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Planning on giving the girlfriends fiesta a wash and polish on saturday.

Been ages since I have hand washed a car. Have got a Karcher pressure washer and usually use Autoglym car shampoo and polish.

Is there any better equivalents to use (not too expensive)?

As for my car, I treated it to its annual £5 carwash at the garage last Saturday!

[Edited on 28-01-2009 by Alex.S]
Minty_Fresh

28th Jan 09 at 10:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=474972
DaveyLC

28th Jan 09 at 11:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just use halfords own shampoo..

People use all this fancy bullsh*t shampoos and treatments when in reality you are far better off using a cheapo detergent based shampoo with no added rubbish that will just leave deposits. Polish with a decent addative free abrasive polish and then seal with a decent wax or sealer/glaze..
P1CK4D

28th Jan 09 at 11:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fairy liquid and hot water
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

28th Jan 09 at 11:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
Just use halfords own shampoo..

People use all this fancy bullsh*t shampoos and treatments when in reality you are far better off using a cheapo detergent based shampoo with no added rubbish that will just leave deposits. Polish with a decent addative free abrasive polish and then seal with a decent wax or sealer/glaze..

I'd disagree

My black TT was parked next to someone elses black car at work yesterday both washed very regular but mine gets lots of different polishes / glazes / waxes / shampoo's etc and she commeneted on how she wished hers would shine like mine!

If you just want a "clean" car then yeh cheapo shampoo and some cheapo all in one polish / wax but when compared you can REALLY tell the difference in shine, depth, smoothness, durability of the finish!

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
DaveyLC

28th Jan 09 at 11:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All well and good if you know what you are doing and you are removing the products that you are applying each time but most people either dont know what they are doing or cant be arsed..

And in all fairness its a waste of time and money to buy some of these 'amazing' waxes and polishes because at the end of the day you either use an abrasive compound to remove imperfections and deposits or you put products on the car that make it appear shinier (is that a word? lol)..

Always better off with a simple mop, polish and glaze then keep on top of it with a regular common or garden clean and a decent wax.
DaveyLC

28th Jan 09 at 11:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

From

To:

Using the most basic chemicals and techniques..

[Edited on 28-01-2009 by DaveyLC]
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

28th Jan 09 at 11:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Faded red is quite a simple one if you have a machine polisher and some decent cutting compound!

Once you have the shine you just need regular waxing to keep ontop and maintain the shine every 6months or so re-do the full procedure clay, polish, wax and so on.

If you can be arsed to maintain the finish it just needs regular waxing to keep the protection!

If you have a scratch which needs removed I tend to start fresh on that panel with the polishing / cutting then when comes to waxing do the full car!

I can see why some people can't be arsed but I'm sad enough to enjoy doing mine

Being black has to be kept ontop of as EVERY mark shows, I also know what flame pink is like to keep nice and red!

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
DaveyLC

28th Jan 09 at 11:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not quite black but close.. Using the same chemicals.. Was always washed with proper cheap shampoo

Same with this, was a total state when I got it lol

[Edited on 28-01-2009 by DaveyLC]
DaveyLC

28th Jan 09 at 11:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

SHED:

mwg

28th Jan 09 at 12:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Autoglym Super Resin Polish is the best hand polish. Been proven many times in tests.
DaveyLC

28th Jan 09 at 12:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Matty G
Autoglym Super Resin Polish is the best hand polish. Been proven many times in tests.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.. Its full of silicone

Gives effort free results but after using it a few times the paint is covered in greasy deposits.
mwg

28th Jan 09 at 12:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Matty G

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.. Its full of silicone

Gives effort free results but after using it a few times the paint is covered in greasy deposits.

Never had greasy deposits on mine or heard of anyone else with those complaints. Maybe you aren't using it right.

I only use it once a year, doesn't need doing anymore than that. Really work it in and break it down till it goes clear. Wipes off easy, no marks or greasy deposits. Then wax afterwards. All is good.
Minty_Fresh

28th Jan 09 at 12:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

have to agree ive use the AG super resin polish before and i realy liked how easy it is to work into the paint, and then to wipe off..

not realy used many polishes etc, but for the price tag of around £6 i think it may be hard to beat for the money..

never known it to leave it greasy :S

[Edited on 28-01-2009 by mk4_boy]
XSIHardy

28th Jan 09 at 12:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tbh iv also been looking into cleaning products, as its winter, and i wont some thing to get all the crap of the car hard to know whats decent at times, theres so much out there
DaveyLC

28th Jan 09 at 12:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've never understood its purpose.. Its not really a polish and its not really a wax.. Its more of a mildly abrasive wax.
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

28th Jan 09 at 12:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

SRP has been proven to give best results by hand for "filling" swirls

It gives a good finish been tempted to try some in the past but I have Black Hole which does the same job!

I just dislike AG products got a freebie pack at a car show went straight on eBay

XSIHardy

28th Jan 09 at 12:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I've never understood its purpose.. Its not really a polish and its not really a wax.. Its more of a mildly abrasive wax.

just makes your car more shiney
Minty_Fresh

28th Jan 09 at 12:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just wondering but, what would be the best cleaning product. (white)

[Edited on 28-01-2009 by mk4_boy]
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

28th Jan 09 at 12:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mk4_boy
just wondering but, what would be the best cleaning product. (white)

Define cleaning product?

What you after?

DaveyLC

28th Jan 09 at 12:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bold 2-in-1 FTW!
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

28th Jan 09 at 12:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pinched from DetailingWorld:

Autoglym Super Resin Polish:
The first of the "all-in-one" productsm contains fillers, leaves an acryllic sealent layer too.

Before:

This was applied in circular motions and straight lines, for about two minutes per hit and the residue removed with ease (a little bit of duist though). Easy to use product...

Results after three hits:

Results after five hits:

Out of all the products tested, this one achieved the best defect removal - even deeper swirls were mostly dealt with... these were mainly filled, but as an option by hand for defect work, SRP is hard ignore. Excellent results from an underrated product, left a nice glossy finish too!

Minty_Fresh

28th Jan 09 at 12:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

want to get a decent product that makes my car shine, hard being white i guess
mwg

28th Jan 09 at 12:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There you go, best hand polish like I said.
DaveyLC

28th Jan 09 at 12:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Daniel_Corsa

Results after five hits:

Five times.. Surely people have got better things to do with their lives?

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Clean Car- Products to use? 23 database queries in 0.0169208 seconds