corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » putting a kitten to sleep?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author putting a kitten to sleep?
Root

User status: Offline
24th Jul 10 at 21:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not the best forum for advice but I'm upset.

My kitten has a hernia from her umbilical cord. he's 6 weeks old, I always wanted to call our last 2 cats "scrambles" but they were girls, then this came from one of the females...

The hernia is approximately slightly smaller than a ping pong ball, and she's 6 weeks old. So, it's pretty big for her size. It's in the middle of his belly, where his umbilical cord used to be.

We always noticed it before but thought it was excess floppy skin from him umbilical cord area, but even if we spotted it sooner, they can't op on him because he's too young.

The vet said we can:
- put him to sleep
- leave him alone and hope it goes down etc but he might die.
- have a £400 operation on him but he might die.

We're very skint, we barely have money and have to borrow most times for food to eat ourselves throughout the month, but the £400 is not an object, we can borrow that and pay it back. The money doesn't matter. But when we brought him home, we suckled from the mother for a while, he won't touch solids (which we weaned him on), we just bought him some whiska's kitten milk to drink as the mother wasn't extremely interested in feeding him and half hour-1 hour later he's just been meowing like crazy, then he was sick a few times. Just rang the vet on an emergency hotline number and she said the damage is probably already done if he's being sick, his guts are probably...rotting.

Thing is, I love this cat so much and I'm crying. I don't want to have to put him to sleep if it's not neccessary, why should it be my decision? What should I do? I want him to live, so much. He's adoreable and so playful, usually. He's not in pain at the minute by the way, he's fine. I just hope he doesn't throw up again, I don't wanna put him to sleep.
Lawrah
Premium Member

24th Jul 10 at 21:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If its going to cause him pain, I would put him down.
Nath

24th Jul 10 at 21:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We had a life saving operation on our last dog. Best money we've ever spent. Even if the chances are slight it's worth a try, but then from what the emergency vet said it may be too late.

Sad story though mate
Root

24th Jul 10 at 21:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Lawrah

but, is it worth the operation to TRY to save him?
Root

quote:
Originally posted by Nath
We had a life saving operation on our last dog. Best money we've ever spent. Even if the chances are slight it's worth a try, but then from what the emergency vet said it may be too late.

Sad story though mate

she sounded like she was saying it's too late...but then again some animals...and people do defy all their odds and chances don't they?
Cole

you have to let him go root if hes being sick i know its hard but you cant borrow the money for an op that he might die during its your only choice dont let him suffer
Root

24th Jul 10 at 21:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cole
you have to let him go root if hes being sick i know its hard but you cant borrow the money for an op that he might die during its your only choice dont let him suffer

but at least we're giving him a chance. They could save his life but it's just he's too young for these kind of operations yet...

It would be a chance...he won't suffer because he will already be under anesthetic, so either way, get put to sleep or...try to save him, he will be unconscious for it..
gazza808

When we got our puppy from the breeder, 2 of the pups had exactly the same thing, the vet had told them to gaffa tape them in by wrapping it round their body and the hernia, looked like they werre wearing belts lol,
As far as I know it worked, the vet said it very common and is easy to sort if it need fixing involving a small op and stitches,
Try another vet for a second opinion?
Twiggy

quote:
Originally posted by Root
quote:
Originally posted by Lawrah

but, is it worth the operation to TRY to save him?

Sounds like you know what you want to do tbh...

I would put it down.
Pop

24th Jul 10 at 21:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If I was in your situation I would put it down.
Shell
Premium Member

24th Jul 10 at 21:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The little soul sounds likehe's suffering Root and from what you've said, you obviously don't want that. I think you know what you need to do, and it's better for him.
Root

24th Jul 10 at 21:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Shell
The little soul sounds likehe's suffering Root and from what you've said, you obviously don't want that. I think you know what you need to do, and it's better for him.

everyone dies and I accept that. I'm not even afraid of my own death, but I beleive things should have the chance to experience life before they die, else what's the point? He's too young
Root

24th Jul 10 at 21:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

he's not meowing or showing any signs of pain, he's asleep, he can't be in any pain or suffering if he's able to sleep?
Pop

24th Jul 10 at 21:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Unfortunately it is survival of the fittest and all part of natural selection.
Root

24th Jul 10 at 21:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Pop
Unfortunately it is survival of the fittest and all part of natural selection.

I really want him to live. Sometimes pets go against the odds etc. My mum spent over £1k on her cat having operations and they told her she might die, but she's alive and kicking, over 2 years on..

He was the favorite and I want him to live, so so much
taylorboosh

24th Jul 10 at 21:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i cant work out if its male or female from your first post, one min its a he then a she? leaning towards he tbh...

i would have him put to sleep tbh mate i know its hard, but it will be worse when you see him/her too weak to stand up from lack of nutrition. if a vet thought he could save the cat, he wouldve said
Root

24th Jul 10 at 21:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sorry, he's a male.

yes, but it's hard for a vet to say..Not all cats who have this type of operation will die, else they wouldn't even attempt it...

but we're keeping a very keen eye on him, he's just suckled from his mum again, if he is sick again, we will have to operate on him, 10am this morning (soonest we can), or have him put to sleep at 10am this morning.

It's stupid though how his life is in our hands..he could be fine if we don't op, yet die? But if we put him to sleep and he might live in the op?
DannyB
Premium Member

24th Jul 10 at 21:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Put him out of his pain mate, I know what you're going through and it will be hard but you have to think what is best for him
taylorboosh

24th Jul 10 at 21:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

a waiting game, you could spend 400 quid you dont have on a cat that cost 20 quid and he die 2 days later. i know it sounds harsh but id have him put to sleep and get a new kitten
Shell
Premium Member

24th Jul 10 at 21:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I mean no disrespect here, but are you drunk? You sound ever so slightly drunk.
I think he's a baby and the vet has said his insides are probably already rotting. He's most probably already in pain and it's quite cruel to prolong that on the off chance he MIGHT survive. It's likely it'll be a massive operation, and at 6 weeks old, it's like operating on a 6 week old child. The recovery would be slow and painful, if they poor critter even survived.
Root

24th Jul 10 at 21:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by john-d
a waiting game, you could spend 400 quid you dont have on a cat that cost 20 quid and he die 2 days later. i know it sounds harsh but id have him put to sleep and get a new kitten

he didn't cost £20, he was from his mother's litter..

It's not putting him out of his pain if he has the operation though?
he won't feel a thing, if he's put to sleep or operated on, he'll be completely unconscious. I just think it'd be stupid to not give him more of a fighting chance. If we do operate though, he'll die while being operated on, if at all, he won't die after that. So he won't suffer..

If we do choose to have him operated, to give him more of a chance, it'll be 10AM tomorrow morning
Shell
Premium Member

24th Jul 10 at 22:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What about the vets bills after the operation? It sounds like you have a sickly animal here, and the bills will most definately mount up, rather than a one off £400, not to mention a lifetime of suffering. If you can't evem afford to eat yourself, surely bringing an animal into that environment is a bit cruel? I do understand you are upset and hurt, and anybody would be iny our situation, but you need to think logically of what's best for him.
Root

24th Jul 10 at 22:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I mean no disrespect here, but are you drunk? You sound ever so slightly drunk.
I think he's a baby and the vet has said his insides are probably already rotting. He's most probably already in pain and it's quite cruel to prolong that on the off chance he MIGHT survive. It's likely it'll be a massive operation, and at 6 weeks old, it's like operating on a 6 week old child. The recovery would be slow and painful, if they poor critter even survived.

sorry, had a few beers, just a bit upset that's all..

but what if he isn't even ill and his hernia will go away or even just stay there doing no damage for the rest of his 15 years and we've put him to sleep, what a waste?

Try to understand as if it was your own kitten, a proper bundle of joy that you were really looking forward to and then this happens..I do want what's best for him but...6 weeks, that's not a life? I know he's only 1 little kitten in the whole big wide world but, 6 weeks is too young for any creature
Root

24th Jul 10 at 22:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
What about the vets bills after the operation? It sounds like you have a sickly animal here, and the bills will most definately mount up, rather than a one off £400, not to mention a lifetime of suffering. If you can't evem afford to eat yourself, surely bringing an animal into that environment is a bit cruel? I do understand you are upset and hurt, and anybody would be iny our situation, but you need to think logically of what's best for him.

It's not that. We're in debt, we usually put our rent first, then our bills, leaving ourselves short for food, we always have enough to feed all our cats, no matter what. They're never neglected or hungry, ever. Lol, the crazy cat lady I live with makes sure of that
Shell
Premium Member

24th Jul 10 at 22:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

6 weeks is too young for any creature to be put through a major operation that they likleyhood is, he won't even survive. I think you need to sober up a bit and then have a think. You aren't seeing it clearly with a drink in you.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » putting a kitten to sleep? 22 database queries in 0.0143130 seconds