corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » RC Cars question

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author RC Cars question
Simon

User status: Offline
4th Aug 10 at 21:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mate has recently bought himself an RC car so I thought I'd dig mine out and give him a run around. I have two Ni-Cd batteries, one is a team orion 1500 one is a tamiya 1400. I think the last time I used them was possible about 10 years ago. I've given them both a long charge and they are holding a bit of power but cars seem pretty slow. I'm guessing thats t because the batteries are goosed. Looking at new ones there seems to be ones at 3000 to 5000 ratings. I guess this is more powerful? Do I need to worry about anything else by getting these to replace my older batteries? Really I just want to be faster than my mates brand new car

Cheers
Firestate88

4th Aug 10 at 22:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

3000 should do what you need for
as for being faster what spec is his?
diff rating motors and speedos make the speed, not the battery power
they just determine how long you can go for
Firestate88

4th Aug 10 at 22:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and i bet yours being 10 years old will be brushed, his will be prushless so will wipe the floor with yours
AndyKent

4th Aug 10 at 22:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

IIRC, the rating number is just how much charge they can hold. So drawing the same cuurent, the 5000s will last longer than the 3500s.

However many cells you have in sequence, and the rating of the motor/speed controller should make the difference.

It might be slower now though because the cells can't output the full voltage.
Simon

4th Aug 10 at 22:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i do have uprated motors and electronic speedos in mine although they are also 10 years old but he has just the standard tamiya motor, mechanical speedo etc. So hoping that will count for something, i thought the number on the batteries may have effected power as well. Is it possibly to get batteries up to scratch again after such a long time or should i just get myself a new one?
Tommy L

4th Aug 10 at 22:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've just been looking at RC cars
Simon

4th Aug 10 at 22:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

by the way what does brushed and prushless mean?
AndyKent

4th Aug 10 at 22:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You could try cycling the batteries a few times and see how much charge they're taking in and giving out again, but you'll need a charger with a decent display to do that.....
Tomnova16
Premium Member

4th Aug 10 at 22:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

of no help at all but i have a petrol m3 one, hmmmm might bust it out

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
sand-eel

4th Aug 10 at 23:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Simon
by the way what does brushed and prushless mean?

Its supposed to be brushed and brushless.
Its just the design of the motor, where motors with brushes are constantly brushing off the magnet i think and brushless has the commutator (brush) very near to the magnets so elecrtomagnetism spins it.
Basically the brushed ones have more friction and wear out faster.
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
4th Aug 10 at 23:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The Ah rating is a measurement of how much charge the battery can hold, it won't affect speed. That is dictated, assuming you don't change the motor for one which draws more current, by the voltage.
Simon

5th Aug 10 at 08:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for that, may pop out on lunch break and get one new battery and see how it compares
Jamie Walby

5th Aug 10 at 12:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your mates may not have a brushless motor in it!

If it has, you will need more than new batteries to keep up with him.

If you wanted to upgrade to a brushless motor you would also need to upgrade your speed controller. Then, if you want to get the most out of the motor, you would need to upgrade to a Lithium Polymer battery and a charger to suit. Car would be ballistic though!!!!

If you just want to have a bit of fun, def just try a new NiMH battery. As has been said though a higher capacity pack wont make the car faster, just last longer before it needs chargin again!
Kurt

5th Aug 10 at 12:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I found that when using a higher power battery, it lasted longer, but got so much hotter, i think in the end the motor live melted :s

this was on a Tamiya TL01 with LRC Sprinter esc and team orion/oribital 16/17 turn motor and few other bits
Simon

5th Aug 10 at 12:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have just got myself a new battery, 3600 something or other for a tenner. I will probably only use the cars this weekend and then put them away for another 10 years so not too fussed about it, would just be nice to be faster
3CorsaMeal

5th Aug 10 at 13:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kurt
I found that when using a higher power battery, it lasted longer, but got so much hotter, i think in the end the motor live melted :s

this was on a Tamiya TL01 with LRC Sprinter esc and team orion/oribital 16/17 turn motor and few other bits

i kept buying upgrades for mine, same model TL01 and everything melted, i kept upgrading bits when they melted but now its broken again, i think my esc has buggered again thats the 2nd no limit one, last one was about £70

either that or something else, chucked it in the warddrobe now to be forgotten about
Kurt

5th Aug 10 at 16:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have the metal bearings (plastic ones just melt)
Speed tuned gear set, different pinions, Lrp sprinter

Just need a new motor for mine, oh and a steering knuckle screw, mine fell out somehow

Shells actually make a difference too, my clk gtr dtm shell is rapid compare to my focus wrc
Simon

5th Aug 10 at 20:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had a quick play earlier, new battery seems to have done job. Although one of the cars is faster in reverse so think I need to set the speedo up again
CorsAsh

6th Aug 10 at 06:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tommy L
I'm looking at helicopters here
KerryP

6th Aug 10 at 07:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nitro is the way forward.

I've had loads over the years, last one i had was an Xray XB8R competition spec buggy with a V-spec VZB-21 engine.

Was mental, raced against a mate with a nexw Losi 8 and it left him for dust.. he was gutted!

Quick video of me against the losi! (watch the bit with 60 seconds to go to see the head to head)

http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b117/theg4/?action=view&current=4b431418.flv

[Edited on 06-08-2010 by KerryP]
Jamie Walby

6th Aug 10 at 08:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CorsAsh
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy L
I'm looking at helicopters here

Do it
CorsAsh

6th Aug 10 at 18:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looking at a Honey Bee King 3, they're fairly reasonable over here, you know them at all?
sand-eel

6th Aug 10 at 22:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They look good those choppers, can still get even cheaper ones though, I wouldn't go anywhere near a nitro one for a noob, can cause serious damage to things/people + £££££ if you crash.
CorsAsh

6th Aug 10 at 22:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not if, WHEN. I want an electric one so I can start off indoors, terrorise the guys in the clay studios etc.

I know you can get cheaper ones, but I don't want a contra-rotation one, want a proper 6ch single rotor with tail. The HBK3 comes in a ready to fly kit including controller over here for €199 (£165).

[Edited on 06-08-2010 by CorsAsh]
antnee

6th Aug 10 at 23:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Higher capacity batteries will give more runtime but also more punch, a higher current draw rating (C) will also give more punch. Although not as noticeable with Lipo batteries, higher capacity will be faster due to lesser voltage drop when under load.

If you buy some Lipos, make sure you have a lipo charger and a low voltage cut off

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » RC Cars question 23 database queries in 0.0177538 seconds