corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Bp reports a loss for the first time in 7 years!

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Bp reports a loss for the first time in 7 years!
pow
Premium Member

User status: Offline
4th Feb 09 at 10:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just seen this in the paper in the staff room at work

Not surprised tbh.

GTF anyone who wants to flame, MPG, price of petrol blah blah, this is for general information (as I like to know whats going on in the business world now).

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/natural_resources/article5654948.ece
richc

4th Feb 09 at 10:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Damn russia!
pow
Premium Member

4th Feb 09 at 10:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Indeed
richc

4th Feb 09 at 10:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I hope to change this when i get straight 6 power!
Colin

4th Feb 09 at 11:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Year profits are at a record high, its auarter 4 profits that have taken a tumble.
pow
Premium Member

4th Feb 09 at 11:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Probably the reason BP are wishing to charge mugs £1.02 for a litre of devil juice and 92p for a litre of jesus juice.
Colin

4th Feb 09 at 11:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Believe it or not they see vey little of that as profit - pennies. Their losses come from low oil demand, making the prices low. Against very high exploration & crew costs.

Many are now being forced to postpone exploration/production until things improve.
pow
Premium Member

4th Feb 09 at 11:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So how did they survive 2 years ago when petrol for ~85p and diesel was ~90?

They are still charging too much IMO
richc

4th Feb 09 at 11:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow

I saw a breakdown a few years back of a 85 or so p litre of petrol

2p was transport
10p was the fuel
5 p was the garage

and the rest a list of stupid taxes?
Colin

4th Feb 09 at 11:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How much was a barrel of oil back then?

Look at whats happened here from business terms (as an oil companies a business) the price of their products fell by 2/3's.

Imagine that somewhere else - imagine BMW selling M3's for £20k!!

They need to keep prices up to make their ventures profitable.

Oil exploration costs billions, its got to be equally rewarding or they wouldnt bother!!
pow
Premium Member

4th Feb 09 at 11:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tax on fuel needs to be cut so that it's all fair IMO.

Oil was MORE then than it was now.
richc

4th Feb 09 at 11:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow

Thats the problem. They are actually charging very little. Its C.UNTS (which is what they are not badgers as the filter tries to suggest) like Gordan brown, and the rest of the gouverment telling us 'oil is to high and we are doing our best to cut the cost of that £1 or so litre of fuel'

Bullshit, its all tax. About 70 p of that quid is fuel tax, which you then pay V.A.T.

ANd then they turn around and say ' Tax doesnt have to be taxing'

Taxing in this country is taxing the tax!
pow
Premium Member

4th Feb 09 at 11:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Prehaps we need to sit tight, pay the tax little and often to get us out of this mess.

Then the logical thing would be if/when in a few years the country is starting to tick over nicely, tax is dropped 5p to how it was a couple of years ago.
Fad

4th Feb 09 at 11:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

David buy a petrol and give the world a break!
ollie_sport

4th Feb 09 at 11:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

were i live petrol is 85p and derv 94p, but if i remember rightly 2 years ago it was cheaper so why are they losing money now? they have cut the vat but still losing. I think our goverment and other countries need to sort something to help us all properly. Im a self employed plasterer and because of them robbing everyone over the last 5 + years everyone is struggling. But i think in 2 years we still want be ok cause of all the "money" they are putting in to "help" who is going to have to pay it all back? US!
Hammer

4th Feb 09 at 12:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They're not losing money, they're making billions as per.
pow
Premium Member

4th Feb 09 at 12:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Fad
David buy a petrol and give the world a break!

Please kindly look at top post
John

4th Feb 09 at 12:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was speaking to somebody that does the engineering for the gas/petrol plants, one of the shell gas cracking plants makes 6 million a day, from just one plant

Shell, BP, Esso all still own all the pipelines from the drilling platforms so they'll make money from renting them until the oil is all done.

It'll be a long time before they lose any money and it's not really related to how much we pay for petrol.
Ben G

4th Feb 09 at 12:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

people are going to tescos now instead of using rip off bp petrol
Hammer

4th Feb 09 at 12:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
I was speaking to somebody that does the engineering for the gas/petrol plants, one of the shell gas cracking plants makes 6 million a day, from just one plant

Shell, BP, Esso all still own all the pipelines from the drilling platforms so they'll make money from renting them until the oil is all done.

It'll be a long time before they lose any money and it's not really related to how much we pay for petrol.

Shell MD has said numerous times that forecourt activity makes up for a minimal percentage of their turnover, not sure it even made double figures.

I think BP will still be happy enough at making a loss over a period of 1 month when they'll be posting an annual profit of over £18 billion.
John

4th Feb 09 at 12:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only 18 billion, gutted, shell execs probably send emails laughing at them.

I like how the chief exec can get away with saying that it'll be a challenging 2 years for them, his bonus must have been hit hard.
SVM 286

4th Feb 09 at 12:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
people are going to tescos now instead of using rip off bp petrol

My local Shell stations (3 of them) have been the same price or cheaper than my local tesco for normal unleaded for months now. Ludicrous.
Nath

4th Feb 09 at 13:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^^ Same. There are a couple of Shell garages around here that are always cheaper then everywhere else. Asda can be the cheapest, but even they change their prices too often.
Dione J

4th Feb 09 at 13:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Shell garage is a must as I run nothing but Optimax in my Turbo
Colin

4th Feb 09 at 13:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oil companies are funny in the way they work to the extent that, they make their money lifting the oil/gas (exploration) it is then metered & put along the same pipeline to a terminal & storage facility (flota/sullom voe/grangemouth, hull etc) it is then sold either exported or to a refinery to be blended & cracked etc into a verity of products, now these refineries are mostly owned in the UK by other companies recently who buy them & cut costs. The product (diesel/petrol) is then sold by their procurment depts to petrol stations.

So the diesel at BP stations are not ultimatelly their product. The potrol station or to an extent oil company doesnt have alot of say in the forecourt prices. Petrol stations dont make alot of money & I believe alot of them are indapendantly owned & run.

Onto supermarket fuels I believe they can sell cheaper 1.Bbecause its slightly cheaper imported poorer quality fuel they sell & 2. Because they get numbers into their shops spending money on other stuff, allowing them to drop the price a few pence a litre.

[Edited on 04-02-2009 by Colin]

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Bp reports a loss for the first time in 7 years! 22 database queries in 0.0131350 seconds