corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Last Shuttle launch for Atlantis - Tonight

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Last Shuttle launch for Atlantis - Tonight
Daimo B

User status: Offline
14th May 10 at 11:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.spacevidcast.com/

Around 7.20pm ish, depending on weather.

Yes its sad, but its honestly woth watching the launch for 10 minutes until it makes it into orbit. They usually have some really good footage, from the fuel tank as the rocket boosters and Orbitor detatch as they enter space etc.

Theres only a few shuttle launches left, so its something you won't get to see ever again soon and its only 10 minutes or so.

Then you can watch over the mission days as they approach the space station, attach the new research module, I watched them take out a satalite a few months back and repair some items which was qutie interesting to watch, earth in the background etc.

Anyway, sharing for all if your interested.

http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/180842main_132_rollback3.jpg

[Edited on 14-05-2010 by Ian]
Hammer

14th May 10 at 12:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wish I was back at the Space Centre, loved that place.
Nath

14th May 10 at 12:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Hammer
I wish I was back at the Space Centre, loved that place.

It was breath takingly good.
FAZ
Premium Member

14th May 10 at 12:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

shuttle looks old :\
Nath

14th May 10 at 12:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its older than you Faz
FAZ
Premium Member

14th May 10 at 12:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they could have at least repainted it
Daimo B

14th May 10 at 13:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

More weight.

You laugh, but painting the tiles isn't as simple as going down Homebase and picking up some dulex and slapping on with a paintbrush
Tomnova16
Premium Member

14th May 10 at 13:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

aren't the tiles designed to burn on re entry so the ship doesnt get burnt and then replaced each time, on another note the sea looks rather inviting

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
Dom

14th May 10 at 13:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

when do they start launching the Apollo look-a-likes?
ed

14th May 10 at 13:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR
More weight.

You laugh, but painting the tiles isn't as simple as going down Homebase and picking up some dulex and slapping on with a paintbrush
Something to do with them not being paint, probably.
Daimo B

14th May 10 at 13:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tom, only the bottom tiles are replaced, not the whole Orbitor tiles. There are 3 types of tile on it.

The black heat resistant tiles.
The white non resistant
And on the nose and wing sides, the silver "hardcore" tiles, which are heavily made up of expensive carbon carbon materials. They take the most heat.

Not even all of the heat tiles are replaced after each flight. They last a few flights.

We had some of the tiles at the astronaught training day, the guy had a heatgun on a tile for about 2-3 minutes, it was white hot. The tiles are about 3-4" thick, and on the other side you could touch it and it wasn't hot at all. Very clever stuff. I got some pictures at home of the guy with the flames hitting the tile

Dom - Orion is due for 2014.

Edd, see reply above

[Edited on 14-05-2010 by VXR]
3CorsaMeal

14th May 10 at 13:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they could of at least "detailed" it before the launch

paintwork looks like my nans mini metro
ed

14th May 10 at 13:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's a banger anyway, would be like getting VXR Marc to clean your £100 Nova...
Daimo B

14th May 10 at 13:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
they could of at least "detailed" it before the launch

paintwork looks like my nans mini metro

Its not paint They are tiles.

Lets refit the whole ships tiles, purley so it looks pretty for the outside world Costing us a few million undeed $$$

Ed, well it is 20 years old now

[Edited on 14-05-2010 by VXR]
Ojc

14th May 10 at 13:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Shuttle is like a bus strapped to a V2 rocket.

Time we used that international space station and built ships from there rather than having to use expensive lifting rockets.
Daimo B

14th May 10 at 13:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I agree.

only problem is getting everything up there, then building it in a safe fault free environment.

Far better idea to use that water on the moon, build a base on that, and build from there. partial gravity to help them.

Also, the shuttle IS the rocket boosters, fuel tank, and the big white plane on the back is actually the orbitor, not the shuttle Shuttle is the collective name for all 4 pieces.

Fact for the day
Ojc

14th May 10 at 13:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes but Werner Von Braun is the only reason we are in space, look for his secret projects and why we are visited by Aliens, it has a lot to do with him and Nikola Tesla.
Daimo B

14th May 10 at 13:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im with Hawkings.

If Aliens visited here, we're f**ked. We would be wiped out before we knew what hit us, then they would take every resource possible aka Independence Day stylleee.

The virus idea will also not work. How do you upload to a system you know nothing about? its not like they've got WiFi is it or Bluetooth
Cavey

14th May 10 at 15:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mate is currently learning to fly in Florida and is going to watch this live tonight, the bastard!
Ojc

14th May 10 at 15:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.beyondweird.com/ufos/Bruce_Walton_The_Underground_Nazi_Invasion_17.html
sc0ott

14th May 10 at 15:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR
Im with Hawkings.

If Aliens visited here, we're f**ked. We would be wiped out before we knew what hit us, then they would take every resource possible aka Independence Day stylleee.

The virus idea will also not work. How do you upload to a system you know nothing about? its not like they've got WiFi is it or Bluetooth

id say they were already here, or have been here before. look at how old earth is and if aliens are flying around the universe in fancy spaceships then why would they ignore earth.

the 'technology' type virus may not work but if we bring back the black plague then who says they can survive that, lol.

or swine flu.
sc0ott

14th May 10 at 15:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cavey
My mate is currently learning to fly in Florida and is going to watch this live tonight, the bastard!

does he live in smallville?
Daimo B

14th May 10 at 15:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sc0ott
quote:
Originally posted by VXR
Im with Hawkings.

id say they were already here, or have been here before. look at how old earth is and if aliens are flying around the universe in fancy spaceships then why would they ignore earth.

the 'technology' type virus may not work but if we bring back the black plague then who says they can survive that, lol.

or swine flu.

Do you realise HOW big our milky way is. Trillions of stars, some surrounded by planets, some arn't, really we don't know yet.

But then after the trillions of stars in this galaxy, it continues, billions of other galaxies containing trillions of stars in each. Thats a lot to visit.

I've got some epic YT links trying to put in perspective how pathetically tiny we are in the grand scheme of things.

Even the most largest sun in our own galaxy is so big, it would take a Jumbo Jet 1100+ years to rotate it once. A plane can go round the earth in about 27 hours...... This is just our galaxy... Now think of the billions of others

We all posted about it in OffDay a month or so back. Shame someone can't link it as the YT links were on that. Wicked viewing. Even people i've shown who have no interest in space were in awe.
C2RL R

14th May 10 at 16:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the company i work for make a special material that goes in space shuttle tiles. i believe they are made up of many layers of different materials and cost an absolute fortune! they dont make them at our location but it's their product.

useless info above really!

i watched the last launch and some videos of the space walks. was awesome tbh. i'm out later so i'm gonna miss this one but that spacevidcast thing replays them so i'll catch it tomorrow.
C2RL R

14th May 10 at 16:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://ww3.albint.com/about/research/Pages/protectionSystems.aspx

just to prove i wasn't making that up...

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Last Shuttle launch for Atlantis - Tonight 23 database queries in 0.0131450 seconds