corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Is Coke Zero Healthy?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Is Coke Zero Healthy?
Doug

User status: Offline
17th Nov 09 at 19:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have recently made the switch from normal Coke to Coke Zero, is it better for me?
Nath

17th Nov 09 at 19:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cant be any worse.
Anty
Premium Member

17th Nov 09 at 19:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

read discription on can..

citric acid etc.. also contains veg oil !!
Paul_J

17th Nov 09 at 19:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's not got any sugar in it... So that's always good.

However, the fact it's a carbonated drink it's not good for your teeth and is known to be pretty bad for your digestive system.

I think some have phosphoric acid and things which have been linked to cancer.

I used to drink easily 2 litres of pepsi max / diet pepsi a day and never had any problems though.
Doug

So is that good or bad?

Is Pepsi Max better?

Or is Diet Coke better?
Tiger

Definitly not any better for you. It has more Aspartame in it which dulls your brain receptors. Regular coke has it but zero has more due to containing less sugar.

http://www.dorway.com/

Its widely known by the government, food standards agencies etc. The sheer scale of companies like Coca Cola though seem to have a massive factor on keeping it under-rug-swept.
Paul_J

17th Nov 09 at 19:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Doug
So is that good or bad?

Is Pepsi Max better?

Or is Diet Coke better?

I think they're all labelled bad.

In my opinion a diet version is definately more healthy for you than standard coke / pepsi or whatever - as the amount of sugar in the normal full fat version is crazy! However, it doesn't really make any of the range 'healthy'.

However, as I say, I've drunk Pepsi Max / Diet Pepsi (sugar free) for years with no issues. A lot of people will scare monger (mostly because Pepsi / Coke full fat is bad for you, and thus stupid people believe any product which shares the name must also be bad )
Ben G

17th Nov 09 at 19:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

coke must have some form of sugar in it, whether they say it has or not.

no fizzy drinks are good for you in all honesty. water is the best form of re-hydrating yourself.
Brett
Premium Member

17th Nov 09 at 19:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fuck that, full fat Pepsi/Coke ftw! Would rather drink water than those sugarless wastes of space.
Paul_J

17th Nov 09 at 19:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tiger
Definitly not any better for you. It has more Aspartame in it which dulls your brain receptors. Regular coke has it but zero has more due to containing less sugar.

http://www.dorway.com/

Its widely known by the government, food standards agencies etc. The sheer scale of companies like Coca Cola though seem to have a massive factor on keeping it under-rug-swept.

That is quite funny mate... I have never noticed any 'dulling' of brain receptors, if anything I find my productivity increases / I can think more sharply when I've been drinking a lot of Pepsi Max etc... (which is prob due to the caffine increase).

I do think that if you look hard enough you'll find good / bad evidence on anything...

In the same way, one second it is said 'Red Wine' Or 'Chocolate' is good for you and then the next second there's a survey that says the complete opposite that it is bad for you. Show me people who have died from drinking Pepsi Max / Diet Pepsi etc.
Paul_J

17th Nov 09 at 19:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
coke must have some form of sugar in it, whether they say it has or not.

no fizzy drinks are good for you in all honesty. water is the best form of re-hydrating yourself.

Coke has sugar...

Diet coke has artifial sweetener, Aspartame.

Since Aspartame is a lot sweeter than sugar, you only need to use a fraction of Aspartame, where as you need to tip in bags full of sugar to get the same level of taste in normal coke.
Tiger

17th Nov 09 at 19:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Look at it another way: Prove that chemicals like aspartame havent contributed to the increase in brain tumors, brain lesions and lymphoma since its introduction.
Tiger

17th Nov 09 at 19:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Quoted from dorway website:

quote:
Aspartame was never and cannot be proven to be safe. It is not and cannot be a diet aid because the formaldehyde (from the breakdown of the 10% methanol) gets stored in the fat along with some water. The National Soft Drink Association developed a 30-page protest (in the ’80s) that mentioned the fact that aspartame in a beverage was unstable, and that it reduced the levels of serotonin (a substance that gives one that “full” feeling), which can induce a craving for carbohydrates.

L-Aspartyl-l-phenylalanine methyl ester, 98%, aspartame CAS #22839-47-0 (a.k.a. Equal, NutraSweet, Spoonful, Benevia, Equal Measure, etc.) is composed of (at least) three things:

1.) aspartic acid, (around 40%) CAS # 56-84-8
2.) phenylalanine, (around 50%) CAS # 63-91-2
3.) methanol (wood alcohol) (10%) CAS # 67-56-1

The phenylalanine breaks down into diketopiperazine (DKP), a known tumor agent, and it is the reason for the FDA mandated “PHENYLKETONURICS: Contains phenylalanine” (PKU) warning label. Diketopiperazine was the major impediment to approval noted in the Searle “Helling” memo.

The methanol (with no natural antidote of Ethanol) breaks down in-solution (diet coke, whatever) into formaldehyde. The human liver also breaks down “free” methanol from any solution into formaldehyde. The body has difficulty eliminating formaldehyde so it combines some of it with water and stores it in the fat. What is not stored in the fat is further converted to formic acid (same thing as ant sting poison).

So, with each sip EVERY user gets a micro-dose of three poisons, two of which (formaldehyde and formic acid) are known carcinogens… along with that side-order of DKP, the tumor agent. A science report was done on diet cokes. The contents of the unopened cans was later evaluated by a reputable food testing laboratory that proved the methanol to formaldehyde conversion, even in the unopened container cooling off in the refrigerator, and the phenylalanine to DKP conversion.

A fairly complete list of aspartame breakdown components from the aspartic acid, phenylalanine, and methanol is as follows:

Formaldehyde (embalming fluid) CAS # 50-00-0 CH2O
Formic Acid (ant poison) CAS # 64-18-6 CH2O2
Beta Aspartame **
Aspartylphenylalanine **
Aspartylphenylalanine amide **
Tyrosine CAS # 60-18-4 C9H11NO3
L-Dopa **
Dopamine **
Norepinephrine **
Epinephrine **
Phenylethylamine CAS # 64-04-0
Phenylpyruvate **
Phenylactic acid **
Phenylacetic acid CAS # 103-82-2
Diketopiperazine (DKP) CAS # 106-57-0

[Edited on 17-11-2009 by Tiger]
Paul_J

17th Nov 09 at 19:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Look at it another way: Prove that chemicals like aspartame havent contributed to the increase in brain tumors, brain lesions and lymphoma since its introduction.

That is a rediculous argument.

Prove that eating copius amounts of cabbage doesnt give people brain tumors, brain lesions and lymphoma.

I suppose you also believe co2 is to blame for global warming
Tiger

17th Nov 09 at 19:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
quote:

That is a rediculous argument.

Prove that eating copius amounts of cabbage doesnt give people brain tumors, brain lesions and lymphoma.

I suppose you also believe co2 is to blame for global warming

Hell no! I don't even believe such a thing exists. Its just another excuse to change the way the world is by giving a reason that so many people actually would believe.

And as far as i'm aware, cabbage doesnt contain formaldehyde?
Paul_J

17th Nov 09 at 19:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thing is Tiger... the amount of aspartme in diet coke is tiny. It only contains these things on paper, in such a small form the body wont be effected. However, dumb americans can spin a tale for you to believe (mainly because they're against the big corps).

Thing is, take the fluoride thats in our tooth paste... Fluoride is a harmful substance consumed whole in large quantities...

however, we all still brush our teeth containing fluoride... why aren't we dead??? oh - thats right, it contains a small 'safe' amount...

hence my point about the coke containing bad things.
Tiger

17th Nov 09 at 19:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Thing is, take the fluoride thats in our tooth paste... Fluoride is a harmful substance consumed whole in large quantities...

however, we all still brush our teeth containing fluoride... why aren't we dead??? oh - thats right, it contains a small 'safe' amount...

hence my point about the coke containing bad things.

Fluoride is another substance that causes reduced brain activity. We are told that its put in toothpaste, and in some places, in the water because it's good for our teeth.

The truth is, in Canada they researched it in two states. One was BC where they add fluoride, I can't remember what the other state was but it was a state that didnt add flouride to the water. The result was that the state that didnt add fluoride to the water had better dental health. This is obviously argued by the health sector but with a huige conflict of interest: they are being funded by the people that are adding the fluoride to the water.
Paul_J

17th Nov 09 at 19:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah ok mate

I suppose you prob think the aliens are probing our minds too and we should wear foil hats

You know what they say...

If you don't like the Diet coke in the Uk...
ed

17th Nov 09 at 20:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you drink a bottle of normal Coke then you're receiving 66% of your RDA of sugar, in one bottle. This is the reason why it says that one bottle is two servings, because the label can then have 33% next to the sugar content.

Drink Diet Coke, it has no nutritional value what so ever, just chemicals and caffeine
Tiger

17th Nov 09 at 20:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
yeah ok mate

I suppose you prob think the aliens are probing our minds too and we should wear foil hats

You know what they say...

If you don't like the Diet coke in the Uk...

They can read your mind through foil. Dont you think they thought of that already
glasgow_corsa_c

17th Nov 09 at 20:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

7up Zero./diet/light..watever the fuck its called FTW boys!
ed

17th Nov 09 at 20:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I think that people who aren't scientists should stop trying to pretend to be scientists.
Tiger

17th Nov 09 at 20:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
quote:
I think that people who aren't scientists should stop trying to pretend to be scientists.

And that the scientists that do research with credible evidence should make their research better well known.

Hear hear.
Paul_J

17th Nov 09 at 20:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by glasgow_corsa_c
7up Zero./diet/light..watever the fuck its called FTW boys!

7up diet will contain the same sweeters...

in fact anything that is diet / low sugar, but still tastes nice will have aspartme in it... it's harm less...

Tiger - you can find scientific surveys that say anything... you'll often have a 50:50 split... some proving things one way and some proving it the other...

you've just chosen to read one side and believe it.
ed

17th Nov 09 at 20:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ed
quote:

And that the scientists that do research with credible evidence should make their research better well known.

Hear hear.
They do, if you read journals and not extracts published on websites that have been selectively chosen to prove a point you'd understand. At least the abstract of nearly every reputable published report is available from various sources.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Is Coke Zero Healthy? 22 database queries in 0.0187371 seconds