corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Rafa signs a new 5yr contract

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Rafa signs a new 5yr contract
Cosmo

User status: Offline
   18th Mar 09 at 21:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im hearing whispers that Rafa has signed a new 5yr deal

[Edited on 18-03-2009 by Cosmo]
Marc

18th Mar 09 at 21:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, but is he suing West Ham?
Cosmo

18th Mar 09 at 21:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He no doubt will do now.
Cosmo

18th Mar 09 at 21:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I say whispers, now on the Offy....

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N163657090318-2103.htm

Rafa Benitez has signed a contract extension with Liverpool FC, keeping him at the club until 2014.
The Liverpool Manager has extended his current deal, which took him to the end of next season, by a further four years.

"My heart is with Liverpool Football Club, so I'm delighted to sign this new deal," said Rafa. "I love the club, the fans and the city and with a club like this and supporters like this, I could never say no to staying. I always made clear I wanted to be here for a long time and when I complete my new contract it will mean I have spent over a decade in Liverpool.

"The club is greatly respected around the world due to its incredible history and tremendous heritage. It is my aim to uphold those values and help create a new chapter in our history.

"Throughout this process, I would like to thank the owners for their hard work in finalising the deal. All of us at the club want the same thing, which is to be successful by winning major trophies."

The completion of contract talks with Rafa is the third major boost for Liverpool fans in recent days, coming after fabulous wins against Real Madrid in the Champions League and Manchester United in the Premier League. The 4-1 win at Old Trafford saw Rafa achieve 100 league wins in the third fastest period of time for a Liverpool manager, surpassing Bill Shankly.

Liverpool Co-Chairman Tom Hicks said: "It is wonderful news that Rafa has made a long-term commitment to the football club. Since he became Manager in 2004, he has been responsible for the great progress we have made. I know he will continue to build on his achievements as he has a tremendous hunger and desire to bring more success to the club - success our fans and everyone connected with the club deserves."

Co-Chairman George Gillett added: "With Rafa continuing to manage the team, we can look forward to more great football and success on the pitch. He has special abilities and qualities which are admired here at the club and around the world. Coming after our excellent wins over Real Madrid and Manchester United, this gives us great momentum going into the final stages of the season."

Rafa joined The Reds in 2004 following a successful period in charge of Spanish club Valencia, who he guided to two La Liga titles and a UEFA Cup success.

While he has been at the helm, Liverpool won the UEFA Champions League in Istanbul in 2005, the FA Cup the following year and reached another Champions League final in Athens in 2007. He has also overseen success in both the UEFA Super Cup and Community Shield.

The club are currently the number one team in Europe according to UEFA's co-efficient ranking system, based on results over the past five years in European competition.
mikenoncorsa

18th Mar 09 at 21:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Liverpool won't be winning the league for the next 5 years then.........
Cosmo

18th Mar 09 at 21:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll take a few more CL finals if thats the case then.
Marc

18th Mar 09 at 21:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just finals?
Cosmo

18th Mar 09 at 21:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Marc
Just finals?

Cant win it if you're not in the final Marcus.
strick206

18th Mar 09 at 23:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cosmo

18th Mar 09 at 23:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im sure you Mancs (and blue shite too) will pretend to be happy about it - but the progress we have made since he has joined us in times where clubs (Chavski and United) have been able to throw £30m+ at players, and £20m+ at squad players is amazing.

Plus if you lot are so happy as he is suc a questionable manager - makes you wonder how he managed to organise a team to beat United by their biggest ever margine at home since the PL began.
strick206

19th Mar 09 at 07:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

First win at OT in 5 years, yes a good win but 5 years since your last one.

So i can expect that is all Liverpool fans will mention, we've also beaten you away a number of times since rafa came there
Aaron

19th Mar 09 at 08:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Serious question though, will he win the Premier League Title?

I think not.
Ben J

19th Mar 09 at 08:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats good for Liverpool, Rafa is a good boss, and good for the Prem. I think he will win the Prem before the 5 years are up.

[Edited on 19-03-2009 by Ben J]
Cosmo

19th Mar 09 at 09:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by strick206

So i can expect that is all Liverpool fans will mention, we've also beaten you away a number of times since rafa came there

Its not all, he has got to 100 wins faster than Fergie (a lot faster), he has been more successful in his first 5yrs here than Fergie ever was, and correct me if I am wrong - but Fergie didnt win the league in his first 7 seasons?!!
Nath

19th Mar 09 at 10:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
quote:

Its not all, he has got to 100 wins faster than Fergie (a lot faster), he has been more successful in his first 5yrs here than Fergie ever was, and correct me if I am wrong - but Fergie didnt win the league in his first 7 seasons?!!

United were down and out when Fergie came in. Small difference there. They went from being nearly relegated to dominating England under Fergie. Benitez came in to win the illusive Prem title, which he has yet to do.
Cosmo

19th Mar 09 at 10:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nath
United were down and out when Fergie came in. Small difference there. They went from being nearly relegated to dominating England under Fergie. Benitez came in to win the illusive Prem title, which he has yet to do.

The distance between United from the top when he came in, and Rafa and the top (given Romans millions were about then) were probably very very similar. We were a long long way off winning the league 5yrs ago, and now we are 4pts behind towards the end of March - having spent no where near the amount Chavski and Man Ure have.

If Rafa is given the right backing the next few transfer windows then we SHOULD win the league. If he doesnt then I think he'll walk himself.
Cosmo

19th Mar 09 at 10:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also not forgetting when Fergie came in at United the teams at the top went backwards (us mainly) where as since Rafa has come in the target has always been pushed forwards by Man Ure and Chavski improving year on year.
Nath

19th Mar 09 at 10:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You never were that far IMO. You spend consistent amounts of money every summer on average shite. Every once in a while Rafa gets it right. That's probably why he's not given that kind of cash.

[Edited on 19-03-2009 by Nath]
Cosmo

19th Mar 09 at 12:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nath
You never were that far IMO. You spend consistent amounts of money every summer on average shite. Every once in a while Rafa gets it right. That's probably why he's not given that kind of cash.

I wont argue he has spent money, but when people see the full amount they make out like he has had that all at one time. The fact is he has often had, say, £35m and needed to buy 3 or 4 players (as we dont have a decent squad) - so £20m goes on someone like Torres or Masch, and then the other £15m has to be split over 2 or 3 more players. Our net spend the last few transfer windows has been relatively small.

He has never been in a position where he can go out and buy 2 or 3 players in the £20m bracket in one transfer window - when that is the case I fully expect us to be going to the last day of the season still able to win the league.
strick206

19th Mar 09 at 18:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Rafa coming to a top 4 team is completely different to what Fergie had

Comparing Rafa to Fergie is laughable tbh, yes he may have got to 100wins, but the liverpool team was hardly a bottom ten team back then was it?

And regarding the money thing, United have built themselves to be able to spend that money (before the yankees cunts came in) and that is no excuse as to why liverpool can't spend that much, they should have built themselves as well as united so they could have the money to spend
Cosmo

19th Mar 09 at 19:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Rafa coming to a top 4 team is completely different to what Fergie had

Comparing Rafa to Fergie is laughable tbh, yes he may have got to 100wins, but the liverpool team was hardly a bottom ten team back then was it?

And regarding the money thing, United have built themselves to be able to spend that money (before the yankees cunts came in) and that is no excuse as to why liverpool can't spend that much, they should have built themselves as well as united so they could have the money to spend

Im not saying it is the same, Im pointing out that when Fergie took over the league was in a position where the then top teams were going backwards, where as since Rafa has taken over the top sides (other than Arsenal) have improved by a massive amount. So he is effectly chasing a target that is also running away from him, where as it was running towards Fergie. Hence how Im saying the jobs can compare to some degree.

And where did I say you havent earnt the right to spend the money? You Utd fans are half touchy about that subject. I have argued a number of times that you have earnt the right to spend it compared to the likes of Chavski who just have a rich owner - although in recend years as you point out you are just spending and adding to your debt rather than how you did it in the past.
Marc

19th Mar 09 at 20:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
where as since Rafa has taken over the top sides (other than Arsenal) have improved by a massive amount. So he is effectly chasing a target that is also running away from him,

I'd agree with that, but not the part about it turning around for Fergie because he was very nearly given the boot!
Cosmo

19th Mar 09 at 20:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Marc
quote:
where as since Rafa has taken over the top sides (other than Arsenal) have improved by a massive amount. So he is effectly chasing a target that is also running away from him,

I'd agree with that, but not the part about it turning around for Fergie because he was very nearly given the boot!

He was nearly given the boot as won fuck all for years and years (6yrs to win something, 7yrs from the title I think).

And just look at the tables when he took over in 1986, he took over a top 4 side...

85-86

Liverpool - 88
Everton - 86
WHU - 84
Manchester United - 76

86-87 (first season)

Everton - 86
Liverpool - 77
Spurs - 71
Arsenal - 70

87-88 (second season)

Liverpool - 90
Manchester United - 81
Forest - 73
Everton - 70

So he took over a top 4 side (no a relagation battling side) and it took him 7yrs to win it....I think I can compare him and Rafa fairly easily in that case
Marc

19th Mar 09 at 21:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

2 years to go then
Cosmo

19th Mar 09 at 21:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And just to prove my point further about the teams at the top turning to shit whilst Fergie was starting out at United...

League Winners from when Fergie was in charge upto 1992 season when United won it for the first time under Fergie - Everton, Liverpool, Arsenal, Liverpool, Arsenal and Leeds. Teams finishing 2nd to 4th include Palace, Sheff Wednesday, Villa, Spurs, OPR...in the 1992 season when United won it the next nearest winner from the above list was us in 6th place (Leeds who won it year before in 17th, Arsenal 10th, Everton 13th).

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Rafa signs a new 5yr contract 23 database queries in 0.0162671 seconds