corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Cardio vs Weighted exercise

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Cardio vs Weighted exercise
bubble

User status: Offline
26th Jul 10 at 11:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have a question as i am getting mixed responses from different people.

i currently user the gym 5/7 days a week, and my aim initially is too lose weight, then tone up.

so far 6 weeks into going, i have only been doing weighted exercise, and in 6 weeks i have seen massive gains in chest and arm size, but i want to loose weight as im a good 3 stone over.

some people are saying stick to weights as it will burn fat, other people are saying do cardio for weight loss.

i am after dropping belly then toning, which is the best method?
Laney

26th Jul 10 at 11:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What's the diet looking like?

And to answer the initial question I'd say its more about intensity than anything. Weighted exercises still work the lungs/heart

[Edited on 26-07-2010 by Laney]
bubble

26th Jul 10 at 11:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Laney

breakfast apples

lunch tuna and veg, normally carrots or green beans

about 4ish-another apple

then for tea, normally a chicken breast(proper not processed) or steak or fish.

i also have vitamin supplements each day as well
Laney

26th Jul 10 at 11:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd say stick at it. 6 weeks is a drop in the ocean in the scheme of things!
bubble

26th Jul 10 at 11:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

And to answer the initial question I'd say its more about intensity than anything. Weighted exercises still work the lungs/heart

[Edited on 26-07-2010 by Laney]

oh god yeah, i mean when i go, i do put 110% in all the time, and i feel exhausted after and sweat like fook, but my aim is too drop weight, and im been told cardio is the way forward!
chr15barn3s

26th Jul 10 at 11:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is what I want to do, lose weight first then tone up.

Previously at an old gym I just used weights as it was what I had been told would work. I actually put on more weight

This time I have started at another gym (2 months ago) and am working cardio pretty hard, generally 45-60 mins 3 times a week minimum with a few of the weight machines thrown in afterwards but varying each time I go. So far I have lost weight, not sure how much currently but I need to buy new jeans as they are too big for me now and I feel so much fitter already.
ssj_kakarot

26th Jul 10 at 11:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you dont need to do one or the other, do both.

also you cant really tone muscle up you just build muscle and increase its size.

a solid 3 day weight program coupled with decent cardio training is what you need.

just lift weights then cardio straight after, add a low calorie high protein diet and stick to that.

If your really serious eat 5 - 6 small meals a day, limit your carb intake to pre and post workout mainly and stick to it.
ssj_kakarot

26th Jul 10 at 11:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ssj_kakarot
you dont need to do one or the other, do both.

also you cant really tone muscle up you just build muscle and increase its size.

a solid 3 day weight program coupled with decent cardio training is what you need.

just lift weights then cardio straight after, add a low calorie high protein diet and stick to that.

If your really serious eat 5 - 6 small meals a day, limit your carb intake to pre and post workout mainly and stick to it.

also what you have been told is technically correct, lifting weights does burn a lot of calories no need to pick one or the other, but to lose weight you need to be doing a minimum of 45 mins of cardio a day at a constant resistance, con-try to popular belief this doesnt need to be intense, just something that will give you a light sweat and increase your height rate, so jogging, biking and stair machine ect are all good cardio but you shouldnt be doing it so intense your out of breath and sweating like a cunt.

but like i said its all about diet, if you limit calories and carb intake whilst still consuming large enough ammounts of protein you will lose fat and increase muscle size at the same time, but you diet needs to be pretty clean.

best of luck.
Dave86

27th Jul 10 at 18:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

after you do you weight exercises, try 20mins on treadmill or x-trainer, im sure in a few weeks youll see a difference in your weight

i always do around 20-25 mins cardio after my workout, and i go running for about 30-35mins before work in the morning!

diet seems good, just cut the carbs down to an absolute minimum, toast in the morning, thats it, no more carbs throughout the day!

[Edited on 27-07-2010 by Dave86]
Carl

27th Jul 10 at 19:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What you need to do is take some body measurements. Muscle weighs more than fat, so if you are increasing muscle mass you'll be getting heavier so this may be negating the weight loss you are hoping to achieve.

Personally I think cardio is the way forward to losing weight in a way that you require, long moderate cardio at about 65% of your max heart rate. Look at it this way, you never see a fat marathon runner! Obviously you don't need to go to this extreme and athletes such as rowers still have a muscular physique.
strick206

27th Jul 10 at 19:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chr15barn3s
This is what I want to do, lose weight first then tone up.

Previously at an old gym I just used weights as it was what I had been told would work. I actually put on more weight

This time I have started at another gym (2 months ago) and am working cardio pretty hard, generally 45-60 mins 3 times a week minimum with a few of the weight machines thrown in afterwards but varying each time I go. So far I have lost weight, not sure how much currently but I need to buy new jeans as they are too big for me now and I feel so much fitter already.

Pretty sure you should be doing the weights before the cardio not the other way around
strick206

27th Jul 10 at 19:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As has been said, you dont want to get on a bike and pelt it as fast as you can for as long as you can, get onto a bike or treadmill, cross trainer and do a constant amount, 30-45 at about 140 heart rate

That will see you drop weight

Diet is also massively important. Your diet isn't bad but not getting enough of what your body needs imo

Try getting some protein shakes in etc

For instance

Breakfast 8: 00 - 3 Scrambled eggs, (i have some low fat cheese also, about 50grams)

10: 30 - I have a protein bar, not cheap but help me

1: 00 - Your lunch is spot on really, tuna and salad, nothing wrong with that

3: 30 - Protein shake, say about 1 hour before you work out

4: 30-5: 00 - Work Out

7: 30 - Chicken breasts etc, you're evening meal is fine with veg. Maybe look into what carbs are best post-workout so you can add some of them into your meal

EDIT - Also drink plenty of water

[Edited on 27-07-2010 by strick206]
John

27th Jul 10 at 21:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you build muscle you''ll put on weight even if the fat comes off.

What I assume most people really want to do is lose fat, not weight.
Rob R

27th Jul 10 at 22:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Important thing to remember is not to overtrain. Do a different muscle group every other day and do your cardio on the days inbetween.
bubble

28th Jul 10 at 11:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so, as an update, i have been doing cardio for two days on the bounce, im doing one hour on bike, split into 3 segments. heart rate maintains between 155-160 for the duration.

after the cardio, i am doing my weighted work like i normally did before.

since sunday i have dropped 8lb.

i forgot to say in my diet i am on whey protein as well, so i am getting protein there.

ill weigh again in a week and see from there!
Laney

28th Jul 10 at 11:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you've got access to a pool I'd strongly suggest swimming too mate
bubble

28th Jul 10 at 11:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
If you've got access to a pool I'd strongly suggest swimming too mate

yeh we have a pool, but tbh, swimming bores the pants off me
Laney

28th Jul 10 at 12:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's probably the best all round exercise you can do, that's all.
bubble

28th Jul 10 at 12:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
It's probably the best all round exercise you can do, that's all.

i know dude, cheers though!!
FruitBooTeR

28th Jul 10 at 13:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As long as your diets ok then all you have to do is do 10min intense cardio a few times a week.

What i did was ware a think jacket (nylon waterproof type) when i was doing cardio to sweat more, this really worked well and I noticed a difference.

It also depends on how big you want to get in terms of muscle size, if you want to get more muscle then I wouldnt do much cardio, a good diet, weights and 10 min of cardio now and agin will be fine.
ssj_kakarot

28th Jul 10 at 14:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by FruitBooTeR
As long as your diets ok then all you have to do is do 10min intense cardio a few times a week.

What i did was ware a think jacket (nylon waterproof type) when i was doing cardio to sweat more, this really worked well and I noticed a difference.

It also depends on how big you want to get in terms of muscle size, if you want to get more muscle then I wouldnt do much cardio, a good diet, weights and 10 min of cardio now and agin will be fine.

:/ sweating doesnt make you lose weight at all it just dehydrates you so you weigh less due to loss of liquid/salts ect, hence why fighters dehydrate before a weigh in.

as soon as you rehydrate you put the weight back on

Sweat does not equal weight loss

and you should do cardio after weights not before, as your heart rate will already be high ect ect.
ssj_kakarot

28th Jul 10 at 14:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ow and you need a lot more cardio to lose weight than 10 mins perhaps if your skinny to start with thats fine but thats not enough for the average over weight chap.

although a lot of this has to do with your genetics ect.
csweatherston

28th Jul 10 at 18:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I switched to fasted AM cardio, instead of my usual pre weight cardio.
It has shed a lot of unwanted fat from me.

May be worth a try.
strick206

28th Jul 10 at 19:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

and you should do cardio after weights not before, as your heart rate will already be high ect ect.

As i said above but appears to have been completely missed by bubble

bubble

28th Jul 10 at 22:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by strick206
quote:

As i said above but appears to have been completely missed by bubble

sorry dude wasnt trying to ignore you.

im gettin mixed reports from everyone-for example, you said to not pelt it like fuck on the bikes, do it constant, where as Lance Armstrong says in this months Mens Health, that going as fast as you can is better for you as it works heart better than constant.

however i am mega grateful for everyones input, and in fact tonight, i did weights then an hour cardio, and i feel better, and like i have achieved more, so i am uber grateful.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Cardio vs Weighted exercise 23 database queries in 0.0162132 seconds