corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Joining the army

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Joining the army
jibjob

User status: Offline
17th Jun 10 at 23:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Howdy

Ive been scouting for jobs for a long while now and nothing has come up. Im bored of doing sales/ customer service work and want more from my life. I want a practical job that has rotation and variety.

From what ive read/seen the army seems to offer one of the best packages for what im after. Its about the same salary as i would get if i worked as a mechanic in a garage yet has far more scope to progress. For example if i want to go to work in a garage now i would have to go as an apprentice or work placement for a year to get my level 3 before i could be "fully qualified". So id be earning apprentice wages for a year (£80-100 a week). Then id only be able to progress to master technician at a main dealer.

Whereas the army i can go straight in and earn a good wage from the moment i start training. After basic 14-23 week training i would do another block of training in which ever field i chose. Vehicle mechanic would be 14-23 weeks basic, 5 week foundation module, 20 weeks technical training followed finally by 9 weeks of advanced driver training (all the army vehicles -tanks, land rovers, quads, etc). With that id gain my HGV licences aswel as a-level/BTEC equivalents in vehicle mechanics. Im pretty sure id be able to bypass some of it though as im already qualified in motor vehicle maintenance and repair. Then id be out in the field doing tours. Recovery mechanic is pretty much the same. 14-23 weeks basic, HGV and tracked vehicle driving course followed by 34 weeks recovery training. Id get my HGV licences, radio operating training, city and guilds part 1 and 2 in light and heavy vehicle recovery aswel as all the other skills associated with it. The only difference i can find is that i can progress on from recovery mechanic to Warrant Officer Class 1. I can still progress between different fields though if i choose to.

I understand its a lot of hard work and training and its mentally tough but i feel i could deal with it both mentally and physically. The whole "you could die" thing doesnt really affect me as i believe if its your day, its your day.

I was just wondering what people thought about the situation and what they would do, plus any advice on what i could expect. It would also be good if anyone that has friends or relatives who are in the army could tell me how it affects you and others whilst they are away on tours.

Im just trying to get an overall picture of how it would affect me and others around me and all the pro's and con's of going into the army.

Cheers

Twiggy

17th Jun 10 at 23:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good if can get over the being killed thing but i would feel sorry for family etc worrying if i was gonna come home.
jibjob

17th Jun 10 at 23:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ye i think thats the biggest thing. I have no problems with it as the way i feel about dying (as explained above) doesnt make it an issue for me. Like you said though its the impact on other people that worries me. Thats why hopefully theres someone on here that knows someone in the army and can tell me first hand how it feels. I just dont want to make my mum or dad ill through worry. Id rather know that its not that bad after a while and the contact you have whilst on tour is enough to get by on.
lostboy
Banned

17th Jun 10 at 23:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm glad I never got in when I signed up at 17 as I just went for the infantry and Iraq was kicking off then, now I may have to wait 4 years before I can sign up thanks to some medical shit by which time I'll be just about the age where I'm too old to sign up.

Don't be fooled by thinking you will earn a good wage when you pass out, its about (or was) £200 per week (monthly pay though) although its probably gone up a bit by now but you could earn alot more in civvy street than in the army doing the same job. But you don't get the same experience.
jibjob

17th Jun 10 at 23:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know its not a brilliant wage but its more than i could earn as a standard mechanic round here at a non-dealership plus it gives me a lot more options after 4 years service.

Im not set on doing it im just trying to get points of view on it.

At the moment im earning £10k a year doing a customer service job that i hate. Anything would be better than that but i dont want there to be any problems should i choose to go into the army. When i say problems i mean like how it will affect family/friends etc
lostboy
Banned

17th Jun 10 at 23:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know the feeling about doing the job you hate, mate if I could get in tomorrow I would, fuck everything else, if you can hack the lifestyle it could just be the best thing you ever do, plus alot of people (like me) will give you alot of respect.
jibjob

17th Jun 10 at 23:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think i'll have a talk with my parents see how they feel about it and then have a pop down to the army office on monday morning. They only do selection twice a year dont they? So it should hopefully give me time to train and get fitter.
lostboy
Banned

17th Jun 10 at 23:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I cant remember about the selection thing, surely its more than twice? I went to Glencorse in the January 4lbs overweight after big xmas feasts so they wouldn't let me in.
jibjob

18th Jun 10 at 00:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gutted. That is a healthy roast overweight I think it depends on the section you want to go into. Id be going for the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers and obviously if theres a need for people to join the local regiment then they may recruit more than twice a year.
lostboy
Banned

18th Jun 10 at 00:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

REME would be a good idea tbh, need at least 3 c or above GCSE grades for them though.
jibjob

18th Jun 10 at 00:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The grades arent a problem mate. Plus as i mentioned im already half qualified so it should stand me in good stead should i choose to do it.
lostboy
Banned

18th Jun 10 at 00:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How old are you? TBH I would do it especially if I could get into the REME which is actually what I wanted to do, but colour blindness limits what I can do.
jibjob

18th Jun 10 at 00:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im 21 now, 22 in march. Im going to investigate the job role a lot more but i feel with the skills and enthusiasm ive got its a seriously viable option. Ive not got any medical problems (that i know of) that would stop me getting in but i think im going to book myself into the doctors for a check up just so i can check for everything the army would.
Toby
Premium Member

18th Jun 10 at 10:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Both my brothers in the army. Well one is at army foundation college and will be passing out to his regiment in Jan. They are both earning a good wage. The older one is almost 18 and he is earning 17k as an avionics tech. Wished I had looked into it more when I was there age.
SetH

18th Jun 10 at 10:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

given you age, you current career etc I would say go for it like there is no tommorow. I cant see what you have to lose
adiohead

18th Jun 10 at 10:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

become an Officer, much safer (still dangerous) and better paid

[Edited on 18-06-2010 by adiohead]
Gunny-Corsa-Sport

18th Jun 10 at 11:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

go for it lad, i was in same situation couple of week ago and i posted on here about going in and got some good advice off people on here, in 2 month time im going for run/fitness test to go in marines so go for it mate
Aaron

18th Jun 10 at 11:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Join the SAS, pays well i can imagine.
Shrek

18th Jun 10 at 11:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Check out this website, if you can't find it on there it prob doesnt exist or isnt worth knowing, remeber though the army expects 100%, if you dont give it you WILL fail. Army first, life second!

http://www.arrse.co.uk/

[Edited on 18-06-2010 by Shrek]
jibjob

18th Jun 10 at 12:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks very much people I think im going to give it some serious consideration over the weekend and then go down to the army office on monday and ask a few questions.

As Seth said I havent got anything to lose by doing it. It can only be onwards and upwards career and pay wise.

Toby how does it affect you are your family with them being away?
Toby
Premium Member

18th Jun 10 at 14:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jibjob
Thanks very much people I think im going to give it some serious consideration over the weekend and then go down to the army office on monday and ask a few questions.

As Seth said I havent got anything to lose by doing it. It can only be onwards and upwards career and pay wise.

Toby how does it affect you are your family with them being away?

Not a lot really. Saying that neither of them have done a tour or anything like that.
My mum was the worse at the time, however that could do orb the fact that me, my gf, my brothers and my sister all left home within a year lol.

Just go for it. I'm the same age as you but had an operation 2 years ago so to long for me to consider now and I'm in a well paid job so am happy.
wilson_sri

18th Jun 10 at 15:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Loved my years in the army, i was in the Infantry. Always wished i had went in for a trade, much easier life, better money and plenty of qualifications!

But one word of warning, don't believe everything the recruitment office tell you. They will say anything to get you to sign the bit paper, im sure you would as well if you were getting £100 per recruit that passes out ;-)
swill_omnibus

18th Jun 10 at 15:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Go for it mate, i've just applied for the RAF now so go for it mate
SetH

18th Jun 10 at 15:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As I haven't done a tour of duty I am not allowed an opinion?
oceansoul

18th Jun 10 at 16:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by adiohead
become an Officer, much safer (still dangerous) and better paid

[Edited on 18-06-2010 by adiohead]

I would say this.

When i was looking to join the air force as an avionics technician (Airman), it was about twice the pay if i went in as an avionics officer. Basically the same job too, just more responsibility as an officer

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Joining the army 22 database queries in 0.0160761 seconds