corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Astra Coupes

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Astra Coupes
djgritt
Premium Member

User status: Offline
3rd Jun 10 at 00:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Probably started similar in the past, but can't find it...

Anyway - i'm in the market for a new car for the missus, to replace her getting haggered Cavalier 1.7TD

She is pretty much certain that she would like a Mk4 Astra Coupe, which is fair enough.

However, we aren't sure which would be the best model to go for in terms of expense to run.

I am perfectly happy to get a Turbo, but then I won't be using it everyday and filling it up for the daily drives (i'll only be using it at weekends) and I have a £17k advantage over her when it comes to our income, so running costs to me personally aren't an issue to be fair, but they are to her.

So, if you have experience of the Coupes, I would like some input please

We would be considering the 1.8, 2.0T and 2.2 engines.

Which would be easiest for her to run, in terms of rough tank range, reliability etc?

Insurance isn't a factor too much either TBH, as thats split between us due to me using it also...

Cheers
Ian
Site Administrator

3rd Jun 10 at 00:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends on how many miles she is doing and what type of driving they are. If it's town stuff then I would guess the turbo will be somewhat worse.

And coming from a diesel Cav, it's going to be a bit more perky to drive. Depends what she wants really. No reason why you couldn't find a nice tidy slower one and be perfectly happy with that.
Wrighty

3rd Jun 10 at 00:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

great comfy cars, dont need many mods to look good. had a 1.8 and was ace, cant remember what fuel consumption was like but it wasnt BAD. 1.8 or 2.0t ones to go for really
Spanishfly

3rd Jun 10 at 05:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If fuel is a problem the 1.8 wins, if you want performance a turbo, if a bit of both the 2.2. My coupe T does about 18 mpg round town atm, however my front BCS is naffed and possibly my AFM too lol
chloe16v

3rd Jun 10 at 05:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have a coupe turbo, i have owned it 3 months and it has only been on the road a month an a half out of that time, the piston rings went and the turbo went so it was a full engine rebuild and new turbo, still isnt running right £20 will get me around 80-90 miles town driving,

if you go for the 2.0t i sugest uprating the turbo to a vxr one as the standard ones brake!
DERV-POWER

3rd Jun 10 at 05:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'd go for the turbo one, as the 1.8 is underpowered and the 2.2 burn oil and need more maintance (timing chain and leak oil)
DERV-POWER

3rd Jun 10 at 05:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chloe16v
i have a coupe turbo, i have owned it 3 months and it has only been on the road a month an a half out of that time, the piston rings went and the turbo went so it was a full engine rebuild and new turbo, still isnt running right £20 will get me around 80-90 miles town driving,

if you go for the 2.0t i sugest uprating the turbo to a vxr one as the standard ones brake!

have you had lambda sensor changed as they wont be working as probably covered in oil from when the rings went
chloe16v

3rd Jun 10 at 05:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yep that was changed when the engine was rebuilt, the eml is on but there is no fault codes stored so we cant turn the light off
Spanishfly

3rd Jun 10 at 06:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The VXR turbos are known to break too. It's what I run atm though. When it dies I think I'll be going GT28RS or even a GT30 and some internals.
djgritt
Premium Member

3rd Jun 10 at 06:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Depends on how many miles she is doing and what type of driving they are. If it's town stuff then I would guess the turbo will be somewhat worse.

And coming from a diesel Cav, it's going to be a bit more perky to drive. Depends what she wants really. No reason why you couldn't find a nice tidy slower one and be perfectly happy with that.

All rural A & B roads, only towns she drives in are small country towns with minimal traffic issues

She has got the Cav running upped Boost/Fuel, it does go well - probably not a lot between the 1.8 and hers, apart from the 1.8 will be a lote more responsive and perkier. She is aware that she will need to spend more than she does currently on fuel - she does around 700 miles a week - thats just under a tank and a half in the Cav, and would probably be 2 full tanks a week in a 1.8 Coupe

Daveskater
Premium Member

3rd Jun 10 at 07:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The 1.8 Coupe does about the same mpg as my car so around 30 on normal driving (I do similar to what you described) and iirc it gets around 350 miles to a tank so yeah she'd be on 2 tanks a week then

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
marklawton

3rd Jun 10 at 08:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive got one, mines a pretty much standerd engine and with a mixture of driving i get about 90 miles from £20 of optimax
Nath

3rd Jun 10 at 09:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a 1.8 petrol convertible and the MPG isn't the best. Average about 29mpg round town. Which is what my 1.8T Ibiza did! Great cars though. Very comfortable, look good standard, but can be made smarter with some cheap mods.
Warren G

3rd Jun 10 at 09:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have a 1.8 coupe

havent driven it, broken drive shaft lol
djgritt
Premium Member

3rd Jun 10 at 12:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers all so far

Will likely look at the 1.8s TBH

The 2.2s reportedly return better economy, but the issues with that engine in the past (in Vectras etc) puts me off.

Other thing with the 1.8 is that if she smashes the car up, I may be able to rob the engine for my Corsa...
Warren G

3rd Jun 10 at 12:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

2.2's are shit on fuel, worse than a 2.0 turbo.
3CorsaMeal

3rd Jun 10 at 13:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my bro has had a 1.8 coupe for about 5yrs now, the power is plenty enough for most people imo

unless you want to drive like a total loon
AlexW

3rd Jun 10 at 16:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Try for a SE2 though!

[Edited on 03-06-2010 by AW06]
djgritt
Premium Member

3rd Jun 10 at 17:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AW06
Try for a SE2 though!

[Edited on 03-06-2010 by AW06]

That the Europa Blue with Blue Alcantara?

She's not keen on the Blue interior...
Warren G

3rd Jun 10 at 17:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats what iv got
djgritt
Premium Member

3rd Jun 10 at 17:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I do like them myself...
AlexW

3rd Jun 10 at 19:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get her told, SE2 is so nice
205tom

4th Jun 10 at 16:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yuhh I have one too,fuel isn't as great as you'd think but insurance etc is suprisingly low,nice to drive an alot of car for the money, plus I think they look alot classier than hatches
3CorsaMeal

4th Jun 10 at 17:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

edition 100 are the best, BBS wheels, cream leather, special paint
djgritt
Premium Member

4th Jun 10 at 17:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been having a look at a few online today - found a few 1.8s locally worth looking at..

Just got to get the cash together first.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Astra Coupes 23 database queries in 0.5234149 seconds