corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Anniversary of Hillsborough

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Anniversary of Hillsborough
Hammer

User status: Offline
15th Apr 09 at 13:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Absolute travesty what happened that day, criminal negligence from the highest level that remains unpunished 20 years on.

Poignant article I read this morning from a journalist there at the time - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1170083/JEFF-POWELL-ON-HILLSBOROUGH-That-sun-kissed-Saturday-haunt-forever.html

I believe you can follow all the live tributes from Anfield on LiverpoolTV or their website. 9pm tonight there's a documentary on their first match back to raise money for the victims as well.

Cosmo

15th Apr 09 at 13:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was going to post about this but decided against it. Took a picture of the Celtic banner on the Kop during the minutes silence against Blackburn.

My Dad was there that day with his sister and his Dad. My Grandad could see the shit hitting the fan so moved further round the stadium with his daughter and my Dad stayed in that stand. Thankfully he was to the back so didnt get in too much trouble.
Hammer

15th Apr 09 at 13:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Shocking to think loved one's just going to a game of football where never coming home.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/splash/hillsboroughremembered_080409_2.shtml

Half 2 the service starts on the above you can watch for free.
Eck
Premium Member

15th Apr 09 at 13:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

One of the biggest tragedies to hit British Football. As you said, it was gross negligence that cost the lives of 96 Liverpool fans, young and old.
Edd

15th Apr 09 at 13:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yep RIP we ourselves have suffered two disasters such a waste of human life

Hammer

15th Apr 09 at 13:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Never knew Gerrard's cousin was one of them

Turn out at the ground is superb as expected.
liamC

15th Apr 09 at 13:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

RIP to the 96.
Cosmo

15th Apr 09 at 13:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Hammer
Never knew Gerrard's cousin was one of them

Turn out at the ground is superb as expected.

Yeah the youngest one

Think they only expected the Kop to be filled, have had to open both the centenary and main stands also!
RyanSxi

15th Apr 09 at 13:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

RIP
Bram

15th Apr 09 at 14:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sad tradegy. I was at Hillsborough on Saturday and saw where it all unfolded. Pretty easy to see how it did
Cosmo

15th Apr 09 at 14:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

3.06pm

RIP
richard_cooper

15th Apr 09 at 14:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sad day.

My dad was there in the Forest end ( being a forest fan )

Never really talks about that day !
Ben J

15th Apr 09 at 15:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

RIP to the 96.

BUT, it was a catalogue of events/errors that day that led to the tragic deaths. Not all blame should be put on the police, which unfortunatley seems to be the case these days.

[Edited on 15-04-2009 by Ben J]
eddiewhiteley

15th Apr 09 at 15:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben J
RIP to the 96.

BUT, it was a catalogue of events/errors that day that led to the tragic deaths. Not all blame should be put on the police, which unfortunatley seems to be the case these days.

[Edited on 15-04-2009 by Ben J]

i agree, terrible as it was , how people can say the police were entirely to blame is beyond me.
Danny P

15th Apr 09 at 15:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What happend was tragic. Think its a bit harsh to try and push the blame entirely on SYP though, personally think it was a combination of many factors that casused the deaths of 96 people.

RIP to everyone that passed away. Nobody should ever die at Football.
Cosmo

15th Apr 09 at 15:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Of course it was a whole combination of events, but the buck rests with the police.

They are employed to protect the public - just opening the gates and allowing the whole crowd gathered outside to enter a penned in standing area was just ridiculous - and thats what ended up causing the deaths.
Ben J

15th Apr 09 at 15:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
Of course it was a whole combination of events, but the buck rests with the police.

They are employed to protect the public - just opening the gates and allowing the whole crowd gathered outside to enter a penned in standing area was just ridiculous - and thats what ended up causing the deaths.

Yep the police made a big mistake opening the gates, Hillsborough stewards made a mistake not managing the flow of fans well before the turnstiles etc and therefore controlling the numbers hitting the turnstiles, but also the Liverpool fans themselves, vast numbers who arrived at the ground very late, also contibuted in causing the situation.

My grandparents lived a 10 minute walk from Hillsborough, and my Grandad watched hundreds, if not thousands of Liverpool fans running past the end of their road 15 minutes before the game kicked off trying to get to the ground. Maybe if they had got there earlier etc. etc.

As I said, chain of unfortunate events.
Cosmo

15th Apr 09 at 16:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It wasnt due to them getting their late, it was due to 1000's of people who shouldnt of been let in actually getting let in because the police just opened the gates.

Of course the fans themselves who went in should of known better and are partly to blame, but it was the police's job to seperate the fans with tickets and the fans without.

Its not just then either that the families want looking into. The Taylor report done just after (which finds the police fully to blame) states that all the people had died by 3.15pm - so they did not look into what happened after this time.

But from reports from fans inside the ground, this was not the case. Even the ONLY paramedic and his ambulance that finally got to the far side of the stadium (at 3.37, a fully 31 minutes after the game was stopped) where it happened (as the police wouldnt let him drive over there) was not questioned by the Taylor report.

Now if that doesnt sound fishy to you then not sure what would!
Ben J

15th Apr 09 at 16:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
It wasnt due to them getting their late, it was due to 1000's of people who shouldnt of been let in actually getting let in because the police just opened the gates.

Of course the fans themselves who went in should of known better and are partly to blame, but it was the police's job to seperate the fans with tickets and the fans without.

Its not just then either that the families want looking into. The Taylor report done just after (which finds the police fully to blame) states that all the people had died by 3.15pm - so they did not look into what happened after this time.

But from reports from fans inside the ground, this was not the case. Even the ONLY paramedic and his ambulance that finally got to the far side of the stadium (at 3.37, a fully 31 minutes after the game was stopped) where it happened (as the police wouldnt let him drive over there) was not questioned by the Taylor report.

Now if that doesnt sound fishy to you then not sure what would!

Yeah....you are right, but if the fans hadn't arrived late, there wouldn't have been a huge amount of fans trying to get in all at once, and possibly the Police wouldn't have had to make the decision to open the gates?
Cosmo

15th Apr 09 at 16:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Once again, it had nothing to do with them getting there late - my Dad and his family had been in there way before 15mins before and their were problems - so much so my Grandad and his daughter had the time to move around to another side so they were well out of the way.

The blame on our fans is that they went into an area they shouldnt of once the gates were let open by the police - the gates should never of been opened in the first place.

Then what happened after 3.06pm has to be called into question...why did it take 31mins to allow an ambulance onto the pitch and to the other side? During those 30mins OUR fans had to carry the dead and injured over the fencing, using makeshift stratchers out of sponsor boards - where were the police/paramedics/stewards?

Even the only paramedic who got on there has come out and had a go at the police, asking why he wasnt allowed on. He was even prevented driving past the half way line by them - but he ignored and drove right to where he was needed.
Danny P

15th Apr 09 at 16:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was there not traffice problems around the Stadium that led to a lot of people turning up to the gates late, and then trying to get in for kick off? Given it was a Semi-Final and the way Football worked back in the late 70's it would be near impossible to seperate those with, and without tickets.

Communications will also have been poor. There was an interview with one of the Police on duty last night on our local news and he couldn't even hear his radio becuase of the noise coming from the fans so he/they didn't really know what was going on. Again, with the way some of the fans were in the late 70's you can forgive the Police for thinking people running on the field was Hooliganism.

Once they realised it wasn't however, I cant see any reason why Ambulance services wern't allowed inside the groumd, was it just 1 that was? I bet if more had been allowed in a lot of lives could have been saved.

I do think things need to be investigated into though, as someone should be made responsible for what happened. I think a lot of things may well have been brushed under the carpet with regards to why certain things did, and didn't happen.
Marc

15th Apr 09 at 16:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As a mark of respect I'm not going to retaliate when Cosmo takes the mick when United get knocked out tonight
Cosmo

15th Apr 09 at 16:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Danny P
Once they realised it wasn't however, I cant see any reason why Ambulance services wern't allowed inside the groumd, was it just 1 that was? I bet if more had been allowed in a lot of lives could have been saved.

I do think things need to be investigated into though, as someone should be made responsible for what happened. I think a lot of things may well have been brushed under the carpet with regards to why certain things did, and didn't happen.

1 ambulance was finally allowed onto the pitch 30 minutes later. He was told not to go past the half way line to help people but he drove right upto where the trouble was. Their is a really really good interview somewhere from that paramedic, the guy is traumatized and just doesnt understand why he wasnt allowed to go earlier (as he was there in his ambulance for the whole game) and why no one else came to help.

The whole 'hooliganism' thing is just an excuse they have tried to use for years. The came should not of started, let alone get 6 mins in. The crushing problems were clear for all to see, even Bruce Grobbalaar has said people were crying out behind him for his help way before things were stopped.
Danny P

15th Apr 09 at 17:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Alan Hansan told someone to get of the pitch an all, thinking he was a hooligan, so if it was in his mind, you can see why the Police thought similar.

But yeah the game shouldn't have kicked off. You can see from the footage that the end was packed before the game kicked off and it didn't look the safest. Them bars at the front didn't help either, if they hadn't have been there folk would have been able to escape easier.

Must have been awful helping out fellow supporters. Something I admire about the Liverpool fans is thier togetherness, in fact I think its reflected across the whole city.
strick206

15th Apr 09 at 18:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Horrible what happened, RIP to all those who lost their lives

Have done some reading up on it today about what happened the report etc

Also read about another disaster which unfortunately looks like liverpool fans fault. This one however, was an unfortunate sequence of events with the blame pointed in various areas

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Anniversary of Hillsborough 23 database queries in 0.0124688 seconds