corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » My garden progress thread - UPDATE 3/5/09 - Hot tub in, deck nearly done!

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author My garden progress thread - UPDATE 3/5/09 - Hot tub in, deck nearly done!
Dan
Premium Member

User status: Offline
   30th Mar 09 at 09:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Having moved out and into my first home with my gf in august 2008, we bought a nice 3 yr old place. Its a 1 bedroom with 3 garages under, and only 1 neighbour to immidiate right.

When we looked at it, we was amazed by the garden, its huge for a new build and such a small property

When we moved in, i dont think anyone had ever done anything with the garden from when it was built. The Weeds, nettles, grass etc etc was about 6ft tall full of frogs, snails and spiders.

I really wish i got a picture or 2 back then, but i totally forgot.

I spent about 3 or 4 mornings with the strimmer before work, and got it down to a decent level, then mowed it all to near the ground. I think we have about 30-35 sacks full of cuttings

Once it was all down i dug over the part inline with the houses and squared it off, leaving a big rectangle.

Both being young we want a garden that is as low maintanace as possible, but still looking nice. So i gravelled the part i had dug over and have just this min finished putting 8 plants in. Along with about 15 solar powered brushed alluminium lights

Heres the finished pics.

Cost so far:

2 tonne of gravel £200
8 plants from car boots £60
Edging slabs £30
Weed membrane £20 (enough left to do rest of garden lol)

So £310 and in my opinion it looks nice, and need no real maintance what so ever.

Still to do...

4.8m x 2.4m Decked area with baulastrading and half pergola

Possibly next to this area a hot tub set into decking, but raised well above other decking so you step up to it and down into the tub (not gonna be no £1000 tub, just one of the lay z spas but built in to look smarter)

Restore the grass and level it a bit to remove big dipped areas

Feeling old doing gardening at 23, but its a nice sense of achievment when you do it all yourself

[Edited on 12-04-2009 by Dan]

[Edited on 19-04-2009 by Dan]

[Edited on 03-05-2009 by Dan]

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

30th Mar 09 at 13:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as much as its low maintenance, I'd prefer grass because it looks better and its just nice to have a patch of grass to chill on.
a_j_mair

30th Mar 09 at 13:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looking good

we got ours done last year, we done the opposite though

took shed away and dug up 10 or so shrubs lifted path, some top soil and grass seeded it

looks good now

your plans sound good, hot tub
Dan
Premium Member

30th Mar 09 at 21:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Willay, i still will have about 20m x 5m of grass as well as that. That bits just to square off the side of the house part

Dan
Premium Member

31st Mar 09 at 10:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got my lazy arse out of bed this morning and cut the grass, ready to seed and fertilise it later in the week.

Really wish i had pics of it before, grass is lookin 200x better than it did.

Dan
Premium Member

31st Mar 09 at 10:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Check out the rubbish from where i dug all the grass out for the graveld area. Thats my project for 2mo, about 6 trips to the tip.

willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

31st Mar 09 at 10:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not enough stones mate
Dan
Premium Member

31st Mar 09 at 10:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sshh

Doldy

5th Apr 09 at 20:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks awesome, Plans sound good,
Kathryn W

5th Apr 09 at 21:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Make sure you have dug down enough on the stones.

We have loose slate in our gardens rather then grass... looks wonderful when its all done etc.. But as the previous owners didnt go down enough and use enough of the protection things, we now have grass growing to..

Going to be a right pain in the arse to cleaning all the leaves up
Ben J

6th Apr 09 at 13:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We've got those B&Q solar lamps. They are pretty good for the price but eventually they fill with water!
Dan
Premium Member

6th Apr 09 at 18:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i did a double layer of membrane over the entire area, the gravels about 3-4 inches deep id imagine

Dan
Premium Member

6th Apr 09 at 18:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no water in mine yet ben? Did u pay 24.99? i got them end of last summer for 10er a box, bout 4 boxes lol

Ben J

7th Apr 09 at 13:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dan
no water in mine yet ben? Did u pay 24.99? i got them end of last summer for 10er a box, bout 4 boxes lol

I got ours for a tenner too!!!

Two of ours have filled with water and gone green...so you get a cool green light effect.......got some spares luckily!!!

Richie B

8th Apr 09 at 23:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hoy some 5-a-side goals at each end and that'll be spot on
Dan
Premium Member

10th Apr 09 at 18:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ill pass on that ta richie.

Been out and splashed some pennies today for the garden, got myself this table

And also a big charcoal bbq...

Dan
Premium Member

12th Apr 09 at 11:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just bought some nice sunloungers

Comes as a complete set with the two loungers and a table

[Edited on 12-04-2009 by Dan]

Dan
Premium Member

14th Apr 09 at 11:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just been and ordered all the wood!! Be here friday, cant wait to get it started!!

All the wood for decking and pergola came to 300. Then the baulstrading and hand rails etc came to 180. so 480 for a 4.2 x 3m deck, not bad

Haimsey
Premium Member

16th Apr 09 at 21:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats an interesting side to the house, there are no lower ground windows

Marcy Marc

White Sport Progress Thread
Dan
Premium Member

17th Apr 09 at 16:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have 3 garages under me. And above is my place.

Haimsey
Premium Member

17th Apr 09 at 16:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah right

Marcy Marc

White Sport Progress Thread
Dan
Premium Member

17th Apr 09 at 17:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

all the wood arrived this afternoon. Gonna make the deck 4.2 x 3m now. With no pergola and hand rail on either end with half way across the front also railed

Dan
Premium Member

19th Apr 09 at 17:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had a few hours spare today so started the decking, built the table and chair set and also the sun loungers.

Sunloungers

Start of the decking, this is half of it, we only ordered 5 posts as we was told they was 3m, but there only 2.5, so it ment the 2 for one end would be too short for hand rail if we cut in half as planned.

Dan
Premium Member

20th Apr 09 at 16:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What sort of price would i be looking at roughly to buid a 2.8m x 2.9m slabbed area ??

Cosmo

20th Apr 09 at 16:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Arent you meant to make a decked area thats flat? Going to stuggle to defy gravity to sit on the decking sideways

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll