corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Job Day...Surveyors

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Job Day...Surveyors
JayCarr

User status: Offline
19th May 09 at 16:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I currently work on the Railway as a civil engineer/surveyor and could well be getting made redundant

I've always wanted to get into surveying full-time, as we only do a little bit of surveying in my current job. Want to get out of the rail industry ideally.

So is anyone on here a surveyor, who do you work for? or do you know of any decent surveying companies, websites etc i could look into.

Nath

19th May 09 at 16:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I work 'in' surveying. I work for Leica, but on the service side.
Richie B

19th May 09 at 16:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm a QS, so maybe not exactly what you're looking at. Got made redundant and it's hard (here anyway) to find vacancies.
JayCarr

19th May 09 at 16:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah everytime i search 'surveyor' it comes up with QS's, but unfortunately thats something i have had nothing to do with.

Nath, i've used Leica total stations before, but we have just started to use Trimble more now. Do they do their own surveys for clients? Or just provide surveying equipment?
Bram

19th May 09 at 16:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm a QS, work for Tarmac but again, not much going in the road surfacing industry at the mo
Nath

19th May 09 at 16:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just provide it. Some of the companies I can remember doing repairs for are:

Optical
Paul MacArthur Ltd
Survey Instrument Sales
SCCS

I'll make a note of some more at work tomorrow

[Edited on 19-05-2009 by Nath]
Nath

19th May 09 at 16:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also, is the Trimble stuff better, or did you switch due to cost?
JayCarr

19th May 09 at 16:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks Nath that would be brilliant I'll have a look at the ones you've listed now.

I found the Trimble stuff slightly easier due to the colour screen and with the handheld unit you can scroll through the settings etc easier. But that said, i only used the Leica system once, and have only used the Trimble one 3 times so not used either a great deal of times. Also the dozers we use have been set up to use Trimble which may be another reason behind using them.

[Edited on 19-05-2009 by JayCarr]
random dav
Premium Member

19th May 09 at 17:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I am land/building surveyor, work is arse at the minute.

I only work for a small company and have gone from 8 people working there to 3 in the last 12 months.

A few big compnay up here are http://www.survops.co.uk/ and http://www.survsys.co.uk/

WRLFC !

Project cars
Colin

19th May 09 at 17:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I used to be a QS / estimator / buyer (I think they refered to me as a contracts surveyor as I done everything!) for a small family owned donestic building sub contract - hated it, handing in my notice was the best thing I done there!!
AndyKent

19th May 09 at 18:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm a building surveyor but we do tons of design work/land surveys etc.

Being completely honest now, we haven't seen any difference in our workload in our department (theres only 6 of us though lol). We have had a couple of redundancies in our auctioneers department as that has fallen on its arse, but surveying is still going strong - I'm told strongest in the company

Unfortunately we're only small and not looking for anyone
Tiesto

19th May 09 at 19:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Our company used to have a land surveying division, but they set up on their own. www.survey-solutions.co.uk.
Did a little surveying work with them, but when i had to survey Coventry Airport in the dead of winter i knew it wasn't for me!
JayCarr

19th May 09 at 19:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Andy that sounds exactly what i'm after. Bit of design work along with surveying etc. All the land surveying jobs are after qualifications, but all i have is 1 year of ONC civil engineering and foundation surveying/setting out. What qualifications do you have? Or start out with?

Cant afford to have to become a junior or trainee/apprentice though.

Colin, yeah i dont think i could do QS or anything like that. Seems a little boring imo.

Tiesto- i've worked 3 winters outside surveying now so i must like it for some reason

[Edited on 19-05-2009 by JayCarr]
AndyKent

19th May 09 at 19:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In the nicest possible way, you're sort of in the worst place qualification wise. You haven't got the right letters to be fully qualified but you won't be cheap enough to take on as a proper junior as you say.

Not sure what to suggest to you really

I've got an ONC in Construction (2 years), and a Diploma in Surveying Practise (2 years) and now on the first year of my 4 year degree. Seems like its taking forever, but I'm still on a decent pay for someone my age, so doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Will be 2012 before I qualify though
jrsteeve

19th May 09 at 19:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you're good at maths etc then go for QS.
I'm shit so am training to be a building surveyor, plus i find it more interesting personally. I'm on a 5 year part time course with Salford University (one day a week). First 2 years are an HNC then you move on to the degree in 3-5.
Richie B

19th May 09 at 19:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

QS is really varied tbh, more than just measuring and billing etc, jrsteeve. Just depends what you land yourself in, I guess
jrsteeve

19th May 09 at 19:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Richie B
QS is really varied tbh, more than just measuring and billing etc, jrsteeve. Just depends what you land yourself in, I guess

Fair does, i'm just going off the bit we've covered this semester, defo not my bag! Useless to me anyway tho cos i'm an estate/letting agent
Mad Moe

19th May 09 at 19:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm a QS and had my own property development company for a number of years however with the housing market being on it's arse I went back to contracting and must admit things couldn't be busier for me at the moment, guess that's one of the perks for working for a large company
Richie B

19th May 09 at 19:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you know of any vacancies, Moe?
Mad Moe

19th May 09 at 19:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Richie B
Do you know of any vacancies, Moe?

I'll have an ask for you mate, although I know they have been filling alot of the vacancies at the moment internally from our Leeds office
Richie B

19th May 09 at 19:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can imagine! Cheers
Mad Moe

19th May 09 at 19:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No problem mate, I know how hard it is for people in the industry at the minute, especially in the North East
Richie B

19th May 09 at 19:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, it's really hard around here to find anything right now. I'd heard that there was a lot of places making redundancies and putting people on notice etc too.
JayCarr

19th May 09 at 19:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just had a look at some trainee QS jobs just to see what its all about and the pay isn't good enough And they ask for 3 A levels, i have none.

I dont know what i'm going to do, to do what i want to do i need to join as a trainee but there's no way i can do that really.

I understand where you're coming from Andy, thats the trouble, i haven't got the qualifications. I dont know what i'm going to do if i do get the chop.
Richie B

19th May 09 at 19:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anything you go into as a trainee is probably going to have a low salary until you either get a few years experience at a company or get your quals

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Job Day...Surveyors 23 database queries in 0.0142319 seconds