corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Self Employed Electrician

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Self Employed Electrician
A2H GO

User status: Offline
16th Jul 10 at 10:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any on here?

Ready for a change of career and always wanted to do this. What sort of qualifications are required to be a fully qualified electrician and how long would you expect it to take to achieve this, 3-4 years, more?

Is it possible to study part time, evenings etc, would it be a college/university course, both? Any ideas on cost? Where is a good starting point to get the ball rolling?

I’d have to keep my current job until qualified for financial reasons but would be happy to work for a company once qualified to build up experience before going self employed.

Most importantly, is there still good money to be made in this line of work?
mattk

16th Jul 10 at 10:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its a 4 year college course, Idealy you would want to do a day release college course where you work for 4 days as an apprentice electrician and do one day in college

this would mean packing in your current job and working as an apprentice, money is pretty shocking for the first 2 years £80 - £100 a week

its tricky buisness actuasly getting into a company now, I dont know how old you are but if your 23+ its especially hard, getting a place at college isnt that hard

you will find part time courses that will gain you "industry recognised qualifications" these are really a waste of time, they only gain you micky mouse qualifications

there is always work out there, its just getting it
CORSA NUT

16th Jul 10 at 10:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm about to go into my last year mate.

First of all you NEED to go to college and do the full 3 1/2 ish years. You need to find an employer who will basically hire you and be your mentor all the way through and you will have day release at college one day a week.

In short unless your going this route then don't bother as you will never be good enough to earn a decent living even when qualified. I'm classed as an 'Adult Trainee' and get paid £9.89 an hour which isn't the best but i can get by on it. I'm with a company called Scientium who basically through the government pay for all my college fees etc and get me through it. The industry is on it's arse at the moment so i'd seriously think about doing something else. What do you do now mate?

And if you do one of these 6 week courses i'll personally come and kill you
CORSA NUT

16th Jul 10 at 10:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mattk
its a 4 year college course, Idealy you would want to do a day release college course where you work for 4 days as an apprentice electrician and do one day in college

this would mean packing in your current job and working as an apprentice, money is pretty shocking for the first 2 years £80 - £100 a week

its tricky buisness actuasly getting into a company now, I dont know how old you are but if your 23+ its especially hard, getting a place at college isnt that hard

you will find part time courses that will gain you "industry recognised qualifications" these are really a waste of time, they only gain you micky mouse qualifications

Matt FFS you beat me
CORSA NUT

16th Jul 10 at 10:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm 29 and found that people want people my age with more 'Life' experience to train up nowadays. Plus i've been an engineer for 8 years and biult electrical panels which helped.
Bart

16th Jul 10 at 10:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Corsa nut, who did you work for building electrical panels?
We're panel builders ourselves, im an electrical panel designer
CORSA NUT

16th Jul 10 at 10:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My main career is a Lifting Gear Engineer mate

I used to work prodominatly in the entertainment industry working with electric chain hoists etc etc. The panels are used to basically control the hoists. Ie Ali G at the brits on the flying bed We did that one
A2H GO

16th Jul 10 at 10:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers for taking the time to give me some advice guys. You’ve basically confirmed my thoughts that ive already missed my window(24, house, partner etc) meaning it would be impossible for me to do a full time college course/apprenticeship both financially and socially.

I’ve never regretted anything more in my life than not staying a college and ill be making sure my kids don’t make the same mistake. Good luck to you both.
MarkSport

16th Jul 10 at 10:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I am, I started In april with my company and day 5 days a week.I'm a self employed sub contractor for birmingham council.I'm still a trainee but I'm starting my day release at college as I'm an apprentice.good fun though as 4 days on site work and one day at college cuts your course time dramatically.main thing that you have to really be there for the the inspection and testing which is like your last year at college.I'm gaining my city and guilds qualification.

you're best off trying to get an apprentice position instead of fulltime college

[Edited on 16-07-2010 by MarkSport]
CORSA NUT

16th Jul 10 at 10:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mate don't give up totally! If you can get one a system like mine £9.50 was my starting wage! I know it's not a lot but your learning a trade the right way. At least enquire first then you'll know It's not an easy job though by any means i graft like fuck a lot of the time
CORSA NUT

16th Jul 10 at 10:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bart
Corsa nut, who did you work for building electrical panels?
We're panel builders ourselves, im an electrical panel designer

This is a couple of my panels mate.I did massive ones aswell but i only ever took a few pics.
mattk

16th Jul 10 at 10:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldnt be too hard on your self, aside from your age and other things now is not the time to be getting into the building trade

its a fucking nightmare at the min, Ive been doing one day a week now since march

Im even on the dole at the min
CORSA NUT

16th Jul 10 at 10:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I wouldnt be too hard on your self, aside from your age and other things now is not the time to be getting into the building trade

its a fucking nightmare at the min, Ive been doing one day a week now since march

Im even on the dole at the min

Same here Matt i got finished up 3 weeks ago but only because my boss is going to work offshore for 100K a year Wanker
MarkSport

16th Jul 10 at 10:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Hit the nail on the head there.I'm on £125 a week before tax meanign i bring home £100 exact.It's solid getting a job place as one though as obviously not just anyone can come in and wire your house for you.I've been extremely lucky to be given a place where we do all 3 aspects of wiring...domestic,industrial and commercial.
Daimo B

16th Jul 10 at 10:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Would love too.

Same as a plumber, both good trades.

They guy I took this job off went off to be a odd job bloke. He's doing his sparky course, costing something silly like £5k.

But I knwo some sparkies who had Astons and Porkies by their mid-late twenties.
MarkSport

16th Jul 10 at 10:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm paying £400 for each year but the last year is £100.I shouldn't technically be paying it as its down to my employer as he took me on as an apprentice but hes basically said "i got you a job,you can fund your course"

the course each year without a job is £1,680 where i live
mattk

16th Jul 10 at 10:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

maybe 5 or 10 years ago, not these days

still, with the lack of kids doing apprenticships these days, in a few years us tradesmen should be better off as there will be a shortage of new lads comming out of college

Im a plumber btw not a spark, they are very simmilar, except we make more mess haha
antnee

16th Jul 10 at 10:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

People saying its a bad time atm, its got to go up at some point, I reakon now is a good time, as in 4 years it will be picking up little while after that once he's experienced, there should be loads of stuff.

One of the local sparkys around here is rammed for work! Working till 9 most days at the moment!
MarkSport

16th Jul 10 at 10:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not intirely true antee.I'm on a day off atm along with 3 other lads off our firm with only the boss working.wiork has gone quiet now.We need a few more domestic rows off the council tenants so we can go and fix the lights and switches they have smashed up

saying that though,we're rammed next week hence why I'm doing a 400 mile round trip sundday to get my own van

EDIT: Plus, the guys round your end will prob work for the same company as us... (midland heart) and we have not long taken over gedling homes aswell

[Edited on 16-07-2010 by MarkSport]
Bart

16th Jul 10 at 10:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CORSA NUT
This is a couple of my panels mate.I did massive ones aswell but i only ever took a few pics.

What do you call massive?

I dont have access to many photos at home, but heres a couple from panels ive designed;

This is the biggest panel ive ever designed, 32m back to back (16m in total), rated at 3200A

CORSA NUT

16th Jul 10 at 10:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Not that big! lol i'm only talking walk in but about wardrobe size.
daymoon
Premium Member

16th Jul 10 at 10:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bart, that is what my dad builds, but he actually built one that is twice the size of your biggest one I know cos i was part of it too when i had a job at that place!

The biggest one had two transformators, and something silly like 20 section. Had to be U shaped aswell. I think that one was for whiterose shopping centre.

Been building loads of stuff for Olympic village for last year or so!
daymoon
Premium Member

16th Jul 10 at 11:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Found a pic on dads PC

Obvisouly thats half of it, same behind it + transformers.
Bart

16th Jul 10 at 11:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

very nice.
Can I ask who your dad works for, link to a website? Im intruiged.
daymoon
Premium Member

16th Jul 10 at 11:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gr electrical

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Self Employed Electrician 22 database queries in 0.0273838 seconds