corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Decent weight bench (and beginner weight set!) recommendations

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Decent weight bench (and beginner weight set!) recommendations
Laney

User status: Offline
   14th Jan 10 at 15:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As the title says really, I'm after a decent adjustable bench (incline/decline) and I've got a relatively open budget (ie, I'm willing to pay for something if its top notch!)

Doesn't need to hook under a rack 'cause its just for dumbells/situps at the moment

Thanks Sports Day

[Edited on 15-01-2010 by Laney]
Dan
Premium Member

14th Jan 10 at 17:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

"at the moment"

What are your future plans? theres no point waisting your money now, and needing better in a few months.

Are you going to use barbells?

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
Marc

14th Jan 10 at 18:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you plan to do everything at home I'd get a bench as it will come in handy even if you do plan to buy fixed equipment later on.
Laney

14th Jan 10 at 18:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dan
"at the moment"

What are your future plans? theres no point waisting your money now, and needing better in a few months.

Are you going to use barbells?

Yeah possibly. I'm never gonna lift anything massively heavy as I only do weights to suppliment Thai training. I kinda presumed anything worth having would probably be fine for both? Maybe not

What's everyone else using?
DizzyRebel

14th Jan 10 at 18:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

york stuff is decent and cheap, get one that can incline too.
dan_m1les

15th Jan 10 at 12:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yorks highest level bench, will last a life time and does incline and decline! Pricey but its top notch and we sell a lot of them!

http://www.bishopsport.co.uk/product.asp?strPageHistory=search&numSearchStartRecord=1&strParents=0&CAT_ID=0&P_ID=6224&btnProduct=More+Details
Laney

15th Jan 10 at 13:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm thinking that I'll get a relatively cheap one initially then upgrade to something more substancial when I get the room and a bar!

Does anyone squat at home?
Dan
Premium Member

15th Jan 10 at 15:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea i squat at home, although ive invested in a power rack for maximum safety.

I need a new bench now. something without a rack at the back. just funds being tight cant afford it at the min

If your gonna spend 50 or 60 quid now, ud be better off spending more and getting what will last a lifetime and be useful for all its time. Unlike a small lightweight bench.

You say u wont lift much, but in under 6 weeks i went from a 30kg bench press to a 70kg and now beyond. it soon shoots up, and you wouldnt wanna be under that should it break etc.

Laney

15th Jan 10 at 16:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dan
Yea i squat at home, although ive invested in a power rack for maximum safety.

I need a new bench now. something without a rack at the back. just funds being tight cant afford it at the min

If your gonna spend 50 or 60 quid now, ud be better off spending more and getting what will last a lifetime and be useful for all its time. Unlike a small lightweight bench.

You say u wont lift much, but in under 6 weeks i went from a 30kg bench press to a 70kg and now beyond. it soon shoots up, and you wouldnt wanna be under that should it break etc.

You're right, I think I need to invest in a decent bar as well. How much weight can your bench take? I'm only 73kg so I'm guessing one that can take 200kg sounds about right?
Dan
Premium Member

15th Jan 10 at 18:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

220kg i think including bodyweight, but thats not gonna be alot for much longer. But i now have a power rack, so for the big lifts, im not gonna be using the bench no more (once i get my flat bench).

Anyone who is serious about there training at home, and does it on there own, id highly recommend a cage, its saved my arse twice already. If i didnt have it, id not train anywhere near as hard, for fear of failing and chopping myself in half

Laney

15th Jan 10 at 19:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dan
220kg i think including bodyweight, but thats not gonna be alot for much longer. But i now have a power rack, so for the big lifts, im not gonna be using the bench no more (once i get my flat bench).

Anyone who is serious about there training at home, and does it on there own, id highly recommend a cage, its saved my arse twice already. If i didnt have it, id not train anywhere near as hard, for fear of failing and chopping myself in half

What size weights did you start with/recommend? Am I right in thinking Olympic bars are thicker and longer?
Dan
Premium Member

15th Jan 10 at 21:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have had olympic from the start, about 175kg i think i have including the bar.

Then i bought some york spin lock cast iron dumbells. and 8 extra 5kg plates.

Defo go for the olympic. have a look on powerhouse fitness, they sell starter kits

Laney

15th Jan 10 at 22:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dan
I have had olympic from the start, about 175kg i think i have including the bar.

Then i bought some york spin lock cast iron dumbells. and 8 extra 5kg plates.

Defo go for the olympic. have a look on powerhouse fitness, they sell starter kits

I've been on there most of the afternoon actually

Concluded this is probably a pretty decent deal? Clicky
Dan
Premium Member

15th Jan 10 at 22:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how about this...

http://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/standard-strength-package-2.php

Dan
Premium Member

15th Jan 10 at 22:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

less weight, but comes with a very good bench.

Depends on budget really though

Wrighty

16th Jan 10 at 08:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

already had some weights so i got this

http://www.gymworld.co.uk/prodpage.asp?ProdID=713

got sleeves too for standard of olympic weights. over time iv collected something like 250kg of weights too....expensive.

edit- was something like £200 from argoose

[Edited on 16-01-2010 by Wrighty]
Dan
Premium Member

16th Jan 10 at 13:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you cant squat with that tho can you wrighty?

Wrighty

16th Jan 10 at 16:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you can yea, bench goes forward and locks out.
Pop

16th Jan 10 at 17:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wrighty - There are no dimension on the website. Roughly how tall are the arms that the bars slides up and down on?
Dan
Premium Member

16th Jan 10 at 17:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tbh, id rather have my power rack than that.

Smith machines only allow a straight up/down movement, so they dont help stabiliser muscles.

Also have the lat low attachments - pull up bars, dip bars etc. Much more value for money, and alows a much bigger range of safety

Pop

16th Jan 10 at 18:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My only issue with power racks is the price. I know you get what you pay for etc but they are a lot.
Wrighty

16th Jan 10 at 21:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Pop
Wrighty - There are no dimension on the website. Roughly how tall are the arms that the bars slides up and down on?

errrr hard to say its not at my house il measure it up for you 2mo if you like?

im only about 5.7 and its bigger then me so doesny matter
Pop

16th Jan 10 at 21:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah if you could measure it it would be much appreciated.

I'm 6'3" so it comes into play a bit more.
Dan
Premium Member

16th Jan 10 at 23:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Power racks are as cheap as this

Dan
Premium Member

16th Jan 10 at 23:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is what i have...

http://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/bodymax-cf375-power-rack-system-with-latlow-pulley.php

Ring and ask if they can do it for same price someone you know paid (£220) and they will drop the price

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Decent weight bench (and beginner weight set!) recommendations 24 database queries in 0.0148299 seconds