corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Good day bad day

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Good day bad day
Daimo B

User status: Offline
16th Jun 10 at 11:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its only midday, my day has been somewhat emotional.

I love nature, class it above humans, thats just me though, so when I had a blackbird spend all day building a nest in my garden, i was pleased. This nest got destroyed by the foxes, eggs smashed, was very gutted. Fast forward another month, and shes re-built another nest elsewhere in the garden, laid, hatched 3 baby blackbirds. One was in the garden on the floor last night, so I went to pick her up and place back in the tree, only to have mummy and daddy go mental. I left her alone.

I get woken up at 1am by birds going mental, I thought a fox had caught the baby, fell back asleep, nothing I can do.

Woke up this morning, go outside, dead baby blackbird, headless. Its still warm and I see a cat. I dispose of the baby feeling sad, parents still going mental (its why I went outside). Then I spot baby number 2, it was cold, ants covering it etc, it must have been last nights one that the fox got, so thats 2 in one night, fox and cat. Im pissed right off.

The 3rd is in the garden, seeing the cat was about, I catch it, put it back in the tree, I want at least 1 to survive. 5 min later its on the floor again, it gets caught in my pond netting, so pull it free and leave it mummy and daddy are feeding it literally 1-2ft in front of me (built up a trust with the birds). I go to work. I get a text from Donna saying its on the floor, she picked it up after seeing a f**king pidgeon attack it, it died in her hands, now shes really upset too. M+D blackbird go mental, going through all the bushes trying to find it. I tell here theres nothing you can do and to dispose of it, but let the parents see the dead bird so they realise.

We've lost all 3 baby blackbirds, in one night, all through different means. Im absolutly gutted, quite upset by it actually. I know its nature, I know most peopel couldn't give a toss, but its really got to me

Thats the start of my day. Its already made me 40 minutes late for work, meh not bothered about that. I get to work and ring my bike insurance company. I've got a few issues, I said I had 8 years NCB, they could confirm only 7 years with previous company and wanted £35 more. I'd sorted it all with the previous company, or so I thought, only to get another letter saying they would cancel if not sorted in 7 days. Great, I go to France in 1.5 days, just what I need right now. It seems the old insurance company, their computer system only has a maximum of 7 years so thats all it shows. They had to go through my old records and worked out what I had. I never had 7, or 8 years, i've got 10 FFS but . More phonecalls, its all sorted. They wanted £35 for 1 year NCB, but when in fact I have 10 years, they should owe ME money, but do they offer, do they f**k.

So next call, AA. Been to France the last 2 years, called them both times to inform them both times i've been covered. Well no I haven't actually after calling them today. I don't have Euro cover, so another quote later, I need to fork another £50 out for a year, but I really need it given my type of bike. Pissed right off.

More bad times, I had the work car the last few days (where i ride a bike, I got a lift to work one day, took the car home, now im doing the opposite). I have 2 people who can take me home, both unavailble today, so now I have no way to get home tonight. Ace...

More bad times, need some 10w60 oil, and they don't do it in small bottles Another £25+

But the day is perking up. After an artical i'd written was put in a bike mag, i've been chasing them for 3 months for my prize. I big box turned up at work today, with an Oxford micro clock, heated grip set (same set as I had on one of my previous bikes too), a MotoGP A-Z dvd, and a new UK bike roads magazine worth £9. Plus someone has a birthday today, so cake day.

Emotional rollercoaster, thank god today is my last day at work. Now got to get home tonight somehow, and clear all the feathers, and not have the enjoyment of listening and watching the blackbirds flying intot he garden every few minutes and hearing the chicks. Im really really gutted, dread to think how Donna feels with it dying in her hands.

Vent over, no-one gives a toss at work, and tbh theres no point verbalising it as they couldn't give a f**k, so im venting here. Like it or lump it.
Cosmo

16th Jun 10 at 11:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We don't give a toss here too.
mwg

16th Jun 10 at 11:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sounds a bit Bill Oddie to me so for that reason, I'm out
Marc

16th Jun 10 at 11:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We have quite a few birds nest in our garden, we have loads of trees, plants, sheltered areas etc. Occasionally the same happens with us. We also have a big conservatory, so now and again we get birds flying full pelt in to it, some come round and fly off, others don't.

Prize sounds good
Tomnova16
Premium Member

16th Jun 10 at 11:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there was a broken window on one of our sheds, only a small bit missing out the corner, fixed it after about a month, few months later we found a nest all the chicks were decomposed, obviously the parents flew in through the hole and we didnt know.

another nest of blue tits was in a traffic cone, we kept looking at it everyday through the hole in the top but didnt want to disturb too much, one day there was loads of flies coming out of it, lifted the cone and all but one were dead,
left the cone off the nest and one of the rents flew down and flew off with the chick, they still come down and sit near my mum when she is doing the gardening.
There is also a robin which follows my mum round the front garden, very strange

oh and we had a compost bin that half filled with water as the lid had blown off, we found a dead squirrel in it, the skin/fur had come completly off and was floating next to it

remember when my cat use to catch birds id try and rescue them, but they usually all died

[Edited on 16-06-2010 by Tomnova16]

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
Ben G

16th Jun 10 at 11:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Man the fuck up
C2RL R

thats nature though. if you love nature like you say you do then you should understand the bad parts too.
Whittie

So all in all, you've got to pay £50 to be covered in Europe which you knew anyway, and you've got to spend £25 on oil, which you also knew.

Doesn't seem that emtional of a day to me, as for the birds, if it was me i'd destroy the nest, would piss me off having birds waking me up in the middle of the night.
Marc

16th Jun 10 at 11:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Whittie
if it was me i'd destroy the nest, would piss me off having birds waking me up in the middle of the night.

LOL
Daimo B

16th Jun 10 at 11:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah we get birds fly into our patio doors all the time. I was on the phone to Donna the other day and I heard a THUD... She bursts out laughing, a Sparrow crashed

Bill Oddie Not quite, its just about enjoying having nature being around you. My old mans a wildlife encyclopedia, knows every bloody animal just by looking. It just somethign i've picked up. Don't go bird watching, but do enjoy the nature thats around, and blackbirds build up a trust. so its morelike a wild pet having 3 baby blackbirds killed in 3 different ways in 1 night is not Bill Oddy, its just pure nature which has effected on leaving me quite sad, and the parent birds obviously highly distressed.
Daimo B

16th Jun 10 at 11:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
Man the fuck up

Get back to being under the thumb essex bowi.

Whittie - No, read it right, I should have been covered, but haven't been, so now have to pay out to be covered. Im glad people like you arn't everywhere or we wouldn't have nature at all.
Whittie

16th Jun 10 at 11:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR
quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
Man the fuck up

Get back to being under the thumb essex bowi.

Whittie - No, read it right, I should have been covered, but haven't been, so now have to pay out to be covered. Im glad people like you arn't everywhere or we wouldn't have nature at all.

Fair enough regarding the cover, hate things like that, it annoys me.

Regarding the nature thing... If it was a decent bird, i'd possibly leave it be, but its a blackbird. It's unbelievably common, and nicks the food that get put out by people for the smaller birds.
andy1868

16th Jun 10 at 11:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i keep seeing foxes on my travels, i've seen like 3 in a week i didn't know they were that common
Daimo B

16th Jun 10 at 11:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I see at least 4-5 foxes every night.

Aye, its jsut a blackbird, but when you've watched them gain confidence with you (i.E i can sit in the garden and they'd sit and have a bath in my steam no more than a metre away), watch them build a nest, lay eggs, watch the male coming in and out feeding the female, hatching the eggs,then feeding them all so always flying everywhere, it kinda becomes your wild pet.

Sparrows arn't as confident, and believe it or not, are fast dying out in this country. And going by some peoples attitudes, they couldn't care less. In my eyes, an animal is an animal, and it shouldn't need to get to an endangered species list before people change their attitudes about them. But this is my opinion. I've got respect for nature, its more important and worth more than a human life.
Nath

16th Jun 10 at 11:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by andy1868
i keep seeing foxes on my travels, i've seen like 3 in a week i didn't know they were that common

Hunting for babies.
DannyB
Premium Member

16th Jun 10 at 11:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We have birds nesting in the roof in our MOT bay at work, not sure what birds they are though but we've binned 3 nests over the last 2 months as they keep shitting everywhere.
Marc

16th Jun 10 at 11:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you have bird feeders in your garden Damsel?

(The hanging ones, not people feeding the birds for you!)
Daimo B

16th Jun 10 at 11:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I put seeds and such out sometimes, depends on the weather. Wet = Easy worms, long dry spells then I put food out.
Ellis

16th Jun 10 at 11:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Foxes are ghay
Paul_J

16th Jun 10 at 11:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tl;dr
Daimo B

16th Jun 10 at 12:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In English?

Foxes are ghey Ellis, esp when screaming like a little girl at 3am.
AndyKent

16th Jun 10 at 13:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We get Herons fishing in our pond fairly regularly. Don't like seeing them munching on our goldfish, but they're incredible looking birds.

Bit different to a pigeon though
Daimo B

16th Jun 10 at 13:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't mind Herons, even though the buggers have had a few fish out of my top pond as well

I can't believe a pidgeon was attacking it though. Mum n Dad chased it off, but it was already injured. Donna said the most distressing part was that the parents were going mental. Mind you, I would too loosing 3 kids Birds and small brains or not, they aint stupid.
mattk

16th Jun 10 at 16:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

one of my baby chicks died a day after hatching, I opened the shed in the morning and it was dead on the floor, the mother hen was sat looking at it, it went mad when I put my hand in and took it out to bury it

2nd hardest thing to do was split the mother hens from the chicks once they had grown

the mother hen was just moping round for a few days skwarking,

birds arnt that stupid really
Eck
Premium Member

16th Jun 10 at 17:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I lol at the death of the blackbirds.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Good day bad day 23 database queries in 0.0147350 seconds