corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Pet Day: How to train a dog?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Pet Day: How to train a dog?
MarkSport

User status: Offline
19th Nov 10 at 00:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi All

who here has managed to train their dog/s?

Our puppy is like 5 months old now but all of a sudden has started biting when you go to stroke her. it is only every so often she does it, like any typical women

I will also take her on a walk where she will not do her business but when she gets back she poo's on the carpet

had enough!

Hammer

19th Nov 10 at 00:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't attempt to pat it by placing your index finger in it's mouth simulating a bone.

This would be my first move.
MarkSport

19th Nov 10 at 00:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that pic was taken when we first got her. shes bigger now.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

19th Nov 10 at 00:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Smack it as hard as you can, try using your feet if that doesn't do the trick.
Ste M

19th Nov 10 at 00:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm pissed. What breed of mongrel is that Mark?
MarkSport

19th Nov 10 at 00:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Apparently its a toy poodle, but some have said its known as a shnoodle or some shit
Ste M

19th Nov 10 at 00:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cute as anything in that pic. But as far as discipline is concerned, nothing like the old rolled up newspaper! And launching it into the nearest wall!

I'm probably not helping. but my mother has a Bichon Frise, and it's the most horrid little shit you'd ever experience. Barks at the fucking wind, etc, but mother won't discipline it. Shouts at it like it understands what she's saying to it.
Norcy91

19th Nov 10 at 00:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My brother and his fiance got a Japanese Akita when she was a few months old, now she's coming up to 3 and she's perfectly fine (usually )

They started to train her by taking her to a training place near where we live and she seemed to pick things up fairly quickly.

The toilet thing was all about working out the signs that she needed to go and carrying her outside to do it and not bringing her back in till she had done it outside, then giving her plenty of praise and a treat for doing it right.

She is still a bit nippy but only when you mess around and she thinks you're a toy

Basically just lots of praise when they do something right, giving them treats etc.

Then if they do something wrong, tell them off, no treats, ignore them for a short while. If things get really bad a little slap on the nose (if their nose is big enough, and obviously not full on beating the dog up etc) usually does the trick.

Every dog will be different to train though, our Akita isn't the brightest spark but seems to have grasped what will get her treats and uses this to her advantage
MarkSport

19th Nov 10 at 00:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

we bought her treats but shes now not eating her own food. she likes our food which is odd. its quitee weird as she walks round on her back legs most the time.she will fall on all 4 then straight back up....swear she wants to be human. she will drink a cup of tea if its left on the side and eats my doritos aswell ( bitch )

we did hear that when she poo's in the house you are supposed to put their nose close to it? not sure how true it is though?
Ste M

19th Nov 10 at 00:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Part true. tbh, I wouldn't physcially shove their nose in it. After it's cleaned up, lay down salt/pepper or something and rub their nose in that. Because once it's shit in a spot, it usually shits again in the same place.
Norcy91

19th Nov 10 at 00:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dog's want to eat anything you eat, no matter what it is. Ours ate a whole box of After Eights last Christmas, including the wrappers
Best thing to do is to make sure she eats her own food and not yours so she doesn't get used to eating peoples food and is less likely to come begging for it.

Yeah i've heard something about that, when they wee or poo in the house, somehow its meant to make them not want to do it? No idea, probably best looking on Google for that. I know for sure it'd put me off doing it inside if i got my face shoved in my own shit
MarkSport

19th Nov 10 at 00:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ste M
Part true. tbh, I wouldn't physcially shove their nose in it. After it's cleaned up, lay down salt/pepper or something and rub their nose in that. Because once it's shit in a spot, it usually shits again in the same place.

cheers mate
DannyB
Premium Member

19th Nov 10 at 00:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it shits in the house you take it straight outside and leave it there for a while, sooner or later it will realise that it needs to go out to do its business, you never hit a dog or rub its nose in anything, that teaches them fuck all apart from to be scared of you.

All puppies go through a period of chewing/biting things. They grow out of it.
MarkSport

19th Nov 10 at 00:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers for that danny, I will try that. we did get one of those mats which are for peeing on. she done it for some time then went back to peeing on the landing. its bad!
Norcy91

19th Nov 10 at 00:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Atleast she's doing it in one place! We used to find random puddles all over the place, was an absolute nightmare.
Russ

19th Nov 10 at 07:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How Do you know it likes your food? It's a dog, it should never be given your food no matter how much it begs. Be dominant it wants a leader, not a friend. As for poos, if it's not shitting on your walks your not walking far enough, when it does shit, praise it. If a dog hasn't got a leader, it will think it's his job, ignore any advice that punishes the dog after the event, dogs don't learn that way, if you catch it pooing on the carpet, don't shout at it, it'll just think it's not supposed to get caught and be scared to do it infront of you. Ignore Chloe16v when she comes along, having lots of dogs you "love to bits" doesn't make you an expert and most importantly never ever feed it after midnight.
morpheus22

19th Nov 10 at 08:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this
Sam
Premium Member

19th Nov 10 at 08:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Russ
How Do you know it likes your food? It's a dog, it should never be given your food no matter how much it begs. Be dominant it wants a leader, not a friend. As for poos, if it's not shitting on your walks your not walking far enough, when it does shit, praise it. If a dog hasn't got a leader, it will think it's his job, ignore any advice that punishes the dog after the event, dogs don't learn that way, if you catch it pooing on the carpet, don't shout at it, it'll just think it's not supposed to get caught and be scared to do it infront of you. Ignore Chloe16v when she comes along, having lots of dogs you "love to bits" doesn't make you an expert and most importantly never ever feed it after midnight.

I agree with this 100%.

Show it that YOU are top dog, not them. Dogs do not understand human emotions, so giving the dog a cuddle and telling them you love them does not make do what you want them to do.

Nor is letting them eating your food, drinking your drink, sleeping with you in bed or lying down on your sofa etc. etc.
Sam
Premium Member

19th Nov 10 at 08:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

BTW - our two greyhounds have set meal times and they have their own duvet and cages to sleep in at night - this makes sure they have a routine they know of and stick to, and they don't piss/shit where they sleep at night.

Also, make sure you let the dog out to go for a piss/shit at least every hour then gradually bring that down to every two hours and so on, so that it knows it's not to do any mess inside your house.
John

19th Nov 10 at 08:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My dog gets treated like a kid, gets roam of the house and I let him away with anything, he's turned out not too bad.

The problem with Mark's was evident from the first thread he made about it, along the lines of, my sister has had X pets before and neglected them all, she now has a dog because she'll look after it.

As you can guess this was quickly followed by, my sister isn't looking after the dog, this is the only reason it's not trained yet, nothing to do with training methods.
Shell
Premium Member

19th Nov 10 at 08:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do NOT rub its nose in the poo. That's a stupid old wifes tale and the dog has absolutely no understanding of why you're doing it. By the time you find said poo, they probably don't even remember it was them. My dad got a bit obsessed and read some random dog psychology book to train his dog and as much as I laughed at him, I've never met a better trained dog. You can't expect an animal to understand human logic such as shouting obscenities!
John

19th Nov 10 at 08:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Although I agree with not rubbing it's nose in it, this whole thing about them not knowing what they've done is a lot of rubbish as far as I can see.

Mine seems to know fine well when he's done something wrong, no matter how many hours ago it was.
Demo

19th Nov 10 at 08:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its all about routine with a dog

get them into a routine with something and they learn from it

take her out for a long walk. when she does a wee/poo outside, praise her and give her a small treat. reward based training.

as for the biting all pups go through it and shes probably only trying to play. she wont realise how sharp her teeth are when biting you.

out of cutiosity how old was she when you brought her home?
John

19th Nov 10 at 08:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Weeks before it should have been.
J4M13

19th Nov 10 at 09:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its all about positive reinforcement(sp?) as some have mentioned in here.
Im currently training my Collie and found a guy called Zak George to be very helpful so far, search for him on youtube he has loads of tutorial videos. Some of the shit he has taught his own dogs to do is amazing.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Pet Day: How to train a dog? 22 database queries in 0.1291411 seconds