corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Apprenticeship, Income Help, Grants, Advice really...

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Apprenticeship, Income Help, Grants, Advice really...
Davidkent

User status: Offline
4th Apr 09 at 22:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi all.

As above really.

I'm looking at going back to learn again - Perhaps an apprenticeship in car mechanics or similar.

Now obviously this will lead to a pay cut which can make things very difficult.

I'm 19, obviously have left education, never went to college, just worked.
In an apprenticeship i'll be down to around £80-100 a week, obviously a lot less than i'm on at the moment.

I was just wondering if there's anything i'm entitled to.
I don't really understand the information i can find - There's grants of up to £30 a week for Adult learning and so forth, very Similar to the EMA thing, but obviously for an Adult.

I live at home, but the income is low and outgoings are high, thus making it difficult for my parents to support me as much as they'd like due to their own personal reasons.

Just looking for advice really - I'm just assuming some of you guys either work with this, or have been in similar situations yourself.

Cheers
fazza

4th Apr 09 at 22:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

your entitled to fuck all
fazza

4th Apr 09 at 22:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

without sounding like a badger
Firestate88

4th Apr 09 at 22:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im on an apprenticeship now
think your entitled to minimum wage when in an apprenticeship (as thats what im on and its appaulingly crap)
i havent heard about anything like that, but would be interesting to find out as id love some extra money to get paying of my debts
Davidkent

4th Apr 09 at 22:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thought that'd be the case - wasn't sure thats all

Badgerness accepted! lol
Davidkent

4th Apr 09 at 22:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Firestate88
im on an apprenticeship now
think your entitled to minimum wage when in an apprenticeship (as thats what im on and its appaulingly crap)
i havent heard about anything like that, but would be interesting to find out as id love some extra money to get paying of my debts

Yeah - Minimum requirement for apprentices is £80 a week i believe!
Sucks tbh but still, Qualification at the end of it
fazza

4th Apr 09 at 22:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just find a decent firm that pays good apprentice wages
Davidkent

4th Apr 09 at 22:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well I've got an interview Tuesday at a Local Renault Dealer - The guy seemed very keen, just hope i can set the right example and negotiate well! lol
Colin

Im doing an apprenticeship just now.

Englands different to Scotland but you can sometimes get a student loan, you need to apply to your local authority but student services at college/uni will be able to help you.
Firestate88

minimum is £80 a week for your first year then minimum wage after that
fuck thats going to be a killer at 19!
but then again when your 20 you'll be at the exact same stage as me just alot earlier into your apprenticeship
Chris x

4th Apr 09 at 22:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by fazza

Agreed!

Im in my second year. You just jave to think of the qualifications at the end of it and carrer prospects! Thats whats geting me threw it atm anyway
Davidkent

4th Apr 09 at 22:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah it does suck - Student loan isn't an option for me - Personal reasons again!

It'll be a killer, but i'll just make as much as i can on the side and see how i get on!
fazza

4th Apr 09 at 22:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i used to be a sparky and wages were shitas apprentice, and now i sell phones.

I earn more now selling phones as a qualified sparky, maybe i talk to muchos?
Davidkent

4th Apr 09 at 22:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bargain tbh - I'm gonna sell phones
Firestate88

4th Apr 09 at 22:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Corsa B
quote:

Agreed!

Im in my second year. You just jave to think of the qualifications at the end of it and carrer prospects! Thats whats geting me threw it atm anyway

how much you on in your 2nd year if you dont mind me asking?
freeman(sting)

4th Apr 09 at 22:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im an apprentice at the moment, my boss was going to pay me the £80 pound minimum but he's decided cause ive got a car to run and im 20, n that he believes im quite good i get £150 it mite be worth your while working for free then see how much there willing to pay if your good, i no as an employer id rather pay £150 for someone who does servicing and mild repairs than £80 for someone who makes tea and sweeps the floor,
fazza

4th Apr 09 at 22:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

come sell phones
shaunmods
Premium Member

4th Apr 09 at 22:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep the minimum wage for an apprentice is £80 a week which is what I got. I did a business and admin one last year and it worked out at something like £2.50 an hour I didn't get any EMA etc either but I really enjoyed it

Chris x

4th Apr 09 at 22:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Corsa B
quote:

Agreed!

how much you on in your 2nd year if you dont mind me asking?

1st year was £150 a week. 2nd year atm is £182 a week. But obv you get taxed on that. Which isnt much, but when its a shit wage it doesnt help!

Dont no how that compares to everyone elses?

I go to college day release, have as much time to study as I want, paid holidays e.t.c

Other apprentices seem to be on alot more than me but im not fussed atm. See what happens when im qualified!

Hope this helps!
Firestate88

4th Apr 09 at 22:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by freeman(sting)
im an apprentice at the moment, my boss was going to pay me the £80 pound minimum but he's decided cause ive got a car to run and im 20, n that he believes im quite good i get £150 it mite be worth your while working for free then see how much there willing to pay if your good, i no as an employer id rather pay £150 for someone who does servicing and mild repairs than £80 for someone who makes tea and sweeps the floor,

£150 a week! fucking hell i feel rich now i get about £190 a week
you dont want to know how much our old git at work gets for sweeping very slowly and drinking alot of tea during the day! takes THE piss honestly
Firestate88

4th Apr 09 at 22:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and chris corsa b sounds about exactly what im on atm same sort of stuff, but im on block release at college (1 week every 6)
just gets rather annoying when you work your tits off, are as good as everyone else but dont get paid it because of qualifications, and yet older people with no qualifications, do no benefitcial work get twice as much
Chris x

4th Apr 09 at 22:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
and chris corsa b sounds about exactly what im on atm same sort of stuff, but im on block release at college (1 week every 6)
just gets rather annoying when you work your tits off, are as good as everyone else but dont get paid it because of qualifications, and yet older people with no qualifications, do no benefitcial work get twice as much

I agree, theres a old boy in the area I work in whos on 30k a year. Does fuck all, drinks, leaves 5mins early for tea brakes and gets 5mins late back. Only little things but when you work your ass off and are more capable than him after 1.5 years than he is after 30years it gets to me. Previous apprentices have left due to him but the mangages do fuck all about it! Ahh well...thats life!

What do you do? Whats your pay scheme like? If you dont mind me asking

Edit: Im at college every Monday 9am til 6.30pm. Works out good as I blag it at work and get free paid days off during half terms and usually leave early. Its hard work tho! Get fuel money!

Doesnt help where I have to travel 50miles to work and back each day tho £££

[Edited on 04-04-2009 by Chris Corsa B]
Firestate88

4th Apr 09 at 22:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah thats exactly the same at my place
the old guys on £8.50 an hour, sweeps up slowly, takes twice aslong to do a job when hes allowed, and drinks tea like nobodys day, jst makes you wander why you bother working fast as

i work in a vehicle bodyshop as vehicle preper/sprayer (cars get parking dents, scatches, keyed, new bumpers)
i make vehicles look like new
also do a varied amount of other work aswell but prepping/spraying is my main job
my pay scheme was £80 for 4 weeks trial then minimum wage after that (as i started when i was 17 i automatically qualified for mimum wage as i was 18 a couple weeks later )
now on minimum wage atm £4.77 an hour, 8 hours a day (half hour lunch means half hour sleep in ) 5 days a week
when qualifed go up to £7.50 ....
oh and while at college for the week i get paid normal as if i was at work even though im at college for less hours and have longer breaks

[Edited on 04-04-2009 by Firestate88]

Chris x

4th Apr 09 at 22:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
yeah thats exactly the same at my place
the old guys on £8.50 an hour, sweeps up slowly, takes twice aslong to do a job when hes allowed, and drinks tea like nobodys day, jst makes you wander why you bother working fast as

i work in a vehicle bodyshop as vehicle preper/sprayer (cars get parking dents, scatches, keyed, new bumpers)
i make vehicles look like new
also do a varied amount of other work aswell but prepping/spraying is my main job
my pay scheme was £80 for 4 weeks trial then minimum wage after that (as i started when i was 17 i automatically qualified for mimum wage as i was 18 a couple weeks later :lol
now on minimum wage atm £4.77 an hour, 8 hours a day (half hour lunch means half hour sleep in :lol 5 days a week
when qualifed go up to £7.50 ....
oh and while at college for the week i get paid normal as if i was at work even though im at college for less hours and have longer breaks

Your lucky, Minimum wage isnt suppost to apply for apprentices!
Firestate88

4th Apr 09 at 22:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it applys if you start your apprenticeship before your 18th birthday
ive researched into all of it extensively
been on it for 3 years now though .... going onto four
college cocked it up so had to redo my level one through a different governing board
im on level 3 now so im getting there to payrise, wooo

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Apprenticeship, Income Help, Grants, Advice really... 22 database queries in 0.2853930 seconds