corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » 1 car, 2 insurance policies

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 1 car, 2 insurance policies
Jakey
Premium Member

User status: Offline
24th Jul 10 at 20:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can this be done? Im bassically wanting to sell my and get something else but it won't be for a few weeks, maybe months. I don't won't to end my policy as i want to keep the NCB building. I was planning on swapping my insurance onto my sisters car (which is already insured) for a month or so untill i've got myself a car.

What are the rules on this? I've read different stories on the net. Some saying you can't and some saying you can but you can't claim on both policies if you have an accident.

Thanks.
AlexW

24th Jul 10 at 20:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dont see why it would be an issue, one insurance policy is for when you drive it, other is for when she drives it?
Jakey
Premium Member

24th Jul 10 at 20:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Technically, yes. Honestly, no.

The only reason i won't to swap my insurance onto it is so i don't lose the 7-8months NCB ive got so far.
All Torque

24th Jul 10 at 20:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't see the issue, I've bought and insured cars that the previous owner was still insured on. Its whos name is on the logbook that counts, right?
Jakey
Premium Member

24th Jul 10 at 20:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by All Torque
Don't see the issue, I've bought and insured cars that the previous owner was still insured on. Its whos name is on the logbook that counts, right?

So should be reet as long as im friends/family with the policy holder? One of my mates said just insure a random 1litre on pistonheads
taylorboosh

24th Jul 10 at 21:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jakey
quote:
Originally posted by All Torque

So should be reet as long as im friends/family with the policy holder? One of my mates said just insure a random 1litre on pistonheads

why not suspend your policy

[Edited on 24-07-2010 by john-d]
Jakey
Premium Member

24th Jul 10 at 21:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is that possible? I didn't think you could do that, hence asking about insuring the same vehicle. I'll have to dig my documents out and have a good read i think.
Pop

24th Jul 10 at 21:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you had a bump the two policies would cancel eachother out iirc
M2RTY

24th Jul 10 at 21:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

illegal to claim twice, unsure on 2 policies

i have done it myself loads of times on my mams car or random ones for sale
taylorboosh

24th Jul 10 at 21:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes just phone yoyr company and ask them to suspnd the policy as you are looking for a new vehicle
johnhara1

24th Jul 10 at 23:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I normally just leave my policy active on the car I've sold for the last few months.

Did it this time while i went to oz. Policy has ended now and NCB received.
Liam

24th Jul 10 at 23:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When I sold my car, the insurance company told me I could keep the policy running for 30 days until I could find another car.
Jakey
Premium Member

25th Jul 10 at 09:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anybody else any ideas?
Rob R

25th Jul 10 at 12:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Most policies you can put on hold for 30 days. You can't have 2 policies on one car though, I wanted to test drive a car and asked my insurer to cover me on it for the day, can't do it as there's already an active policy on the vehicle.
Jake

25th Jul 10 at 12:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if youre desperate buy a car out the paper for 50quid, keep it on the drive and insure it then scrap it when youve got a new car
Jakey
Premium Member

25th Jul 10 at 12:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fair does. Finding a scrapper for under a couple of hundred quid.
Cole

25th Jul 10 at 12:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Iirc you can only insure a car that you actually own as its your sisters car i dont think you can insure it plus your insurance comapny will know or would be able to find out that the car is already insured
AndyCorsaSport

25th Jul 10 at 12:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I sold my car day before i went on holiday, just left it as if i owned it, went on hol for 10 days, came back and bought a car week after, then rung them to say i wanted it changing.
Gary
Premium Member

25th Jul 10 at 13:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Find a car on a forecourt that don't look like it'll sell anytime soon and stick your policy on that, sorted.
Jakey
Premium Member

25th Jul 10 at 14:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Reckon that's do-able?
Ian
Site Administrator

25th Jul 10 at 14:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Some wacky advice in here.

You can't do what you propose.

Call them, tell them the situation, ask them to suspend the policy.

Or find a car sooner.
Rob R

25th Jul 10 at 15:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by glb
Find a car on a forecourt that don't look like it'll sell anytime soon and stick your policy on that, sorted.

sound advice
Bonney

25th Jul 10 at 15:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Less hastle to just suspend the policy. I did it around 2 months before my other insurance ran out, then found another car around a month and half later
pow
Premium Member

26th Jul 10 at 10:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can't do this, it's illegal
vaux.dan

26th Jul 10 at 16:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i was wanting to do this
some one mentioned you cant be insured if the cars not in their name?

wey my gf has a clio but hasnt passed her test but her dad is insured on the car :S

i too wanted to get insured onit :/ looks like al have to buy a scrapper and insure that

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » 1 car, 2 insurance policies 22 database queries in 0.0140600 seconds