corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » General C20XE advice

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author General C20XE advice
RhysCorsa

User status: Offline
15th Sep 10 at 22:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I am aware that there are frequently many queries about converted Corsa's but i'm just after a bit of guidance before potential investing in one.

I currently have a VTR but I am after something a bit quicker yet still fairly cheap to purchase and maintain. From following the forum, am I right in saying the C20XE is quite a problematic engine? Or like most things is that dependant on how it is treated?

I pressume that the Corsa shell is a smaller space than the donor cars for the engine so does this mean that the engine has to be removed often for jobs? Reason being I need a reliable car to commute to work and i'm not sure what access i'd have to such equipment as i dont really work much on cars, or am I looking in the wrong direction for reliability.

On the other hand I don't see them being too problematic or there would be as many conversions as there are. I'm just after a bit of guidance before i would commit to getting one or whether to stick to something that is quicker with the standard engine and less hassle. Any help is appreciated
fazza

15th Sep 10 at 22:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

engines are exactly as you said... how there treated..

most take them from an astra or cav with 160k on and then chuck/bodge it into a corsa. You should atleast look at a service including cambelt before fitting. ideally you want one thats had a full rebuild and no cutting corners on wiring etc.

theres a few on here for sale ie sean_b his is for sale for £2950 iirc. but if you read through his build thread it has been meticulously maintained, the whole engine was rebuilt before fitting and wasnt just 'thrown' in.

As with everything, you get what you pay for. take your time buying one as theres some shitters out there
Sean-B

15th Sep 10 at 22:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If built right the engine is very reliable. Also the quality of the conversion is important.

As far as space goes it's actually very roomy in bay with the C20XE and I can see all but the most intrusive jobs being easy to carry out with it still in the bay.

(shameless plug) I've got a C20XE corsa for sale at the moment.

Edit: thanks fazza

[Edited on 15-09-2010 by Sean-B]
fazza

15th Sep 10 at 22:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mieran

15th Sep 10 at 22:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had a few, the ones I've bought of genuine people were spot on but the one I bought randomly of piston heads was a dog.

I would only buy one if the seller has built is.
RhysCorsa

15th Sep 10 at 22:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I see where you're coming from and I know it seems pretty obvious but when it comes to it I'd be devastated if I bought a shocker that seemed good in my eyes.

I'd love to buy yours Sean if I had that sorta money for one but as said you get what you pay for! It bothers me that I don't really have the motor knowledge and I'm guessing more than a haynes manuals required? Lol. Because if I did have problems it'd mean taking it to a garage which could get costly.

But there's nothing that stops them being a decent everyday and short commuter car if a decent ones found?
Archie
Organiser: Scotland
Premium Member

15th Sep 10 at 23:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I find my valver has more working space than the 16xe.
Have a look through my project and you'll get a rough idea what i put into mine.
Corsa_Sport21

16th Sep 10 at 06:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A mate built mine for me.Had welded shafts and home-made box section mounts.Was just as good as the conversion kit you can buy.
Engine went in the Corsa straight after coming out of the Cavvy.No rebuilds etc.If it dosnt need it,dont bother i say.Ran mint and was a quick wee fuker.

But as said,have a good look around it,make sure the wiring isnt bodged etc as thats probably 1 of the main reasons that running problems occur.

Pretty easy to spot a dog over a decent conversion.However there are the cheaper 1s out theyr that will be just as good so dont rule them out.
philip2

17th Sep 10 at 14:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you want to do it right, rebuild the xe before fitting it, and dont skimp of poor quality items
alan-g-w

17th Sep 10 at 14:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by philip2
if you want to do it right, rebuild the xe before fitting it, and dont skimp of poor quality items

I know that you'll know your stuff better than me when it comes to this sort of stuff, but what if the donor car has say 80k on it and runs sweet as? I wouldn't say it's a rule of thumb that you replace everything or that you shouldn't get one without a full rebuild. Fair enough if you've got time and money to throw at it just for the piece of mind but if you're doing it on a realistic budget all it would really need is a good service surely?

[Edited on 17-09-2010 by alan-g-w]
jon-valver

17th Sep 10 at 15:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im actually doing this as we speek i bought an xe but with unknown milage so i thought better safe than sorry.
i also on a budget thats whats anoying at the same time because ive replaced all pumps,gaskets,main/bigend bearings on bottom end and working my way up. to me when i put it in the corsa afta its all finished i know myself exaclty what has been done ect. so it may take a little longer and more money but it will be worth the wait.
Adam_B

17th Sep 10 at 15:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by alan-g-w
quote:

I know that you'll know your stuff better than me when it comes to this sort of stuff, but what if the donor car has say 80k on it and runs sweet as? I wouldn't say it's a rule of thumb that you replace everything or that you shouldn't get one without a full rebuild. Fair enough if you've got time and money to throw at it just for the piece of mind but if you're doing it on a realistic budget all it would really need is a good service surely?

If it aint broke dont fix it.
corsadonk
Premium Member

17th Sep 10 at 17:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just make sure you buy with you head and not your heart. Alot a bodged in like what has already been said. They are a lot easier to work on than a 1.6 16v engine.
alan-g-w

17th Sep 10 at 18:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Adam_B
quote:
Originally posted by alan-g-w
quote:

If it aint broke dont fix it.

My thought exactly, to a certain extent. Fair enough if you do a head gasket set, stem seals while it's off as well maybe purely for the fact that the head's 10x easier to take off out of the car and it would be relatively cheap, but as long as there's not any funny noises/ running issues I wouldn't be replacing everything unless I had a few thousand to spend. And parts would be upgraded where possible.

Adam_B

17th Sep 10 at 18:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldnt even bother doing the HG unless there were signes it was gone. Service, Cambelt kit + water pump.

[Edited on 17-09-2010 by Adam_B]
alan-g-w

17th Sep 10 at 18:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you had the time and money there it would be worth it I think. You'd be able to get it done in half a day, a day if that. But I'd hardly say it's crucial either.

philip2

17th Sep 10 at 18:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I should of explained better. If you can hear it running or even better....driving, just do waterpump, belt, plugs, but if like jon bought an xe with unknown history, no reciepts of work etc, for peace of mind id rebuild. Bit dif for me as I could strip and rebuild in about 7hours tops.

Some people have a suck it and see, personaly I like knowing iv got a good fresh motor + I tend to do a few perf mods too lol.

Bt as for reliability, get a gud runner and look after it and you'l be fine
alan-g-w

17th Sep 10 at 18:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye philip, if I could I would as well (not in 7 hours though). I thought you were saying don't do a conversion unless you're re-building it.

RhysCorsa

17th Sep 10 at 19:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for the replies. Its clarrified several doubts or queries that I had to be honest. Philip, you say you can strip and rebuild, do you do that for other people on a payment basis? Just that i'm located practically where you are i'm guessing.
philip2

17th Sep 10 at 19:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah iv just setup as a business doing engine building/headwork etc, bt been doing engines for nearly 10years now. Where bouts are you? I can build stock to full race so can do whatever engine wise lol
RhysCorsa

17th Sep 10 at 19:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ahhh yeah great, well i'm in only in Deeside like. You could be a handy guy to know then if I decide to go for a C20XE whether its a gooden or a dog! lol
Archie
Organiser: Scotland
Premium Member

17th Sep 10 at 20:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its not like you would buy a Cav and do a rebuild though?
Just your luck i suppose my mate didnt even put a belt on his engine and it went like fuck, i wanted piece of mind and opened it up done the top end and replaced gaskets and stuff and had a head skim.
philip2

17th Sep 10 at 20:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah, im only up in hawarden, just give me a shout if need anything
RhysCorsa

17th Sep 10 at 20:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well no, i guess i'd just be buying one that seems a decent conversion to me and hoping for the best lol. Ok philip, now I just need to locate a seemingly decent one for the budget i'll have :/ Oh, and how much did that work you had done cost out of interest Archie?

[Edited on 17-09-2010 by RhysCorsa]
philip2

17th Sep 10 at 21:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whts ur budget matey

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » General C20XE advice 22 database queries in 0.0138159 seconds