corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Cutting out the top of the suspension struts

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Cutting out the top of the suspension struts
Graham88

User status: Offline
31st Jan 11 at 19:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right basically, I can't get to the camber adjusters of my coilovers at the moment.

I'm wanting to get my suspension setup but instead of £120 + VAT they want £200 + VAT to take the suspension out and do it that way, rather than on the car?

They said it would weaken the struts by cutting it away. But I can't see how, it's just a small bit of metal and the strut brace is far thicker than what I'm cutting? I'd rather not cut it but I also don't want to pay £240 for a fast road setup

It's 78mm by my calculations, and I have a holesaw to do it, just don't want to fuck my car up lol.

This is the top of my strut:

Just wanted some opinions as I know there are a few suspension gurus on here.
John

31st Jan 11 at 19:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A chunk of suspension strut being cut off would put a lot of people of buying it in the future.
Graham88

31st Jan 11 at 19:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If they notice
lee303

31st Jan 11 at 19:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it may weaken it very slighty, because the original metal has a dip pressed in it, but we’re talking verily little amounts here, as the majority of the load will be going through the strut brace plate into the turret and the top mount doesn’t actually bear on the turret outside of that point anyway, go for it i say!

[Edited on 31-01-2011 by lee303]
Jambo

31st Jan 11 at 19:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
A chunk of suspension strut being cut off would put a lot of people of buying it in the future.
andyc1234

31st Jan 11 at 19:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

will you actually be able to get to the bolts with that cut out though? doesnt look like it
alan-g-w

31st Jan 11 at 19:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It doesn't either andyc
Kurt

31st Jan 11 at 19:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why the fuck did they supply coilovers with pillowball tops anyway knowing you couldn't adjust them

Could you not just fit camber bolts at the bottom instead?

[Edited on 31-01-2011 by Kurt]
lee303

31st Jan 11 at 19:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think you could, the strut top mounting surface seems to be the same diameter as the strut brace plate
SportBoy

31st Jan 11 at 19:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if it was mine id get them cut out, cant see no drama. other than as said unless some1 turns there nose up at it when you sell it.
derick-sport

31st Jan 11 at 20:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cut it out put rubber round the edge hey preso will look neater than factory and wont make much difference
Cole

31st Jan 11 at 20:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't be using a hole saw If it was me as it won't cut exactly where you want it to as there will be no pilot hole and it will just spin all over the place I would get small grinding tool on it might take longer but will look better
Graham88

31st Jan 11 at 21:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by andyc1234
will you actually be able to get to the bolts with that cut out though? doesnt look like it

Yeah you will be able too, certainly alot better than you can atm, bit of a stupid design!!
quote:
Originally posted by derick-sport
cut it out put rubber round the edge hey preso will look neater than factory and wont make much difference

Good plan...I'd have to paint the edges if I cut it anyway as otherwise it may rust, so this could make it look neat.
quote:
Originally posted by Cole
I wouldn't be using a hole saw If it was me as it won't cut exactly where you want it to as there will be no pilot hole and it will just spin all over the place I would get small grinding tool on it might take longer but will look better

I have thought that but my way of thinking is the hole I'd cut is around 78mm, to allow for being able to fit the tool in there, and then the strut brace should stop it moving around

Just in 2 minds about it tbh, don't want to cut it then the suspension company refuse to do it or something go wrong and the strut is fucked, but people do it on cars all the time especially drift cars etc, but loadsa people saying it's a bad idea on this
Brett
Premium Member

31st Jan 11 at 21:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All I can say is what I'd do and there's no way I'd be cutting up my new car
Corsa_Sport21

31st Jan 11 at 21:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right this may be a stupid question but how can it be set-up for the car,while its off the car??
Will they be doing it trial and error??

I say pay the extra,its a small price to pay for what could potentially be a big future risk.
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
31st Jan 11 at 21:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can't use a hole saw, there's no pilot hole.

Unless it's a tight fit inside the strut brace it'll just shake about and rag everything. If it is a tight fit it'll mark the strut brace.

You would be better removing the strut brace and bolting it a blank which is marked for the hole saw.

The only reason not to cut is strength. Resale value is largely unaffected. I've never checked anything like that when I've bought a car. If it's cut cleanly and treated properly you wouldn't even notice on inspection.
Steve
Premium Member

31st Jan 11 at 21:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i wouldnt tbh, noone here really knows what they are talking about enough to make a change like that imo
Steve
Premium Member

31st Jan 11 at 21:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im not saying dont do it, but id get more advice then people off here before doing that to a modern car like yours
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

31st Jan 11 at 21:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
You can't use a hole saw, there's no pilot hole.

Unless it's a tight fit inside the strut brace it'll just shake about and rag everything. If it is a tight fit it'll mark the strut brace.

You would be better removing the strut brace and bolting it a blank which is marked for the hole saw.

The only reason not to cut is strength. Resale value is largely unaffected. I've never checked anything like that when I've bought a car. If it's cut cleanly and treated properly you wouldn't even notice on inspection.

Get some wood and bolt that to the under side then you'll have something to pilot with
Kurt

31st Jan 11 at 21:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Or just adjust it from the bottom with camber bolts?
broster
Premium Member

31st Jan 11 at 21:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I cut my old corsa b top mounts out and we have cut the top mounts out on our focus rs which has bc coilovers, there is no harm in it!
Corsa_Sport21

31st Jan 11 at 21:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whats the deal with the BC coilovers??Are they a cheap budget set??
gazza808

31st Jan 11 at 21:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I used a hole saw on my mates corsa ones,
Used old top mount and a bush I turned at work to locate,
Came out extremely neat
LeeM

31st Jan 11 at 22:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

id cut it, only little bit i cant imagine it having much of a negative effect. esoecialy with a strut brace on
RCS

31st Jan 11 at 22:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I see no problem in doing that.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Cutting out the top of the suspension struts 22 database queries in 0.2965510 seconds