corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » How much to footballers earn?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author How much to footballers earn?
FruitBooTeR

User status: Offline
16th Apr 09 at 08:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not into football but I know they earn a fair whack...

But is it more than the president earns? I thought hed be on more tbh im sure the top footballers earn more

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8001255.stm
eddiewhiteley

16th Apr 09 at 08:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

a lot of footballers earn much more than obama
Cosmo

16th Apr 09 at 09:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats about £40-45k a week, probably above the average player earns a week in the PL, but less than half the top earners make.
dannymccann

16th Apr 09 at 09:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it Cristiano Ronaldo whos on £120k a week? And Beckham is the best played player in the world is he not? Something equivalent to £5m a year?!

edit - although a lot of that is branding and advertising + shirt sales or something?

[Edited on 16-04-2009 by dannymccann]
FruitBooTeR

16th Apr 09 at 09:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Makes me sick

Its only football ffs uuuu lets all kick a ball around and get paid billions
James

16th Apr 09 at 09:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TBH most decent bankers get at least £5m.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

16th Apr 09 at 09:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the current President is more then likely going to earn even more when he stops being a president tbh.
Cosmo

16th Apr 09 at 09:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

At the end of the day its all down to ability.

The fact is top footballers have something you cant learn (you couldnt go out today and work and become a top player) so they can demand a high wage.

Much like top bankers, movie stars, musicians, etc. etc. earn big big money.

Its life, get over it.
willay
Premium Member

16th Apr 09 at 09:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes but in contrast Cosmo, a footballer who kicks a ball around a field all day earning more then the guy whos basically leading one of the biggest countries in the world.... its all bollocks really.
Cosmo

16th Apr 09 at 09:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
yes but in contrast Cosmo, a footballer who kicks a ball around a field all day earning more then the guy whos basically leading one of the biggest countries in the world.... its all bollocks really.

But should a guy who is leading the world, voted in by us and employed by us (well, US), really get paid that much anyway?

Plus he pays for fuck all!
FruitBooTeR

16th Apr 09 at 09:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats what im trying to say willay, not just comparing to the president either actualy what about the forces, emergency services etc....far more important than footballer but get paid pennies in comparrison
Cosmo

16th Apr 09 at 09:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by FruitBooTeR
Thats what im trying to say willay, not just comparing to the president either actualy what about the forces, emergency services etc....far more important than footballer but get paid pennies in comparrison

Because almost anyone can do that job - I could go tomorrow and do it - it doesnt take any specific skills that only a small proportion of the population has.

May seem unfair, but at the end of the day its the economic market at work and how it has been for years upon years.
mwg

16th Apr 09 at 09:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The PM over here doesn't get paid that much really either. Tony Blair will be making a hell of a lot more money now that he isn't PM and being a speaker at functions.
Shell
Premium Member

16th Apr 09 at 10:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
quote:

Because almost anyone can do that job - I could go tomorrow and do it - it doesnt take any specific skills that only a small proportion of the population has.

May seem unfair, but at the end of the day its the economic market at work and how it has been for years upon years.

I mean to cause no offence but do you stop to read some of the things you come away with? You could go out tomorrow and be a top notch brain surgeon yes? Like yourself, i could go out and spend every waking minute striving to achieve that, but what about those who are simply born gifted? Do they make hundreds of thousands a week? I understand your point that it's always been the way and i appreciate the value of sportsmen and entertainers. I just don't agree with trying to justify the way things are by generalising!

[Edited on 16-04-2009 by Shelley]
FruitBooTeR

16th Apr 09 at 10:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Shelley
quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
quote:

I mean to cause no offence but do you stop to read some of the things you come away with? You could go out tomorrow and be a top notch brain surgeon yes? Like yourself, i could go out and spend every waking minute striving to achieve that, but what about those who are simply born gifted? Do they make hundreds of thousands a week? I understand your point that it's always been the way and i appreciate the value of sportsmen and entertainers. I just don't agree with trying to justify the way things are by generalising!

[Edited on 16-04-2009 by Shelley]

+ Footballers arnt risking their lives unlike some of the jobs, and surely thats worth more than a kick about?
Nath

16th Apr 09 at 10:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are people that naive to think football is just a load of blokes kicking a ball about?

It's business. BIG business. Alot of football clubs are worth hundreds of millions.
Mobby

16th Apr 09 at 10:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It is silly, but you wouldnt moan if you were a footballer
Cosmo

16th Apr 09 at 10:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Shelley

You dont seem to understand at all how a free market economy works...

Neurosurgery isnt a multi-billion pound industry - so although they dont earn £100k+ a week they do earn a very large amount for what the industry is worth. Now to use your example somewhat - a private plastic surgeon...he is at the top of his medical profession and can earn much much more than a footballer does in a week.

Now, back to football. Its a multi billion point industry, probably one of the largest industries in the UK actually given the popularity of the Premier League. The attraction of our big name stars to sponsorship, TV channels and the general viewing public is huge - infact its probably the number one 'money spinner' the Premier League has going for it. So therefore these big names can demand a large proportion of the revenues.

And that is how a free market economy works. So did I read what I wrote? Yes. Was it based on fact? Yes.
FruitBooTeR

16th Apr 09 at 10:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When you say it like that cosmo I can see what you mean it does make sence really xxx
nik

16th Apr 09 at 11:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thing is, footballers have a gifted skill and earn their respective clubs millions. Man United wouldn't have won what they have without top class players - and that costs money.
John

16th Apr 09 at 11:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The main reasons I think footballers get paid too much is that they whinge when they play more than one game a week and they are regularly not on top of their game.

If I was being paid 100k a week i'd expect to be fit enough to play 5 of they days if it was required.

Brain surgeons (an oft used example, including in here, I couldn't really care how much they get paid) don't get many oppertunities to not score the goal or do a bad pass do they.
Daimo B

16th Apr 09 at 11:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Obama earns only $400k per year for being president.

The rest was earn't on his very well selling books.

Whilst a premireship player may EARN £120k per week, he'll only take home about £40-£50k of that due to tax band at that wage level.

Still, footballers are vastly over-paid for what they do and IMO the wages should be capped like American Football has done.

Personnal sponsership is something completley different.

Cosmo, so you think that way.....?

What about supermodels who just are born pretty and earn millions, whilst the local fireman saving lives every day gets pittance...

[Edited on 16-04-2009 by VXR]
Cosmo

16th Apr 09 at 11:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR
Cosmo, so you think that way.....?

What about supermodels who just are born pretty and earn millions, whilst the local fireman saving lives every day gets pittance...

Its not that I think that way, but that IS how the free market economy works. End of. Please dont try to argue with that - its like trying to argue with Pythagoras.

And again Supermodels is a perfect example of my point - they have something (their looks/walk/whatever) that not everyone can do - hence why they can demand so much.
willay
Premium Member

16th Apr 09 at 11:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nath
Are people that naive to think football is just a load of blokes kicking a ball about?

Obviously they arent just aload of blokes kicking a ball about but that sums it up nicely.
Daimo B

16th Apr 09 at 11:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But they don't DO anything other than naturally being pretty......

Its a shambles and if anything an embarrasement on the human race to take looks and natural prettyness over someone who is happy to risk their life every day to save others......

It IS how the economy works, but is it HOW the economy should work? No.

[Edited on 16-04-2009 by VXR]

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » How much to footballers earn? 22 database queries in 0.0187509 seconds