corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Will car pass mot with ABS removed?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Will car pass mot with ABS removed?
Steve
Premium Member

User status: Offline
27th Jun 10 at 09:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dont mean just disconnected, and bulbs on dash removed, i mean the abs pump/unit taken completely out and the brakes fed directly from the master?

someone has told me that MOT testing stations will know from there computer your vehicle was meant to have ABS and thus fail it if you have removed it
AK

27th Jun 10 at 09:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as long as the light doesnt go on/stay on it will pass.

Its not illegal to remove ABS as far as I know.
Steve
Premium Member

27th Jun 10 at 09:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats what i thought, but taken from another forum

quote:

I explain further for you : If the car model was manufactured with ABS as standard or say its poorer model had ABS as an option and was ordered with it, if either one came from factory like that, you cannot remove it!!

If the car was ordered without ABS from factory, so in essence was delivered without it, but was fitted at a later date, you can remove it, but you have to remove all the ABS relevant components. Basically returning the vehicle as it came from the factory.

MOT testers recieve the relevant info on their VT40 sheets when they print out your vehicle info, so basically DVLA know if your car was fitted with ABS when manufactured and if you remove it and the tester pays attention and reads his VT40 sheet when its printed out, he will test the vehicle accordingly.

Please note, only ABS bulb sequence is tested and just to add, those little devises for sale on ebay that mimic the ABS light sequence shouldnt fool the tester, so dont waste your money.

Please do not play around with your brakes, if your ABS is faulty, get it repaired. It is proven that ABS saves lives and if you need them in an emergency, ABS could save your life or the lives of others!!!!

How would you feel if a driver killed one of your kin and you found out he/she had disconnected their ABS.

So come on guys, less talk of disconnecting and more on, how to repair the fault
ed

27th Jun 10 at 09:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What happens if you don't want ABS on your car? The person who wrote that sounds like the kind of person who needs the AA to come out to change a wheel.
Steve
Premium Member

27th Jun 10 at 09:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well i guess according to that, if your car came with abs and you dont want it, you cant take it off else it will fail an mot
chris_uk
Premium Member

27th Jun 10 at 10:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have installed a switch under the bonnet and for mot i just flick it back on and ABS is working again.

is there a reason why you totally want to get rid of the ABS system? wont turning it off do the same?
Steve
Premium Member

27th Jun 10 at 10:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no reason, therse a discussion about it on the puma forum, someones abs pump has failed and a new one is more then the cars worth, so i said just rmove the unit and plumb the brakes directly in, then i got this abuse saying it was dangerous and also wouldnt pass an mot.

but also its meant to make the brake pedal better removing it completely

[Edited on 27-06-2010 by Steve]
Nic Barnes

27th Jun 10 at 10:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what a load of rubbish that is 3corsameal. you can only test what is there. a car doesnt need abs. mine passed its mot after removing abs. its not dangerous. what a load of rubbish people seem to write as gospel on the internet.
Steve
Premium Member

27th Jun 10 at 11:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fucking pricks mate
Nic Barnes

27th Jun 10 at 11:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you want to remove it 3corsameal, remove it. its quite a lot of weight for the pump and the ecu and the wiring so may shave valuable split second off your commute to work.

edit, nearly called you steve there. sorry 3corsameal. your posts are so alike.

[Edited on 27-06-2010 by Nic Barnes]
Ojc

27th Jun 10 at 11:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi Steve, don't mean to be rude but are you a fucking prickly?
allza

27th Jun 10 at 11:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Strictly speaking it should fail. The mot sheet says weather or not cars have abs and says the light should illuminate for 5 seconds and then go out. However if your you remove the abs and the light it would be harsh to fail it, although sone testers probably will.
Steve
Premium Member

27th Jun 10 at 11:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
Hi Steve, don't mean to be rude but are you a fucking prickly?

you are a fucking prickly man
Nic Barnes

27th Jun 10 at 11:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they cant fail for something that isnt there though? i asked a few testers when i removed mine and they said aslong as abs pump and light and all that stuff was removed and it was piped up like a normal brake circuit, then it cant fail.
mwg

27th Jun 10 at 11:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Steve do you have problems with your ABS and Traction Control lights staying on? Mothers Puma had them come on this morning and stay on. She only had the sensor replaced about a year ago though
Steve
Premium Member

27th Jun 10 at 11:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

could be another sensor failed then, my lights are ok but i did have problems that turned out to be faulty drivers wheel sensor.

easiest way to tell which one it is is to put it on a diag machine, or if you dont want to pay for that measure the resistance across the plug of each sensor should be 1100ohms, anything different and that will be your knackered sensor.

might just be dirty so so might be worthwhile inspecting each one and wiping it clean

the rear sensors is all one piece for both sides, dont buy from ford you can get genuine ATE (ford) items off ebay for more then half the price
Jake

27th Jun 10 at 11:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve

quote:

I explain further for you : If the car model was manufactured with ABS as standard or say its poorer model had ABS as an option and was ordered with it, if either one came from factory like that, you cannot remove it!!

If the car was ordered without ABS from factory, so in essence was delivered without it, but was fitted at a later date, you can remove it, but you have to remove all the ABS relevant components. Basically returning the vehicle as it came from the factory.

MOT testers recieve the relevant info on their VT40 sheets when they print out your vehicle info, so basically DVLA know if your car was fitted with ABS when manufactured and if you remove it and the tester pays attention and reads his VT40 sheet when its printed out, he will test the vehicle accordingly.

Please note, only ABS bulb sequence is tested and just to add, those little devises for sale on ebay that mimic the ABS light sequence shouldnt fool the tester, so dont waste your money.

Please do not play around with your brakes, if your ABS is faulty, get it repaired. It is proven that ABS saves lives and if you need them in an emergency, ABS could save your life or the lives of others!!!!

How would you feel if a driver killed one of your kin and you found out he/she had disconnected their ABS.

So come on guys, less talk of disconnecting and more on, how to repair the fault

which was taken from another forum, which was copied from another forum, which was then copied from another forum that copied it from pistonheads
Nic Barnes

27th Jun 10 at 11:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just remove it 3corsameal, and then report back with the results so people on the interntet will know for a fact what is true. you would be doing us all a great service.
Steve
Premium Member

27th Jun 10 at 11:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont want to remove mine, unless it fucks up, i just wanted to prove this imbecile wrong
Nic Barnes

27th Jun 10 at 11:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my mate said if it says abs and the light doesnt come on. check to see if it does have abs. if it doesnt then proceed. if it does and no light its a fail. says quite often the info is wrong for each car.
harrisp

27th Jun 10 at 11:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve

quote:

Who ever wrote that sounds like a keyboard mechanic with very basic experiance with actually getting their hands dirty, sounds like someone who is trying to make their opinion into a bullshit fact.
Steve
Premium Member

27th Jun 10 at 11:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think you have just described Nic Barnes.
Nic Barnes

27th Jun 10 at 11:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

say what you would like to steve. i am not interested in arguing with keyboard warriors. i was trying to help you with real world information not internetzzz stuff. sorry.
Steve
Premium Member

27th Jun 10 at 11:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ki m8, sorri
Baskey

27th Jun 10 at 12:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my golf gti's abs is broken.

I took the ABS warning bulb out and it has passed 3 MOTs at 3 different garages.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Will car pass mot with ABS removed? 22 database queries in 0.0108981 seconds