corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Stupid Interview Questions

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Stupid Interview Questions
James

User status: Offline
15th Jun 10 at 17:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have an interview this week at a company that are notorious for asking questions like these:

- How many farms are there in China?
- If you were shrunk to the size of a pencil and put in a blender, how would you get out?
- How many hair salons are there in Japan?
- How many leaves are there in London?

I have a rough idea about how I would explain my approach to these questions however I've been told they expect an actual answer, not just the approach you would take.

Has anyone been asked such crazy questions?
John

15th Jun 10 at 17:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pencil in a blender you could make some rubbish up, anything that needs a factual answer though I can't see how you could deal with that, maybe that's the point in the questioning.
James

15th Jun 10 at 17:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeh that's why I figured they just want an explanation rather than an actual answer.

But apparently they want an actual answer.
mwg

15th Jun 10 at 17:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't apply for a company that asked ridiculous questions like that. They need to get a grip.
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

15th Jun 10 at 17:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Maybe the answer is stop asking me ridiculous questions
adiohead

15th Jun 10 at 17:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tell them to get fucked and stab them all

sigibbons

15th Jun 10 at 17:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seriously, I would be annoyed if they asked a question like that, it's almost as if they aren't taking you seriously.
C2RL R

15th Jun 10 at 17:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

depending on my situation and how much i wanted the job i would actually give them some grief about them taking the piss. maybe thats what they want? or maybe they would ask you to leave. it seems a bit of a waste of time tbh.
James

15th Jun 10 at 18:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well they are voted 2nd best company to work for in the country and they are also very generous.

I do think I will struggle to say something sensible however if I want the job I'm going to have to.
C2RL R

15th Jun 10 at 18:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this is the best answer i can find with google. i guess you need to adapt this train of thought for any of the questions.
quote:
There are enough hair salons in Japan to satisfy current market demand. If demand rises, more will be built. If it falls, some will go out of business.
Budgie

15th Jun 10 at 18:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

id make sure id answer the question with another question.

how many farms are there in china
Does china really exsist?

If you were shrunk to the size of a pencil and put in a blender, how would you get out?
is the lid on the blender? is the person who put me in the blender in hearing distance?

How many hair salons are there in Japan?
have you tried google?

How many leaves are there in London?
as in tree or books?

but thats me.
they could be after people who are honest and say i dont know but if you leave it with me i can find out yaddayaddayadda

LoudandProud

15th Jun 10 at 19:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Haha i got asked once why i wasnt wearing a suit to an interview, my reply was:

Well i dont have a job, so im skint, so how can i afford a suit??? thats why im here aint it? to get a job and earn money!

All i got back was.... Good answer... Then got a call 2 hours later offering me the job
Hammer

15th Jun 10 at 19:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

James can use that as well, he wants the job so he can afford a 200 quid suit from M&S.
Paul_J

15th Jun 10 at 20:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is this Google?
Daveskater
Premium Member

15th Jun 10 at 20:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I hate it when they ask where you think you'll be in 10 years time. I just make some rubbish up about being the boss or something

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
James

15th Jun 10 at 20:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nope it's an investment bank.
jibjob

15th Jun 10 at 20:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You could just avoid the questions with your own questions.

Are you classing homes that grow crops and raise livestock aswel as commercial properties that grow glue, tea, etc or do you mean a specific type of farm?

- If you were shrunk to the size of a pencil and put in a blender, how would you get out?
Is the pencil a normal sized office pencil or is it a novelty pencil that you get from the seaside? Is the blender a smoothie type blender or food mix type blender or a small handheld blender?

Are you classing barbers and other hair cutting/styling establishments as salons and what about the salons that are encased into another business?

Books or trees? What are you classing as London? Real or fake leaves?

It sounds stupid but it shows that you use your initiative (sp) and ask questions. If they want a pin point answer then either ask to use google or they are just taking the piss.

[Edited on 15-06-2010 by jibjob]
Budgie

15th Jun 10 at 20:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

WTF

quote:
Originally posted by Budgie
id make sure id answer the question with another question.

how many farms are there in china
Does china really exsist?

If you were shrunk to the size of a pencil and put in a blender, how would you get out?
is the lid on the blender? is the person who put me in the blender in hearing distance?

How many hair salons are there in Japan?
have you tried google?

How many leaves are there in London?
as in tree or books?

but thats me.
they could be after people who are honest and say i dont know but if you leave it with me i can find out yaddayaddayadda

quote:
Originally posted by jibjob
You could just avoid the questions with your own questions.

Are you classing homes that grow crops and raise livestock aswel as commercial properties that grow glue, tea, etc or do you mean a specific type of farm?

Is the pencil a normal sized office pencil or is it a novelty pencil that you get from the seaside? Is the blender a smoothie type blender or food mix type blender or a small handheld blender?

Are you classing barbers and other hair cutting/styling establishments as salons and what about the salons that are encased into another business?

Books or trees? What are you classing as London? Real or fake leaves?

It sounds stupid but it shows that you use your initiative (sp) and ask questions. If they want a pin point answer then either ask to use google or they are just taking the piss.

[Edited on 15-06-2010 by Budgie]
jibjob

15th Jun 10 at 20:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorry budgie ive only just read the whole thread and realised you posted pretty much exactly the same thing Now i feel stupid
Paul_J

15th Jun 10 at 21:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by James
I have an interview this week at a company that are notorious for asking questions like these:

I have a rough idea about how I would explain my approach to these questions however I've been told they expect an actual answer, not just the approach you would take.

Has anyone been asked such crazy questions?

Apart from the blender one, the others are all estimation based questions.

Potentially its a test of your estimation / projection skills, based on other known factors. This would lead well into the fact it's an investment bank, where traders would be analysing many different metrics (potentially unrelated) to make predictions on the future of the stock market.

Farms in China, maybe estimation based on population, the average amount of food a person eats within china and how much they export - combined with a typical output of a normal farm and what surpluses typical farms typically have left over / waste.

Hair salons in Japan. Population, People with hair (too young / too old excluded from population number), People who can't afford it also excluded. Work out the average someone would use one (high end consumer, e.g. female, vs low end male), Then perhaps work out how many hair cuts a typical hair salon could do, factor in low and peak times. Figure out from this what sort of number of hair salons you may need to service the population, potentially add / reduce depending on population density (as japan has some very sparse areas and very dense).

Leaves on trees in london. Area of london which could have trees, potentially scale on tree density in different regions. You can then estimate the total number of trees, average number of leaves per tree. Number of leaves that fall from the tree, etc.

- I think there's a way in maths as well, you can essentially substitute things in this and essentially come up with a 'proof'. Which given the unknowns - you could solve.

I could be completely wrong, but it's one potential (if it's a written test) that they just want to see how deep you can think about things and factor in different things that may influence the result.
James

15th Jun 10 at 21:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeh well I'll see what happens. The first round consists of 5 interviews
RCS

15th Jun 10 at 21:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its not the answer to the question but the reaction to the question and how you deal with it they are looking for.

Common one with engineers is simply how does a plane fly - everybody knows it as Bernoulli, but once they then give you numbers to play with Bernoulli doesn't work out - so you have to try and work out an explanation which would hopefully be the Coanda effect.

If you give a smartarse answer, they will just regard you as a smartarse. Tell them your thinking towards the answer out loud, it shows them how you work.
strick206

15th Jun 10 at 21:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
Is this Google?

I thought you'd finally pulled it off paul, a one line contribution to a thread, then it all went tits up a few posts later
Gareth F

15th Jun 10 at 21:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Interveiw for sales floor manager position.
Storemanager
"Where would you want to be in 3 years time?"
Me
"Sat where your sitting now"

Got the job a few days later
Tommy

15th Jun 10 at 23:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive always hated the " Why do you want the job ? " coz the honest answer is I need the fucking money

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Stupid Interview Questions 23 database queries in 0.0139389 seconds