corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Toyota IQ vs Fiat 500

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Toyota IQ vs Fiat 500
Pop

User status: Offline
13th Apr 10 at 20:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hello,

We are in the process of looking for a new car and have probably narrowed it down to either a Toyota IQ or a 1.2 Fiat 500. We are looking at these because they are small, cheap to tax/insure/run and are a bit different to other small cars in the market.

What I'm after is any feedback from anyone that either owns one or has a family member with one.

jr has given some good feedback on the 500 which is much appreciated

Cheers
Tim
deano87

13th Apr 10 at 20:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well, I have a 'new generation' Fiat and in a couple of 1k miles and 2 months of ownership it hasn't put its foot wrong really.

However the build quality isn't as great as I'd expected.

If you're looking at pretty basic cars like that, I'd really recommend the Toyota Yaris over the IQ. I had one of the new shapes ones as a courtesy car. It was a basic spec T2 model with the 1.0 engine. It was much much better than a 1.0 Corsa B - refined, quiet, and would sit at 70mph no problem.

I think the IQ is far too small a car to be practical. The 500 is supposed to be best in class, but if you want a reliable car without the worry in the back of your head 'if' it will go wrong, get a Toyota Yaris.
chris_uk
Premium Member

13th Apr 10 at 20:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i love the 500, there are some excellent ones at the hillclimb i go to.. they are just cool

Daveskater
Premium Member

13th Apr 10 at 20:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by deano87
Well, I have a 'new generation' Fiat and in a couple of 1k miles and 2 months of ownership it hasn't put its foot wrong really.

However the build quality isn't as great as I'd expected.

If you're looking at pretty basic cars like that, I'd really recommend the Toyota Yaris over the IQ. I had one of the new shapes ones as a courtesy car. It was a basic spec T2 model with the 1.0 engine. It was much much better than a 1.0 Corsa B - refined, quiet, and would sit at 70mph no problem.

I think the IQ is far too small a car to be practical. The 500 is supposed to be best in class, but if you want a reliable car without the worry in the back of your head 'if' it will go wrong, get a Toyota Yaris.
This man is wise beyond his days

Out of the two I would go for the 500 as the IQ is far too small for me. I'd have thought the Yaris would have been a competitor to the 500 tbh.

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
deano87

13th Apr 10 at 20:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Daveskater
This man is wise beyond his days

Out of the two I would go for the 500 as the IQ is far too small for me. I'd have thought the Yaris would have been a competitor to the 500 tbh.

If you want a really small car, I really wouldn't bother with the IQ - go for the Aygo instead.

But if you wanted a true comparison you'd have to do 500 vs. Yaris, and the Yaris, imho is a far more rounded car. Might not be as fun, but everything else outweighs the fun-ness. Depends what you want out of it.
Pop

13th Apr 10 at 20:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The IQ is a funny thing. It looks tiny on the outside but has plenty of space on the inside as long as you aren't needing to carry loads of baggage. The plus point is also that it is tax exempt, cheap to insure and free servicing for 3 years.

We'll be having a drive of both in the very near future.
Pop

13th Apr 10 at 21:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't touch an Aygo with a barge pole. Check out the JD Power surveys, they are getting hammered for a leak that they don't seem to be able to sort out.
Jules S
Premium Member

13th Apr 10 at 21:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was looking at IQ's a couple of months back.

Quite easy to spec one up to £12k

I stopped looking there and then.
Pop

13th Apr 10 at 21:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For what we need the IQ wouldn't be specced up. The Fiat 500 would have to be. It could well come down to the deal in the end if the cars are very similar.
N3CRO

13th Apr 10 at 21:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd go for the 500.
DERV-POWER

13th Apr 10 at 21:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what about alfa mito
Jules S
Premium Member

13th Apr 10 at 21:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Pop
For what we need the IQ wouldn't be specced up. The Fiat 500 would have to be. It could well come down to the deal in the end if the cars are very similar.

How does that work then? from what I saw of the IQ you couldn't get a lesser spec....

Oh, and take a look on the Toyota boards......it would appear a 65mpg statement might be a 'tad' ambitious
deano87

13th Apr 10 at 21:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

47mpg Grande Punto book figure is highly ambitious.

Also, if the 1.2 engine in the 500 is the same as in the Grande Punto it's an old tech 8v thing with absolutely no go.

I certainly wouldn't bother with that.

Get a derv Yaris for cheap motoring.
jr

13th Apr 10 at 21:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

deano, the yaris is as boring to look at as you talking about mpg
AndyKent

13th Apr 10 at 21:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fiat looks better on the outside but a woman at work has got a CC version and the inside is so nasty. Horrible shiney plastic and personlly I hate it.

Could of year old fiesta would be a cheaper and better choice IMO.
Daveskater
Premium Member

13th Apr 10 at 21:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DERV-POWER
what about alfa mito
Good point. They look pretty nice imo, although the Alfa badge doesn't give you a warm sense of reliability

Fiesta is a good call too.

[Edited on 13-04-2010 by Daveskater]

Numberwang!

Look at my pictures
pow
Premium Member

13th Apr 10 at 21:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DERV-POWER
what about alfa mito

I like you
pow
Premium Member

13th Apr 10 at 21:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

THERE SHE ISSS:

One harsh winter, 10.5k and 7 months on and there hasn't been one problem that has actually stopped me using the car. The dealer has sorted ANYTHING that I've wanted done as well.
Graeme
Premium Member

13th Apr 10 at 21:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my girlfriend owns a 500 1.4 lounge 100hp so is a bit faster that the 1.2 and the 1.2 i found was painfully slow when we test drove it.

Its been ok but it has been into fiat 4 times for different faults and some still havent been cured, also fiat quoted us for the 2nd year service £430

That had stupid stuff on like replace rocker cover gasket etc, on a 36k service that was but hers has only done 21k.
Getting it done through work for £135 now though.

Also if you need people in the back they dont want to be any taller than about 5.8 as they just wont fit.

apart from that a pretty cool car and can get some nice specs on them.
pow
Premium Member

13th Apr 10 at 21:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jr
deano, the yaris is as boring to look at as you talking about mpg

The 500 is a brilliant car, the 1.2 engine a bit of a peach for that car as well.
Daveskater
Premium Member

13th Apr 10 at 21:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
there hasn't been one problem that has actually stopped me using the car.
There has been the odd soggy problem though

Numberwang!

Look at my pictures
pow
Premium Member

13th Apr 10 at 21:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But I could still use the car, they booked me in for a week and gave me the most fun coutesy car I've ever had. You expect a few niggles when you buy a new/newly produced mass produced car!
Daveskater
Premium Member

13th Apr 10 at 21:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

True. At least the dealers have been good too.

Tbf not all Jap cars are 100% amazing, my mum's Civic seems to like running either rich or lean, we're not sure, and has random creaks but only some of the time

Numberwang!

Look at my pictures
Pop

13th Apr 10 at 22:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jules S
quote:
Originally posted by Pop

How does that work then? from what I saw of the IQ you couldn't get a lesser spec....

Oh, and take a look on the Toyota boards......it would appear a 65mpg statement might be a 'tad' ambitious

There are 3 trim levels on the IQ, starting at under £10k. Mpg isn't really an issue as I've yet to drive a car that gets anywhere near what the manufacturer states.

Mito isn't really an option as the gf doesn't like it too much.

Good feedback so far everyone, thanks.

[Edited on 13-04-2010 by Pop]
Limecat
Banned

13th Apr 10 at 22:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Pop
I wouldn't touch an Aygo with a barge pole. Check out the JD Power surveys, they are getting hammered for a leak that they don't seem to be able to sort out.

What is that about chief?

TBH, at 6' I tried the IQ and I found my head touched the roof lining!?! It is VERY cramped.

I haven't driven the 500 but as with the IQ I think it is very over-priced for what it is.

My Mother recently bought a brand new 107 (well, I did on my works card and she paid me back! :lol and I think, for what was paid it is a good car. If I was being anal, I would slate it that it has no boot light and that there is no option to open the passenger electric window from the drivers side without leaning over!?! (Why they didn't put the switches in the centre console is beyond me?).

However, it did have a serious issue with dampness which is why I was interested in your post. From day 1 it was overly damp inside. At winter you had to scrape the inside of the windows, my Metro (16 years old you didn't!), we knew something wasn't right and kept throwing it back, then claiming for courtesy cars etc. It got top the point where I went in with all my qualifications in engineering etc and said 'Pay me my hourly rate whilst in your workshop and I will find it!'

48 hours later, the leak was found. It has been reported back apparently and the car does seem better but the time of year is on it's side.

I forget the reason now but apparently it has been sent to head office as they suspect it could affect many models? I will phone the old queen tomorrow and ask her.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Toyota IQ vs Fiat 500 23 database queries in 1.4269819 seconds