corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Job seeker, 21, with 3 A-levels and 10 GCSEs, kills herself after she was rejected for 200 jobs

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Job seeker, 21, with 3 A-levels and 10 GCSEs, kills herself after she was rejected for 200 jobs
ashleh

User status: Offline
23rd Apr 10 at 10:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1267953/Job-seeker-Vicky-Harrison-commits-suicide-rejected-200-jobs.html

Quite depressing .
adiohead

23rd Apr 10 at 10:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

christ!
SetH

23rd Apr 10 at 10:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was just reading that, poor girl

I was made redundant last April and ive only managed to get 2 contract roles in the last year, one for a month and one for 6 weeks.

Ive probably applied for 200+ jobs as well.

I think the trick is not to take it personally and its down to the fact that the roles are just not out there at the moment.
Colin

23rd Apr 10 at 10:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What a stupid reason to end yourself over!! Im not believing that, there must be more to it!!
ashleh

23rd Apr 10 at 10:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's a shame that people actually get to such a low point in their lives, and feel that it's not worth the effort anymore.
Whittie

23rd Apr 10 at 10:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bet there was other stuff going on in her life and this is just being blamed.

Either way its sad.
lostboy
Banned

23rd Apr 10 at 10:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I agree there must have been more, also why is it always the good looking lasses that do stupid things like die.
Marc

23rd Apr 10 at 10:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin
What a stupid reason to end yourself over!! Im not believing that, there must be more to it!!

I can understand how the constant rejection would bring her to question herself though. 200 jobs is a lot!
3CorsaMeal

23rd Apr 10 at 10:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what a fcuking cop out...

LAZY!
SetH

23rd Apr 10 at 10:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Really why? You cant really understand until you have been in that position yourself fella. Try applying for hundreds of jobs over a period of two years with constant rejections and then you will know how it feels. Not everyone has the well paid jobs, house, cars etc like you and Jade do.

It does affect some people really badly and unfortunately for this girl it hit her really badly

I have 10+ years experience in IT, Im a prince 2 practioner, MCP and have ITIL and ive been knocked back for anything from a lowly IT engineer role right through to project & service managers. I havent contemplated killing myself but it has made me feel pretty worthless at times and forced me to reassess my life and consider options I wouldnt normally.
Daimo B

23rd Apr 10 at 10:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice norks?
dan_m1les

23rd Apr 10 at 10:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've applied for 3 jobs and got the jobs each time stupid woman
3CorsaMeal

if things got that bad i'd take a voluntary job somewhere that supplies a roof and some food. Even if you have to leave the country am sure it would end up a better quality of life that stuck in some office in the uk
Colin

quote:
Originally posted by Marc
quote:

I can understand how the constant rejection would bring her to question herself though. 200 jobs is a lot!

What, a student with no experience cant get the top notch job there after!!? Nothing new there!!

She should be taking stock & seeing what she can do to move on in life at 21 not ending it the daft twat!!
Daimo B

23rd Apr 10 at 11:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SetH
quote:

Really why? You cant really understand until you have been in that position yourself fella. Try applying for hundreds of jobs over a period of two years with constant rejections and then you will know how it feels. Not everyone has the well paid jobs, house, cars etc like you and Jade do.

It does affect some people really badly and unfortunately for this girl it hit her really badly

I have 10+ years experience in IT, Im a prince 2 practioner, MCP and have ITIL and ive been knocked back for anything from a lowly IT engineer role right through to project & service managers. I havent contemplated killing myself but it has made me feel pretty worthless at times and forced me to reassess my life and consider options I wouldnt normally.

Agreed. I was made redundant when the towers fell and was out of work for 6 months. Luckily I got by by washing cars and stuff, but when your going from working in a huge international law firm to working in a pub on xmas day, earning x3 per hour, but still earning far less than you would be in a normal job, it gets to you.

Not everyone is emotionally secure as some people, and everyone forgets that whilst you might be able to deal with it, someone else might not.

200 jobs would destroy your self confidence.
stubs

23rd Apr 10 at 11:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Won't be long before she's tagged by the media as another "meow meow" user
Sam
Premium Member

23rd Apr 10 at 11:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

From talking with other business owners on occasion, it seems that a lot of people are starting their own businesses as they think they have a better chance of earning a living doing that rather than competing with 100s or 1000s of people for jobs that are probably modest in comparison to what they are qualified or experienced in.

She sounds like she was a very depressed girl, I do think there are probably other issues which that newspaper has conveniently omitted, and that the rejection factor was probably the final nail in the coffin so to speak (excuse the bad use of that pun, LOL).
Colin

23rd Apr 10 at 11:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

Ive been in that position many a time, having to pick myself up, give myself a stern talking to & start over again. Only recently have I been able to have nice things after working my arse off down to the bone the past few years to get them only now i'm finally getting somewhere & i'm still very far from well off!!

Maybe I should question why im still an apprentice at the ripe age of 27 & take my life because I didnt fall into it lifes plan 10yrs ago??
Marc

23rd Apr 10 at 11:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
What, a student with no experience cant get the top notch job there after!!? Nothing new there!!

She should be taking stock & seeing what she can do to move on in life at 21 not ending it the daft twat!!

True, we don't know the full details of actual jobs she applied for though.
Ojc

23rd Apr 10 at 11:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Same, if she applied at Tesco, McDonalds, WH Smith I'm sure they would have taken her on.

But it is a warning to those that believe that superior grades in exams are going to get you ahead in life, they really don't.

Labour have breed a generation of dreamers that are only now realising that going to Uni isn't all it's cracked up to be.
James

23rd Apr 10 at 11:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It is a sad story and I will probably get slated for saying this but........

If you apply for 200 jobs and don't get any offers then you MUST be doing something wrong.

Either setting your sights too high or have a weak CV/Interview technique. Both of which can be improved with the right help.
SetH

23rd Apr 10 at 11:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Colin, You are obviously of strong mind and emotionally stable and thus able to deal with situations like that. Unfortunately that girl was not, although as mentioned there may have been other contributing factors.

I comfort myself with HEFFERS tbh
Colin

23rd Apr 10 at 11:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR
quote:
quote:

Agreed. I was made redundant when the towers fell and was out of work for 6 months. Luckily I got by by washing cars and stuff, but when your going from working in a huge international law firm to working in a pub on xmas day, earning x3 per hour, but still earning far less than you would be in a normal job, it gets to you.

Not everyone is emotionally secure as some people, and everyone forgets that whilst you might be able to deal with it, someone else might not.

200 jobs would destroy your self confidence.

Ive been made redundant 3 times.

I once had to take labouring job on min wage which included cleaning the bog's out....just to bring in enough cash to pay my bills. Which im sure many dollies would stick their nose up at!!

I went from working for the biggest oil company in the world to scrubbing toilets & you know what....it done me a world of good!! Taught me that when you fall off the horse to get straight back on & I did........5yrs on, after plenty of knock backs I work for the worlds 2nd biggest oil company in a much better roll. Not because I was lucky but because I was determined to get what I wanted!!

This girl sounds as if she had the world at her feet & yet decided she had enough because she couldn't get the job she wanted!! Sorry but I just cannot understand that!!

I bet there's thousands of students up & down the country in the same position.
SetH

23rd Apr 10 at 11:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dudes I have not seen any reports that she was trying to apply for top notch jobs? Also I thought she quit her degree before the first year? The only application that was mentioned was one to a Nursery.

I fail to see how this girls is getting related to the generation of graduates that believe their degree = a great job when they finish university.

Also with supermarket jobs its not that easy to just apply and get one. I know quite a few people that are more then capable whom have been trying to get jobs at Tescos and Sainsburys for months without any luck. I havent seen any job vacancies on their instore boards for as long as I can remember.

Neo

23rd Apr 10 at 11:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I bet there's thousands of students up & down the country in the same position.

Bang on really. Its a sad story, but she should have had the support from friends and family essentially saying what colin just said.

That you fall off and get back on.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Job seeker, 21, with 3 A-levels and 10 GCSEs, kills herself after she was rejected for 200 jobs 22 database queries in 0.0113609 seconds