corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » MOT = fail!

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author MOT = fail!
LeeM

User status: Offline
25th Aug 10 at 16:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive got nsf and osf brakes juddering which i can only assume is warped discs? and nsr and osr rear parking brake recording little or no effort, which again i can only assume is a stretched cable?
Steve
Premium Member

25th Aug 10 at 16:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wont be warped disks as theres no such thing, discs will need replacing though, or regrinding but its just as cost effective to replace
LeeM

25th Aug 10 at 16:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok, uneven discs?
Steve
Premium Member

25th Aug 10 at 16:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cementite burnt onto your discs from the pads

usually caused by sitting on the spot with the brakes applied when they are hot, burns an imprint of the pad material on the surface then causes the judder
LeeM

25th Aug 10 at 16:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cool i knew what caused it but didnt know in such detail what it was is there anything else that can cause the front brakes to judder?
AdamF
Premium Member

25th Aug 10 at 16:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sounds like a kwik fit MOT to me
Steve
Premium Member

25th Aug 10 at 16:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not really, it will deffo be that, 9 times out of 10 new discs cures it
Steve
Premium Member

adamf speaks sense aswell they dont drive the car on mot so how can they tell its juddering, they test the brakes on a rolling road type thing but i doubt that would give the negative effect through the steering

[Edited on 25-08-2010 by Steve]
LeeM

25th Aug 10 at 17:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AdamF
sounds like a kwik fit MOT to me

nah was done at nissan where my mate works, they know i'll be fixing it myself. just not had chance to speak to him about it i just picked up the keys from the receptionist
LeeM

25th Aug 10 at 17:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
adamf speaks sense aswell they dont drive the car on mot so how can they tell its juddering, they test the brakes on a rolling road type thing but i doubt that would give the negative effect through the steering

[Edited on 25-08-2010 by Steve]

it goes on the rollers to test the braking efficiency so any juddering would be picked up then
AdamF
Premium Member

25th Aug 10 at 17:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there is no way your brakes are juddering bad enough to fail an MOT if you havent noticed it first
LeeM

25th Aug 10 at 17:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

6% handbrake efficiency but no note of footbrake efficiency so i guess the shoes and drums themselves are fine?
LeeM

25th Aug 10 at 17:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AdamF
there is no way your brakes are juddering bad enough to fail an MOT if you havent noticed it first

oh ive noticed it, just didnt know it was a failure
Steve
Premium Member

25th Aug 10 at 17:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

going mad here mate, do you want me to go round there yard and remove there lips with a bag of wishbone bolts?
AdamF
Premium Member

25th Aug 10 at 17:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ah right ok then, as for the rears if the service brake efficency is ok then it probably just wants cleaning and adjusting and at worst some new cables
LeeM

25th Aug 10 at 17:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

erm, do you think that might help steve...?
mattk

25th Aug 10 at 17:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the brakes on our van used to judder alot, I dont mean a bit I mean a fucking lot so much so that every new apprentice we got would just look at you with a puzzled expression on his face the first few times you braked,

passed 2 MOTs with them like that , finaly changed them a couple of months ago and its now perfect
shane_o

25th Aug 10 at 17:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

corsa c's are rubish for the handbrake, just give the shoes and drums a good cleaning and sanding works 9/10 times for me.. brakes judering is not a mot failure..
AdamF
Premium Member

25th Aug 10 at 17:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by shane_o
corsa c's are rubish for the handbrake, just give the shoes and drums a good cleaning and sanding works 9/10 times for me.. brakes judering is not a mot failure..

yes it is, but they have to be BAD
LeeM

25th Aug 10 at 17:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
brakes judering is not a mot failure..

thats not what my fail sheet says... they know theyre not making any money from failing it so dont see why it would be on there if it wasnt a problem
shane_o

25th Aug 10 at 17:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

would have to be majoly bad to notice it on a brake tester surely? discs and pads and cleaning the rears it is for you then
AdamF
Premium Member

25th Aug 10 at 17:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LeeM
quote:
brakes judering is not a mot failure..

they know theyre not making any money from failing it so dont see why it would be on there if it wasnt a problem

because people who service cars aswell as doing MOTs particularly people who work in main dealers have different opinions on what is "safe" and generally dont realise how low MOT standards are

nopt suggesting your car shouldnt have failed though as i havent seen it
LeeM

25th Aug 10 at 17:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i reckon the guy was just being picky, you only notice under heavy braking once youve slowed down a bit. oh well at least new brakes is a plus point for the sale ad
Steve
Premium Member

25th Aug 10 at 17:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

seriously going mad here about this, you should see me in my bedroom right now, my arms are flying everywhere, in fact im on the verge of going downstairs and starting on my dad
LeeM

25th Aug 10 at 17:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

youre a strange one at times steve

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » MOT = fail! 22 database queries in 0.2986729 seconds