corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » any advice before i start lol

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author any advice before i start lol
tomo2k9

User status: Offline
18th Mar 10 at 11:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hey all i picked up the paint for my car yesterday got everything i need to get it sprayed, but i dont want to rush into it i want to make sure everything is perfect, so has anyone got any good advce for me ? iv brought 5lt of panel wipe to degrease the surface, just need some orther pointers rely. also there is abit of metal showing were iv sanded how to i get around that ? would the paint go over that ? or would i need to try and get some primer on it ? there was primer on it but it dident seem to take to it, so if anyone has any tips for me then it will be all taken in and be great hel cheers
Rich H

18th Mar 10 at 11:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Would it not be best to ask your college lecturer seeing as you're learning this? Think you'll regret not paying that £300 thats for sure.
tomo2k9

18th Mar 10 at 11:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

true but im not in colage all this week so wont see him, but i think i wil ldo a good job if i take my time with it, i done a perfect job on my bumpers and arches so hopefully i will do the same on the side of my car

[Edited on 18-03-2010 by tomo2k9]
Mike GSi

18th Mar 10 at 11:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good luck! If the Bodywork didnt take to the Primer it sure as hell isnt going to take to the Paint. Also good luck with matching Silver.

Awaits the 'I wish i paid the £300 Now' Thread.
tomo2k9

18th Mar 10 at 11:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no its only abit about a size of a penny just were the metal is, but ill sort it out, and iv matched my silver all i had to do was give them my coulour code then once its all done im gonna pay to get it moped simple! anyway if you lot havent got no good advice then get the fuck off my thread instead of basicly saying im going to fuck it up, atleast im having ago and not blowing all my money on something i no i can do myself
corsayoung

18th Mar 10 at 11:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

try using, if you are applying paint onto the paint work, metal primer, don't use the plastic primer you used on the bumpers arches etc etc.
ed

18th Mar 10 at 11:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You want to paint a whole car, but you're asking questions like 'do I need primer?' and 'what do I do with bare metal?'. Do you think you've bitten off more than you can chew by any chance?
Tomnova16
Premium Member

18th Mar 10 at 11:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just take your time, are you blending the colour into the door?
You may have given them the correct colour code but there will be variants of that colour, lighter, darker, bluer, yellower, finer, coarser, did the place you got it from put colour chips against your exsisting paintwork, if not then blend the adjacent panels or get the correct match

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
tomo2k9

18th Mar 10 at 11:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

iv never said do i need primer i said the primer dident take to the metal bit (witch is a size of a penny) so is there anyway i can get around this thats what i asked, and also im not spraying the hole car im spraying the side because it had a smash, and i dont think iv "bitten off more than i can chew" i no i can do this but i just want to make sure i get everything perfect before doing it, anyway ill prove you all wrong
tomo2k9

18th Mar 10 at 11:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tomnova16
just take your time, are you blending the colour into the door?
You may have given them the correct colour code but there will be variants of that colour, lighter, darker, bluer, yellower, finer, coarser, did the place you got it from put colour chips against your exsisting paintwork, if not then blend the adjacent panels or get the correct match

no mate im spraying the hole side of my car so i dont need to blend it, but hopefully it wil turn out alright lol
Mike GSi

18th Mar 10 at 11:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im not trying to slate you or your work, in fact i think its ace that you're attempting it yourself. Im just saying Matching silver is not easy, painting bumpers etc silver is simple enough, but matching silver panels is near impossible, as you said in the previous thread you are going to be sprayinig the whole side of the car? Front wing, door, rear qauter and the A,B and C Pillars?

Matching the Front wing with the Bonnet is not going to be easy. Thats all i saying
tomo2k9

18th Mar 10 at 11:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yh but everntually i want a carbon fibre bonet or even just a new freshly painted bonnet, but im gonna have it all moped so i hope that will make a diference
Tomnova16
Premium Member

18th Mar 10 at 11:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just put etch primer Upol acid 8 is best out the can over any bare metal, in very light coats letting it dry in between, sounds like the solvent is reacting so doing it very lightly should stop this.
you spraying inside, try and put some plastic masking if you have it on the walls and water on the floor to stop dust

tomo2k9

18th Mar 10 at 11:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tomnova16
just put etch primer Upol acid 8 is best out the can over any bare metal, in very light coats letting it dry in between, sounds like the solvent is reacting so doing it very lightly should stop this.
you spraying inside, try and put some plastic masking if you have it on the walls and water on the floor to stop dust

see now that is advice, this is what im looking for little tips like that lol, cheers tom, and yh iv got a massive garage, was thinking about making some sort of paint booth out of plastic dust sheeting if that would work, put all plastic over the walls then just tape the plastic to the celing and drop it down to the floor so its all dust free inside, if you get what i mean lol
Tomnova16
Premium Member

18th Mar 10 at 11:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mopping wont make a difference with the colour as the colour is under the lacquer, only works on direct gloss (solid colour) it will make a slight difference but not alot.
the angle to the boot is ok to not worry abot colour difference

[Edited on 18-03-2010 by Tomnova16]

tomo2k9

18th Mar 10 at 11:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cant i sand it down with super fine sand paper then mop it ? we done that in colage and it makes a hell of a diference if you no what i mean, it takes the top layer of or summut
Rich H

18th Mar 10 at 11:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tomo2k9

18th Mar 10 at 11:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rich H

whats that for ? it can be done iv done it at colage my teacher showed me and it rely does work its only fine scrathces so the mop get them out peace of piss
tomo2k9

18th Mar 10 at 11:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im off anyway people gonna get all this preped and ready cant wait to see the results
Tomnova16
Premium Member

18th Mar 10 at 11:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

polishing lacquer wont change the colour of the silver underneath

Rich H

18th Mar 10 at 11:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know, I wet sand regularly and help Tom out from time to time with de-nibbing and polishing.

Wet sanding the lacquer will not help change the colour though.
Mike GSi

18th Mar 10 at 11:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There isnt alot you can do with the colour of the paint tbh, which is why blending is needed, if you blend over a few inches you're going to notice it. if you blend over a larger area the less likely you are going to notice.
Tomnova16
Premium Member

18th Mar 10 at 11:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it will remove scratches but not change colour, thats what you said you wanted to mop it for

tomo2k9

18th Mar 10 at 16:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i want to mop it to give it its shine back and make the paint look more even and then you mite not be able to notice the repair and were i have sprayed it
Tomnova16
Premium Member

18th Mar 10 at 16:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you mean mop the fresh paint or the old paint

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » any advice before i start lol 23 database queries in 0.2272861 seconds