corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Megane 230 F1

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Megane 230 F1
A2H GO

User status: Offline
14th Dec 09 at 13:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would post this on a Renault Forum but cba with signing up etc and i know most people on here don't actually drive Corsa's anymore.

Basically, i sold my Clio 182 Cup in Summer to free up some money for a house. Ive since bought the house and decided to buy a Mini Cooper S. Ive owned it for 3 months and ive made the decision that its not the right car for me, there is no 'fun factor' and it does'nt make me smile when i drive it like the Clio did.

Im getting on a bit now(24) and so insurance is coming down, abeit by not very much and i need something faster and more fun to drive. Previous cars include Corsa GSi, 2.0l Corsa, Lupo GTi, Type-R, Mini JCW, Brabus Roadster, Clio 182 Cup. I have around 9k to spend and with the Clio being the best car to date IMO, i was looking at another, possibly a Trophy with change left over. However im also considering taking a step up and looking at the Megane 230 F1.

Now i have a house i have to be more careful with money, so what i really want to know is, are the overall costs of running a car like this considerably more than the likes of the smaller Clio 182(which i know from previous experiance i can comfortably afford to run/maintain)? As the last thing i want to do is buy on, love it and realise i cant afford to keep it. Also, if so are these extra costs worth it for the extra power/fun and has anybody else made this move? ie. Corsa > Astra VXR or Focus ST etc.
Wrighty

14th Dec 09 at 13:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

turbo cars need a bit more maintaing for exmaple more regular oil changes but what is the car used for? is it your daily drive, what mileage do you do etc?
A2H GO

14th Dec 09 at 13:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im quite handy with cars so dont mind doing some of the maintainence myself. It would be my daily drive, comute to work and back is around 20miles a day(not that far really). Im used to 34mpg from the Clio and around 30mpg from the Mini driving sensibly, i can cope with that...
richc

14th Dec 09 at 14:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You driven a 197 clio?

I was so close to buying one but being young - i wasnt prepaired to pay £250 a month to insure it.

Had real fun factor, wants to rev alot, handles like a little go kart, awesome little thing. Quiet nippy too.

Get one for 9k, the one i had a go in was £10k
richc

14th Dec 09 at 14:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://pistonheads.com/sales/1398048.htm
richc

14th Dec 09 at 14:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://pistonheads.com/sales/1274934.htm
Baskey

14th Dec 09 at 14:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Megs have an extra gear over the clio you are used too so can get ok mpg when crusing.

Im of the same oppinion as you, having a 172 as a daily drive and driving the minis for work i always thought the minis were far less fun to drive.

Go gor the f1, they have the fun of the clio, with the addition of boost.
A2H GO

14th Dec 09 at 15:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by richc
You driven a 197 clio?

I was so close to buying one but being young - i wasnt prepaired to pay £250 a month to insure it.

Had real fun factor, wants to rev alot, handles like a little go kart, awesome little thing. Quiet nippy too.

Get one for 9k, the one i had a go in was £10k

I do like the 197's a lot and they have a good road presence but was worried that it would just be an expensive 182 Granted i am yet to test drive one. Plus if i had a normal 197 id always be wanting the F1(12k upwards) whereas there are a couple of F1 Meganes around the £9k mark.
John

14th Dec 09 at 15:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

These are taking my fancy recently (as in the past couple of days), not the F1 specifically, just the meganes in general.

Are they fast though and how well do they remap (i'm off googling, just if anybody knows it's good info for the thread).

How is the build quality compared to the clio?
richc

14th Dec 09 at 15:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Meganes are pull quiet good from what i have seen, can be a right weapon in the right hands. I went on a track day around donnington, and a head guy from renault was nailing it around (standard 225), and looked very quick.

Granted, i aint got a clue on the road .

Build quality is ok actually, but my mates 07 megane (not sport) had problems with his handbrake. I drove it once, went to pull of at a junction and couldnt due to it sticking on (like a plain accelerator style).

250 after a map, not going to be a slouch is it!
Jambo

14th Dec 09 at 16:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Great cars.

Gf's MY07 Clio has no quality issues whatsoever and great dash plastics so i would imagine the Megane is the same if not better.

White F1 FTW
Daimo B

14th Dec 09 at 16:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Wrighty
turbo cars need a bit more maintaing for exmaple more regular oil changes but what is the car used for? is it your daily drive, what mileage do you do etc?

Not really.

VXR's have a 20,000 mile service interval.
A2H GO

14th Dec 09 at 16:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are there any owners on here? What MPG are we talking daliy driving, taking it easy with the odd bit of 'spirited driving'?

Ive heard 260 after a remap and that they handle well.
Nick-S

14th Dec 09 at 17:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For the last few weeks ive been toying of the idea of getting an R26 for my next car. They seem to be quite cheap and are very well spec'd, and from what ive read they get nothing but good reviews.

I dont no much about tuneing them but from what i can gather, stage 1 (mapping and filter) should see around 260bhp and 280 lbs ft.

The only experiance ive got with hot Renuaults is with a Clio 200 cup and i liked that alot! If it handels anything like that id be more than happy. plus you get the lump of turbo charged torque that you dont get with the n/a clio which is
corsayoung

14th Dec 09 at 17:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my brother in laws got the renault 225 sport, tell you what it pulls very very well and had no problems for well over a year now

he managed to get his on finance for 10k so it is worth the money in my opinion, he has had it mapped by renault them selves for a small fee as he knows a bloke who works in the one where we live and my god!

epiccc
gavin18787
Premium Member

14th Dec 09 at 18:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only thing that people dont seem to like is the driving position but thats all personal preferance and you would know as soon as you drove it if you liked it or not anyway

Drives supercharged Tec with torque
richc

14th Dec 09 at 18:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by gavin18787
Only thing that people dont seem to like is the driving position but thats all personal preferance and you would know as soon as you drove it if you liked it or not anyway

too high?
gavin18787
Premium Member

14th Dec 09 at 18:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

aye feels like you sit on rather then in. Havent driven one myself but have a few 182's and the press etc say they have the same problem

richc

14th Dec 09 at 19:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yer i think same
gavin18787
Premium Member

14th Dec 09 at 19:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Saxo is the same, french must be short or like feeling high up

tom-gardiner

14th Dec 09 at 19:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

impreza
evo
pulsar gti-r
rx-7 twin or single turbo
skyline r33
clio v6

the listof possibilities goes on.....
strick206

14th Dec 09 at 20:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

*cough*

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=531895
N16K

14th Dec 09 at 20:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lohen LCS1 210bhp will make your S more fun, worked for mine.
A2H GO

15th Dec 09 at 10:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by tom-gardiner
impreza
evo
pulsar gti-r
rx-7 twin or single turbo
skyline r33
clio v6

the listof possibilities goes on.....

All far too old for 9k, im looking at 2005 or newer with less than 40k on the clock, never been a fan of older cars.
A2H GO

15th Dec 09 at 10:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by strick206
*cough*

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=531895

Only 3k above my price range Lovely Car either way.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Megane 230 F1 23 database queries in 0.0157790 seconds