corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » c16xe not starting!

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author c16xe not starting!
mar_cus

User status: Offline
   13th Apr 10 at 17:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hey,

Right i just rebuilt my c16xe and got it refitted into my corsa, but it won't start.

I have no loose/spare wires, all earths are connected....

A couple of things i've noticed is that there doesn't seem to be a spark and the EML doesn't show on the dash with the ignition on...?

Now, when it turns over, it seems as thought its too weak, but compression is made...!

I don't have a lambda even connected, so could that be an issue??

Anyone got any ideas?
mar_cus

13th Apr 10 at 21:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bump! Need some urgent help!!
Stu_22

14th Apr 10 at 07:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You should have a lambda sensor pluged in and on the C16XE its a 3 wire plug, but that wont cause major problems.

You sure you battery is fully charged
mar_cus

14th Apr 10 at 08:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well i will get my hands on a lambda 2day or 2morrow hopefully! it's only disconnected because it was fudged!!

Battery.. i wasn't sure about so i used the battery off my mates car and it had the same problem? :S
jibjob

14th Apr 10 at 14:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you tried the coilpack/dizzy? Sounds like everything is working as it should thats why theres no EML but sounds as if the current isnt being amped enough to create a good spark
mar_cus

14th Apr 10 at 15:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Shouldn't the EML light show up when the ignition is firstly switched on to show there is power going to it?
jibjob

14th Apr 10 at 15:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do the other dash lights come on? Could just be the bulb. Other options are check the dash loom connection and engine loom connections near the ECU. If youve got a multimeter just check theres power going to the EML then check the voltage coming from the HT leads. It could be something as simple as the gap isnt set right on the spark plugs and the bulb has gone behind the EML, up to something like a wire has been broken behind the dash and the wires from the battery all the way to the HT leads could have been stretched causing a voltage drop. Just start with the simple stuff and work along.
corsagsigav

14th Apr 10 at 23:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

make sure all the doors pop up on the central locking as some times with mine if the passengenr side has been knocked down it kicks the cheap aftermarket alarm in and cuts the fuel out and wont start,1st time took a hour too figure out as i didnt even know it had the alarm
mar_cus

15th Apr 10 at 11:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jibjob
Do the other dash lights come on? Could just be the bulb. Other options are check the dash loom connection and engine loom connections near the ECU. If youve got a multimeter just check theres power going to the EML then check the voltage coming from the HT leads. It could be something as simple as the gap isnt set right on the spark plugs and the bulb has gone behind the EML, up to something like a wire has been broken behind the dash and the wires from the battery all the way to the HT leads could have been stretched causing a voltage drop. Just start with the simple stuff and work along.

Yeah the dash lights come on just not the EML light, but it could well be a bulb...i will have to get the meter to check. It won't be anything behind the dash because i haven't touched it, so yeah, i'm thinking if there is definately no voltage out of the HT leads or dizzy and the EML is ON, then its the crank sensor possibly...

quote:
Originally posted by corsagsigav
make sure all the doors pop up on the central locking as some times with mine if the passengenr side has been knocked down it kicks the cheap aftermarket alarm in and cuts the fuel out and wont start,1st time took a hour too figure out as i didnt even know it had the alarm

You might be on to something as my passenger door was locked, i'll have to lock and reopen the whole car and see if that helps, but i HAVE fuel, just NO spark
jibjob

15th Apr 10 at 13:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

crank sensor would mean it turns over at normal pace just wont kick in and start but obviously if the battery gets flat then it'll slow down. When mine went the EML came on with ignition but when i tried to start it just flashed and gave me a fault code so id say the bulbs gone IMO. Its worth just popping it out to check anyway as its only a £1 fix if the bulb has gone.
corsagsigav

15th Apr 10 at 13:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah the alarm will knock 1 or the other out fuel or spark depends on the alarm,basic immobalizer shit really
mar_cus

15th Apr 10 at 13:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
crank sensor would mean it turns over at normal pace just wont kick in and start but obviously if the battery gets flat then it'll slow down. When mine went the EML came on with ignition but when i tried to start it just flashed and gave me a fault code so id say the bulbs gone IMO. Its worth just popping it out to check anyway as its only a £1 fix if the bulb has gone.

jibjob, where did you locate your earths? If you have a 1600, i had a thought that maybe 1 earth for the ECU is a switched earth and not a permanent earth?

quote:
Originally posted by corsagsigav
yeah the alarm will knock 1 or the other out fuel or spark depends on the alarm,basic immobalizer shit really

I don't have a problem with this matey, just checked and it seems still the same! Thanks anyway!
jibjob

15th Apr 10 at 14:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Which earths are we on about? Sorry its been a long day so far
mar_cus

15th Apr 10 at 14:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there are 3 earths on the main loom in the engine bay, i got 2 connected at an earthing point to the head/alternator bracket and another earth connected to the body of the alternator!
jibjob

15th Apr 10 at 14:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What about the battery earth? or are you not including that? ive got the battery to the bulkhead, the alternator bracket and i cant remember where the others are. i'll have a look in a minute and let you know.
mar_cus

15th Apr 10 at 14:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah the battery earth is to the bulk head! Have you got a powerbox aswel by anychance?
jibjob

15th Apr 10 at 14:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive got the battery earth, alternator and then one of the right hand side of the inlet manifold
jibjob

15th Apr 10 at 14:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have got a powerbox but its not fitted yet
Archie
Organiser: Scotland
Premium Member

15th Apr 10 at 15:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Timing set correctly?
mar_cus

15th Apr 10 at 15:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
ive got the battery earth, alternator and then one of the right hand side of the inlet manifold

I might take all the earths off and just touch them one by one to different places and see what the outcome is!

quote:
Originally posted by Archie
Timing set correctly?

Yeah timing is sound matey! Already checked it
jibjob

15th Apr 10 at 15:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats probably your best bet mate. Just wire brush or clean the surfaces up aswel while youve got them off to give better contact.
mar_cus

15th Apr 10 at 15:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah! cheers mate, i'll report back!
mar_cus

15th Apr 10 at 17:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

EML is now on, found out there wasn't even a bulb behind it, so looks like all i need is a new crank!!
Archie
Organiser: Scotland
Premium Member

16th Apr 10 at 09:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Crank or crank sensor ?
mar_cus

16th Apr 10 at 09:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

crank sensor, sorry lol, was in the flow of conversion!

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll