corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » following the threads about mpg and miles to a tank..

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author following the threads about mpg and miles to a tank..
ali_corsa

User status: Offline
9th Apr 10 at 23:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

With the rising fuel costs. How many people have changed the way they have drive? Or dont use there car as much as they use to? Or even changed there car to save money.

I have noticed i rareley go over 3,000rpm and on national speed limits i just sit at 60 mph. I dont really use the car as much as i use to either i walk to the shops. I try and not use the car when possible just to save mpney on fuel
All Torque

9th Apr 10 at 23:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My gearbox whines too much so I usually change gear at 4k anyways.

I went from a 37mpg car to a 22mpg car at the start of March plus now I drive down to Dartford every week so thats a bit of a killer, but I don't really care about the costs
Ian W

9th Apr 10 at 23:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I seem to drive quicker and so end up putting more fuel in now. Not good
Ben G

9th Apr 10 at 23:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i changed from the focus to the puma to save cash but that was to buy a house, not just because of petrol prices.

used to put £60 quid in and get 200 miles to a tank.

put £40 in the puma and get between 260-300 miles to a tank.

lot of difference.

don't really drive any slower though, depends how i feel on the day.

i paid 117.9p a litre today, tonight driving home i see a bp station selling it for 121.9p.

disgusting!!

[Edited on 09-04-2010 by Ben G]
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

9th Apr 10 at 23:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I seem to be giving mine stick quite a lot recently. Probably making up for all the tootling around I had to do over the shit winter, now that it's warmed up again and my car's gripping properly again, I'm making the most of it

I'm using my car for work more often than a couple of months back so I'm probably doing 150-200 miles a week in it compared to the 25-50 that I was doing before. As long as it's warmed up I'm happy to give it stick if I'm on a good road for it but I find myself hunting the good roads out too instead of taking the more straightforward motorway route.

My car's wierd anyway, I managed my best tank for ages the other week, 380 miles and 160-odd miles of that was a random drive which incorporated the Cat n Fiddle pass, the Snake pass and various other roads were I leathered it, yet other times I can drive more sensibly and only get 320miles out of a tank.

I'm not fussed anyway, I enjoy driving, I know it costs me but so do most things that we enjoy.

I like to think I'm doing my bit for the economy as I rag my way round the back roads of the UK smashing my way through petrol, tyres and brakes
pow
Premium Member

10th Apr 10 at 02:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I do the typical fill it up, drive like a granny for half a tank for 50MPG+ then drive like a cunt for the bottom half
BarnshaW

10th Apr 10 at 07:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i just drive like a badger regardless, adding 3p to a litre of fuel is not going to make me drive any less , i will just accept that i have had to pay a little bit more for the pleasure.
Nic Barnes

10th Apr 10 at 07:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its the same as when electricity and water went up. Did you use any less of that? Dont see the problem in carrying on the same as when fuel was 80p a litre. You still need it. On a 40 litre tank its gone up about a tenner or just over. Too early to do maths. Ten quid aint gonna break the bank. Just stop wasting so much getting smashed on a weekend. Job done.
deano87

10th Apr 10 at 07:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
I do the typical fill it up, drive like a granny for half a tank for 50MPG+ then drive like a cunt for the bottom half

I may have been victim to this too
Andrew

10th Apr 10 at 08:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My car will move this morning for the first time in 2 weeks Decided to MOT and then sell it on in a couple of months when it's confirmed i have another van for 3 years, if not will be traded on a cheap and cheerful diesel Punto when i've saved some cash. I don't use it because of fuel prices but because i don't get chance to drive it anymore. Weekends i tend to drive my Mum's when i'm running her about as she won't get shut of it but not well enough to drive currently.

I tend to stop at Tesco and retail parks during the week when passing to get my bits and pieces. Can't be fucked with most of my mates anymore, they are more trouble than they are worth sadly. Bad times

Planning on getting an old VW Camper and building that in the next few years when my friggin garage is built. Something i think worth spending insurance money on

I try to stick to the speed limits now and drive normally. Not worth the risk - oh and i'm getting old
broster
Premium Member

10th Apr 10 at 08:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Iv got the wrong car to be trying to save fuel, cant say iv tried to be more economical with it but now its getting warmer and lighter at nights ill be riding my bike to work and back
Gazdaman

10th Apr 10 at 11:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I changed my car to save fuel. I had a 2L Audi 80 that did about 20mpg.

But I commute 70miles a day. So I bought a 1.5D Corsa.

That does a real 56mpg, which is 500miles to ~42L.

With the rising cost of fuel, I'm glad this is what I've got! I'm not fussed about driving fast, I've got a nice interior I can chill out in, and nice stiff suspension to attack the corners.

Life's good.
saj_123

10th Apr 10 at 11:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have changed the way I drive, I usually get the push bike out if I am doing less than 3 miles, ok fair enough it takes me a bit longer to get places. When I do drive I rarely go over 3k only if I need to get through a changing traffic light.

[Edited on 10-04-2010 by saj_123]
Graham88

10th Apr 10 at 12:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bought my first Turbo car recently, fuel consumption has gone out the window. I do sometimes think 'do I really need to boot it here' or when things want a blast I think about whether it's worth the fuel but that's just the fact I am not bothered about racing everything now I'm used to the car. Seeing the car at a constant 7mpg when booting it isn't nice.
am4nf

10th Apr 10 at 13:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They better fucking hurry up and put the price back down, this 4 speed is killing me
SR91

10th Apr 10 at 13:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by am4nf
They better fucking hurry up and put the price back down, this 4 speed is killing me

Get a new gearbox?
Eck
Premium Member

10th Apr 10 at 15:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I haven't changed my style at all. Give it death when I want to. Just paid 125.9 for V fuel
Chris x

10th Apr 10 at 15:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Found out my car spits flames out the exhaust when it hits the limiter so that hasnt helped me as I cant stop doing that now.

Plus doing 350miles a week doesnt help
AndyKent

10th Apr 10 at 16:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did a massive u-turn on buying a VXR for various reasons. The main reason wasn't really due to the fuel, but going from a 50mpg tdi to a 20mpg Astra was always going to hurt.

Sad I didn't buy it in the end, but not missing the fuel costs one bit.
am4nf

10th Apr 10 at 16:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SR-91
quote:
Originally posted by am4nf

Get a new gearbox?

No monies
CorsAsh

10th Apr 10 at 16:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BarnshaW
i just drive like a badger regardless, adding 3p to a litre of fuel is not going to make me drive any less , i will just accept that i have had to pay a little bit more for the pleasure.
Andrew

10th Apr 10 at 21:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CorsAsh
quote:
Originally posted by BarnshaW

2 years ago we hit 99p a litre, i thought that was reasonable. The £1.20 now a litre is a piss take!! It's not not 3p a litre on top it's 20p per litre and creaping up slowerly.

I don't go to cs meets very often anymore or go for random drives for the reason i'm throwing good money away. It's more principle than anything else... I'll still drive don't get me wrong, i love driving, Sunday to Sunday will have done over 1k miles this week for work and taxi'ing the family about using various vehicles - non of which are sports cars, Diesel Ford Connect, 1.2 Punto, Diesel 307 and a Diesel Sprinter. Don't intend changing my life style any time soon as it's how i choose to live. It just pisses me off the amount the goverment take. In fuel tax alone this week i've probably pain some scum bags benefit council house rent.
BarnshaW

10th Apr 10 at 21:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so? nothing you can do about it, either pay it or dont? i think its completely anal to worry about how much fuel your using over a journey and to drive like a batty just to get a good mpg. if it bothers people that much then buy a pushbike or find a job more local.
Rich H

10th Apr 10 at 21:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TBH I haven't driven the car much as I'm always working, so using the van.

Van does just under 400 miles to a tank, and travelling costs are covered if I go over certain distance so that doesn't affect me much.

Car does 38mpg since a decent service and a few sensor changes, so can't complain at that!
CorsAsh

10th Apr 10 at 21:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My attitude might be different if I commuted with my car, but I'd probably just get a battered old diesel for that and keep the Rex for how I use it now, in other words for the fun of driving.

It makes me feel good, so it's worth the money. I don't smoke or take drugs so it's kinda like my vice.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » following the threads about mpg and miles to a tank.. 22 database queries in 0.0220060 seconds