corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Why to keep your student loan repayments secret in your office...

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Why to keep your student loan repayments secret in your office...
Paul_J

User status: Offline
23rd Apr 10 at 08:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm starting to learn how much different people in my office earn, because they keep 'blurting out' how much their student loan repayments are.

P.S. if there's anyone in your office that went to university, which you'd like to know how much they earn, just ask them how much student loan they pay.

In the last week:

One employee has said he pays £74. One says he pays £45 and another person pays £90.

Harmless statistics?

Well no...

Student loan is paid back at 9% of your wage over £15k.

Therefore, you can do (((StudentLoanRepaymentAmount / 0.09) * 12) + 15000) to find out their salary.

Applying to the above.

(((74 / 0.09) *12) + 15000) = £25000
(((45 / 0.09) *12) + 15000) = £21000
(((90 / 0.09) *12) + 15000) = £27000

I know that it doesn't 'really' matter, but in office politics it's quite interesting to know that some people are paid far less than other people doing the same job
Matt L

23rd Apr 10 at 08:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I do our companys wages so i see how much people are on (only 4 of us).
James

23rd Apr 10 at 08:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone intelligent enough to do a degree to warrant a student loan in the first place should be intelligent enough to realise it's easy to work out salary from the repayments TBH
Daimo B

23rd Apr 10 at 08:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

NEVER a good thing to know how much your peers earn.

It'll only wind you up in the long run.

Of course people get different wages. Someone at your position might have been at the company longer, started off on a lower wage and hasn't had the rise to match yours, or the other way around, they've been working longer at that company so are on a lot more than you.

Either way, its none of your business.

I hated finding out how much peer's earnt. Both sides. Feel sorry for those earning less, unfair etc, and hatred for those earning more who sat on their backsides all day.
James

23rd Apr 10 at 08:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know roughly how much my peers are on. I'd say probably within about £5k.

Also, I wouldn't feel sorry for anyone earning less than me.
Daimo B

23rd Apr 10 at 08:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by James
Anyone intelligent enough to do a degree to warrant a student loan in the first place should be intelligent enough to realise it's easy to work out salary from the repayments TBH

I hate this. This is a London attitude if ever I saw it (might be the way i've read it, but its a typical londoner thing).

Doing a degree does not mean your intelligent at all. It means you are book clever.
I've met some extremely book educated people, but when it comes to common sense intelligence, they've got less that a potato.
RichR
Premium Member

23rd Apr 10 at 08:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wrote a really good spreadsheet for calculating when you'll finish paying you're student loan as well as giving your cumulative total payments etc.

Everyone with a student loan in our office has used it, but asked me to do it for them so I know anyway and on top of that I am the only person apart from the HR woman who has access to the personnel files
James

23rd Apr 10 at 08:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Doing a degree doesn't make you a genius, but surely anybody that knows how the repayments are worked out can also see that it's easy to get the salary amount from that?
Daimo B

23rd Apr 10 at 08:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Also, I wouldn't feel sorry for anyone earning less than me.

Well, thats where im a decent chap and have feelings for other human beings instead of trying to win one over them.

If you've seen a really good worker, who you knows getting paid bugger all, I have empathy with them. You cannot say anything though as its confidential and you can get in trouble.

Doesn't mean you can't feel bad for them. Thats just being a decent chap.
James

23rd Apr 10 at 08:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also I'm not a Londoner
Daimo B

23rd Apr 10 at 08:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You work in the city, your a londoner. A city boy.

I can say this as I was becoming one, but hated the people, so left.

different lifestyle, different attitude the workers have in the city compared to outside.
James

23rd Apr 10 at 08:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Actually I work in Canary Wharf now
Bart

23rd Apr 10 at 08:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR
Doing a degree does not mean your intelligent at all. It means you are book clever.
I've met some extremely book educated people, but when it comes to common sense intelligence, they've got less that a potato.

Amen.
Its like students with an engineering degree, give them a screwdriver and they dont know how to hold it.
RichR
Premium Member

23rd Apr 10 at 08:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have an Bachelor of engineering degree with honours; I'm as happy on the tools as I am in front of a PC, hence why the company sends me out to do on site modifications/repairs/rebuilds and minor servicing work as well as designing them in the first place.

A good engineer will understand how something works and goes together above those putting it together. I'll design a component and assembly drawings so that literally a monkey could put it together if they were blindfolded - yet even then, some of the guys can't tell their arse from their elbow
Daimo B

23rd Apr 10 at 08:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Been there too, they are the rich yuppies.

Acutally, Canary Wharf was my 1st job (no other towers built, worked at 5 North Colonade, Bar capital). That was the best location for a job ever. You could do your stuff and deal witht eh city yuppies, but then get out for lunch, sit by the docks and pretend your no-where near the city.

I'd like a job back there, its as far as I allow my job search engines searches to go

Wouldn't mind working back there. City wages without the city hassle. Got any jobs going
Fro

23rd Apr 10 at 08:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Keep meaning to go there for a few drinks on the way home from work at somepoint as I've heard there's a few good places?
ed

23rd Apr 10 at 08:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Who gives a fuck what other people earn
Nath

23rd Apr 10 at 08:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My colleagues did similar with our percentage pay rises. But this was nice to know as I'm still on trainee wages and will be getting bumped up soon.
Half Pint

23rd Apr 10 at 09:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by fro-dizzle
quote:

Keep meaning to go there for a few drinks on the way home from work at somepoint as I've heard there's a few good places?

be warned it mucho expensive...
James

23rd Apr 10 at 09:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR
quote:

Been there too, they are the rich yuppies.

Acutally, Canary Wharf was my 1st job (no other towers built, worked at 5 North Colonade, Bar capital). That was the best location for a job ever. You could do your stuff and deal witht eh city yuppies, but then get out for lunch, sit by the docks and pretend your no-where near the city.

I'd like a job back there, its as far as I allow my job search engines searches to go

Wouldn't mind working back there. City wages without the city hassle. Got any jobs going

Yep Canary Wharf is really cool. The only downside is that I have to get the Jubilee line which is the worst tube line ever.
James

23rd Apr 10 at 09:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fro....there are loads of nice places, some are expensive but you also have some of the chain places like All Bar One, Slug and Lettuce etc. If you go on a Thursday/Friday after work in the summer it's heaving with people and a really good atmosphere.
ed

23rd Apr 10 at 09:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice generic chains then
Daimo B

23rd Apr 10 at 09:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
Nice generic chains then

Filled with rich city women with low cut designer tops. Sitting on the docks, aye its terrible.

Brnad name doesn't matter. They are all "trendy" bars up there, usually all very clean, no chavs at all, and whilst expensive, its a nice experience.
James

23rd Apr 10 at 09:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The women are excellent
Fro

23rd Apr 10 at 09:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice one James and don't even get me started about the jubilee line POS!

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Why to keep your student loan repayments secret in your office... 22 database queries in 0.0185919 seconds