corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » £5,000 to set up a little business

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author £5,000 to set up a little business
M2RTY

User status: Offline
8th Sep 09 at 12:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

seeing as dark nights are coming in I'm looking at setting up a little something to keep me busy and make a bit of extra money. Will be working 8-4 so this is really on an evening or weekend.

Want to work from home out of my office, would like to keep costs capped at £5k, the business side of things I have covered, just need a few ideas of what I can do before I commit. I have 2 ideas in my head but like to explore all routes beforehand.

Also seen 2 opportunities on ebay to take over from the current owner, which has its advantages and disadvantges. Who know

Thanks
Neo

8th Sep 09 at 12:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is that a statement or a question
Marc

8th Sep 09 at 12:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I take it you have a basic idea of the things you would be potentially doing?
Cosmo

8th Sep 09 at 12:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TBH 5k isnt really enough to set up a proper business doing anything really, its enough to set up something on ebay but Id say thats about it.
M2RTY

8th Sep 09 at 12:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
TBH 5k isnt really enough to set up a proper business doing anything really, its enough to set up something on ebay but Id say thats about it.

yes, just online working from home really. Not a shop or anything major as yet, too many other commitments at the moment with buying a 2nd home, work and college etc.

Yes I have a couple of ideas but its always good to see other peoples ideas in case they are better lol
Neo

8th Sep 09 at 12:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah i do, and there is a lot of people on here that can help, i just dont understand what is the question

taking over an existing company will be far more difficult imo.

There is loads to think about .
Cosmo

8th Sep 09 at 12:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Maybe post your ideas and see if they can be expanded on?
M2RTY

8th Sep 09 at 12:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Neo
Yeah i do, and there is a lot of people on here that can help, i just dont understand what is the question

taking over an existing company will be far more difficult imo.

There is loads to think about .

if its just buying the equipment cheap, then won't be hard. Start up under a new name and new location
Cosmo

8th Sep 09 at 12:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats not taking over someones business then, thats just buying their machining and starting your own business!!
Marc

8th Sep 09 at 12:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Maybe post your ideas and see if they can be expanded on?

Thats what I was getting at, not sure how much you want to tell people on here though!
J da Silva

8th Sep 09 at 12:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't mean to sound pedantic, but if you need a bunch of teenage corsa owners (the odd older head here and there) to guide you into a path of owning a small company then whatever the market path it probably won't work.

[Edited on 08-09-2009 by J da Silva]
Marc

8th Sep 09 at 12:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll have you know Cosmo is a professional buisnesswoman.
Cosmo

8th Sep 09 at 12:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Marc
I'll have you know Cosmo is a professional buisnesswoman.

Business and woman in the same word
M2RTY

8th Sep 09 at 14:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by J da Silva
I don't mean to sound pedantic, but if you need a bunch of teenage corsa owners (the odd older head here and there) to guide you into a path of owning a small company then whatever the market path it probably won't work.

[Edited on 08-09-2009 by J da Silva]

yes but brainstorming different ideas to rule out anything I have not given thought to is something I like to do. Like I said, the business management side of it I am fine on.
DizzyRebel

8th Sep 09 at 15:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

5k is enough to start a business, ill be starting mine on a 5k budget.

What was you thinking about doing?

For a business to be successful you have to identify your target market, take into account all of your competitors then come up with your own unique selling point (ie why is your product/service better than the competition) then advertise it to your target market.

Its ok to say you want to start a business doing/selling 'X' but you have to ask yourself will it actually be profitable?

[Edited on 08-09-2009 by DizzyRebel]
Cosmo

8th Sep 09 at 15:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DizzyRebel

No its not.
DizzyRebel

8th Sep 09 at 15:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

No its not.

Erm yes it is, who the fuck are you the business police?

You could start a landscape gardening business, mobile valeting, plumbing, electrician, civil engineering, signwriting... the list is endless.

5k will buy me a van, a years insurance, the workwear and extra tooling ill need to start up on my own, this was verified by the princes trust and their team of experts.

Cosmo

8th Sep 09 at 16:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

No its not.

You could start a landscape gardening business, mobile valeting, plumbing, electrician, civil engineering, signwriting... the list is endless.

5k will buy me a van, a years insurance, the workwear and extra tooling ill need to start up on my own, this was verified by the princes trust and their team of experts.

No, Im a realist who has been there and done it.

OK, lets take any of those examples above...you have everything you have suggested then you need....business insurance (many different kinds you'll need as working on someone elses property), bank account costs, accountant costs, incorporation costs, and thats before you factor in ANY marketing costs.

So you may think you can start a business on £5k, but you'd be dreaming. It may buy you the raw goods that you feel you need to do that job, but then their is much more on top of that you actually need to have in place.
DizzyRebel

8th Sep 09 at 16:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hence why i went to the princes trust to get expert advice on the matter and a realistic estimate of the outlay.

Business insurance - depending on your business it can vary, but by law all you need is public liability insurance which is under £100 a year. The rest is just precautionary measures but even so they dont cost as much as you think. My van and contents insurance is going to cost me a grand.

Bank account costs - go to barclays, they do 18 months free banking for new customers starting up a new business

Accountant costs - you dont need an accountant. I intend to do my books myself and its actually not that big a deal, just means i have to fill out a spreadsheet once a week and do my own tax return.

Marketing costs are business dependant, but for any of those mentioned a few hundred spent on business cards, leaflets and local paper advertising will suffice. Not to mention signwriting a van as the best form of mobile advertisement.

Im a realist, and i can assure you that its possible to start off small and build things up along the way. My startup costs are under 5k, the winter i might only earn £500 a week - yet in the spring/summer months ill take anywhere between 1-2k a week.

Its all about knowing your market and doing your research. If your smart you can do it on a budget, if you have a negative attitude you have already failed before you go live.
Cosmo

8th Sep 09 at 16:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I still stick by the fact you cannot (and wont when you end up doing it) start up a business on £5k, not a 'proper' business anyway (i.e. not buying and selling on ebay or the likes, thats piss easy to do on £100!).

Its all well and good doing it on paper and thinking you know it all and have budgeted, but I'll tell you now it just wont happen that way and £5k will end up being double that.
CorsAsh

8th Sep 09 at 16:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sig, above, me, agree.
Boycey

8th Sep 09 at 16:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

No its not.

No, Im a realist who has been there and done it.

OK, lets take any of those examples above...you have everything you have suggested then you need....business insurance (many different kinds you'll need as working on someone elses property), bank account costs, accountant costs, incorporation costs, and thats before you factor in ANY marketing costs.

So you may think you can start a business on £5k, but you'd be dreaming. It may buy you the raw goods that you feel you need to do that job, but then their is much more on top of that you actually need to have in place.

Maybe your family business cost more than 5K to start but you can't say every other business will need more than 5K to start.
Cosmo

8th Sep 09 at 16:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Boycey
Maybe your family business cost more than 5K to start but you can't say every other business will need more than 5K to start.

I wasnt even relating this to what we've done, thats different as we have premises, stock, employees, etc. So thats wasnt what I was going on.

My opinion is based on parts of above (some do relate to all businesses), other general personal experiences and a business management degree.
CorsAsh

8th Sep 09 at 16:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqa08UGZGtk

Is this you M2RTY?
DizzyRebel

8th Sep 09 at 16:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I still stick by the fact you cannot (and wont when you end up doing it) start up a business on £5k, not a 'proper' business anyway (i.e. not buying and selling on ebay or the likes, thats piss easy to do on £100!).

Its all well and good doing it on paper and thinking you know it all and have budgeted, but I'll tell you now it just wont happen that way and £5k will end up being double that.

Mobile motorcycle mechanic and recovery. I need 2.5k for a van, 1k for insurance, 500 for extra tools then probably 500 on advertising, workwear and signwriting, £250 to join the fsb and get a wireless card machine and the rest can sit in the business account or buy me some consumables if i really want to be ahead of my game.

Ill not disclose all the figures and plans i have for it as i dont want people stealing the idea, but rest assured ill be getting everything ready over winter ready to go live next season.

If the princes trust say it can be done then it really can be done, somone on the internet whos opinion conflicts without facts to back it up wont put me off.

FYI a friend of mine set up a landscaping business on £1100 3 years ago. Now his net profits are reaching the 50k mark already...

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » £5,000 to set up a little business 22 database queries in 0.0169258 seconds