corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Mountain Bike

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Mountain Bike
iceman

User status: Offline
24th Aug 09 at 11:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hey All
I'm looking for a mountain bike upto £500 to ride to work and general get out and about when its nice, was looking at specialized any suggestions?

Stu
Tom G

24th Aug 09 at 11:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=495093
jacko198

24th Aug 09 at 11:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Specialized crosstrail
Colin

24th Aug 09 at 11:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Apparently im eligible for that ride to work scheme...even though I work in the drink. Something to do with a company participating must have it open to all employees?

I just sold my bike because I never used it.
jacko198

24th Aug 09 at 11:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could always get one, get youre 40% off, and then sell it
Fad

24th Aug 09 at 15:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the conditions of the Cycle to work scheme is that the bike should be used primarily for the commute to work....how do they check up on this?

Jacko you cannot sell the bike as the tax relief you receive is on the basis that it is a registered asset to the business participating to which you can purchase them at fair value after 16-18 months later.....

Has anyone tried this if you only have the intention to cycle to work twice a week for example?

Also I thought you only save the VAT on the biike?
deano87

24th Aug 09 at 17:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I used to work for a bike shop. Someone bought a massive freeride/downhill bike on the cycle to work scheme. I don't reckon they use it to commute

Buy anything Specialized and it won't do you no harm
Fad

24th Aug 09 at 17:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes looking at a Specialized Hardrock or Rock Hopper
Simon

24th Aug 09 at 17:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I doubt they check or care if you are using it for work really, I know my work don't. Don't go for a hardrock if you are going to be mainly riding roads thought. Fat tyres which are a pain
Nath

24th Aug 09 at 17:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Fad
the conditions of the Cycle to work scheme is that the bike should be used primarily for the commute to work....how do they check up on this?

Jacko you cannot sell the bike as the tax relief you receive is on the basis that it is a registered asset to the business participating to which you can purchase them at fair value after 16-18 months later.....

Has anyone tried this if you only have the intention to cycle to work twice a week for example?

My Dad qualifies through his work and he works 35 miles away
mwg

24th Aug 09 at 17:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had my Specialized road bike that I got on the bike to work scheme for over 2 months now and not ridden it to work once. My work aren't bothered as long as I pay what I owe I can do what I want with it. Also we dont bother with the purchase thing at the end, its mine already.

My company is pretty relaxed about these things, I imagine if you got one whilst working for a big company it would be a complete and utter pain in the arse.
Tom G

24th Aug 09 at 17:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Fad

I got a bike they dont check up at all, nothings been said about it and i use it for random biking and such stuff, not for work

Edit: I work for a NHS Hospital.....

[Edited on 24-08-2009 by Tom G]
jacko198

24th Aug 09 at 17:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its 12 months, and you can sell it if you want, they will not want it back. You pay a tiny fee, for example a 500 bike you only end up paying £15 to "buy" the bike off the company, because they dont want it back.

It comes out of youre wages before tax, VAT and NI. So you end getting around 40% off, it just depends on you're tax bands etc.

Oh and they dont check up on it at all, when they started a while ago, they used to say you have to ride it into work at least once a month, but thats not the case anymore.

Besides, it is a government scheme, trying to get more people out on bikes and out of cars, so they really dont mind at all.

You can also put more than one bike on a scheme, although the rules say you cant, its pretty simple, just put the bike(s) down as a more expensive one. We do it all the time in my work (bike shop)
Fad

24th Aug 09 at 17:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Simon
I doubt they check or care if you are using it for work really, I know my work don't. Don't go for a hardrock if you are going to be mainly riding roads thought. Fat tyres which are a pain

Well i was thinking I would change the tyres for some Crosstrail tyres or get some spare wheels to chop and change using the quick release system as I will predominatly be using it on country tracks hills etc
jacko198

24th Aug 09 at 17:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh and specialized crosstrail would be perfect for what youre after.

With 700x45 tires, the centers are slick which is going to help you get the speed up on the road, but the sides have got alot of grip, and with them being 45 wide, there going to have more grip than a 35/38 for example.
It will still have suspension, which is perfect for the off road you want to do, but you can lock it out for the road riding youre going to do, which will help you gain the speed.

Hope that helps!
Tom G

24th Aug 09 at 17:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My Claud Butler Cape Wrath is a good all rounder
Fad

24th Aug 09 at 17:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jacko198
Oh and specialized crosstrail would be perfect for what youre after.

With 700x45 tires, the centers are slick which is going to help you get the speed up on the road, but the sides have got alot of grip, and with them being 45 wide, there going to have more grip than a 35/38 for example.
It will still have suspension, which is perfect for the off road you want to do, but you can lock it out for the road riding youre going to do, which will help you gain the speed.

Hope that helps!

Cheers for that much appreciated, the only issue I have is that there is always going to be comprimise which way I go.

The problem with a Hybrid like the Cross Trail i dont think it would take the punishment and give the comfort on the pothole ridden roads near me. Then the comprimise with MTB is the tyres which I think I can get round with road slicks.

I think if i do more road riding i'd invest in a road bike. Just need to get back into cycling as its been a while!

Its a mindfield atm
jacko198

24th Aug 09 at 19:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah too true, theres so much choice, but not enough hah.

Some tyres like the crosstrail armadillo would be good, nice and grippy, but still roll fast

Oh and give me youre 182
Mad Moe

24th Aug 09 at 20:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've been looking at this Hybrid on our Ride to Work scheme

Bianchi Camaleonte 2
Nath

24th Aug 09 at 20:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think I'm going hybrid, but with front suspension. A slight compromise that way.
Mad Moe

24th Aug 09 at 20:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nath
I think I'm going hybrid, but with front suspension. A slight compromise that way.

A lad at work has just bought a Trek 7200 Hybrid which has front suspension and is very reasonably priced
jacko198

24th Aug 09 at 23:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah the trek 7200 series is there version of the specialized crosstrail.
Every manufacturer has a version of the same bike.

Oh and that bianchi cameltoe looks quite nice, they always make nice bikes
PhilC

25th Aug 09 at 14:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just bought an Orange G3 on cycle to work scheme... I live 30 miles away... (all motorway!)
PhilC

25th Aug 09 at 14:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Check out Orange G2, Trek 6300, or Specialized Rockhoppers.

Good time to buy, 2010 models are hitting the shops, so 09s are being cleared!
GF-91
Banned

25th Aug 09 at 14:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Might buy a cheap one for about £120 for a ride about
I miss being somewhat healthy :/

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Mountain Bike 22 database queries in 0.0128789 seconds