corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Air France Black Box Recovered..

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Air France Black Box Recovered..
Tiger

User status: Offline
1st May 11 at 22:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-13255673

Hopefully we'll find out what happened and maybe prevent it happening again.
C2RL R

1st May 11 at 22:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I reading about plane crashes. Must be fucking horrible. Like you said though, hopefully they can learn from it.
Tiesto

1st May 11 at 22:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have always wondered what happened with that flight, hopefully we'll find out now.

Must have been a fucking mission and a half to find the wreckage in the first place.
emicen

2nd May 11 at 07:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Known issue with pitot tubes freezing on that type and indeed specific aircraft iirc. There was a lot of discussion on the issue in my office at the time. Be very surprised if its something else.
Steve
Premium Member

2nd May 11 at 08:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

freezing pitot tubes alone wouldnt cause a crash, it would have been part of a series of events, eg flying in darkness with extreme turbulance with frozen pitot tubes sending wrong signals

both sides would need to freeze also

[Edited on 02-05-2011 by Steve]
Steve
Premium Member

2nd May 11 at 08:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

also for pitot to freeze at that altitude would need to be a massive system below to suck moisture up that far, again a contributary factor
ed

2nd May 11 at 08:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pitot tubes are heated to prevent freezing.
Steve
Premium Member

2nd May 11 at 08:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

indeed however these aircraft were known to suffer the issue, a lot was based on the assumption that moisture isnt present that high up to cause them to freeze
ed

2nd May 11 at 08:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Weren't they flying through the middle of a storm though? You get cirrus at that level and the tops of impressive CBs can be that high too, though there would be bigger problems if you flew through a CB that big.
Jambo

2nd May 11 at 08:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I saw a air crash investigation where the tubes where blocked due to some form of bug forming a nest in there. But as Steve said that alone wouldn't cause it to crash, just the catalyst in a series of events.
Steve
Premium Member

2nd May 11 at 08:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah CB was allegedly part of the problem
emicen

2nd May 11 at 09:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
indeed however these aircraft were known to suffer the issue, a lot was based on the assumption that moisture isnt present that high up to cause them to freeze

There's 2 models of pitot available on that a/c and the air france plane was fitted with the one more prone to freezing. Reports of them doing so were logged and, iirc, the ones on this specific a/c were scheduled to be swapped out but not until its next C check.

I agree, the pitots freezing will not cause a crash, the incorrect data from them will. In this case the debate was largely whether the pilot had seen ever decreasing airspeed readings and nosed down to a point where the airspeed caused a breakup or had seen ever increasing airspeeds and had nosed up and throttled back to the point of stall. The flight computers shouldn't allow either but they too were getting guff input from the pitots.

[Edited on 02-05-2011 by emicen]
Steve
Premium Member

2nd May 11 at 09:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i can pretty much guarantee you that unless the pilots had about 1 hour flying experience, freezing pitots (incorrect data) alone would not cause a crash.

there are other sources of airspeed, eg gps also.

there WILL have been some form of other contributary factor to cause this crash

[Edited on 02-05-2011 by Steve]
emicen

2nd May 11 at 09:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Again, this is iirc, the pilot and 1st officer were both fairly inexperienced although type approved for that aircraft and they were in a thunderstorm which may well have caused problems with the GPS.

Actually, on topic rather than playing aircrash investigator for second, I'm amazed they actually found the box after this amount of time.

Hopefully it provides the answers, its a fascinating case. I remember hearing some of the sonar scans suggested the plane had hit the water going the wrong way, as if they'd turned around.
ed

2nd May 11 at 11:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The gyros would have told them the attitude of the aircraft though. I'd expect it to be some form of massive system failure in IMC which lead to spatial disorientation and eventual loss of control. I'd be pissed off if I lost a family member, crew or an aircraft due to a pitot failure causing loss of control. That sort of thing would have been simulated and the crew would have trained for it, even if it was a might my shitty situation.
Ojc

2nd May 11 at 11:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Read about Lockerbie and how that as the plane broke up and people were alive falling to their death, imagine that
Jambo

2nd May 11 at 11:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There was one on Discovery a while back where this plane in Brazil broke up over the amazon. 234/235 or something died. One woman woke up still strapped in her seat in thecanopy of the amazon. She had to trek for 11days avoiding all the dangers of the indigenous species like piranhas etc.

Finally stumbled upon a settlement and is stil alive today.
Ojc

2nd May 11 at 11:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That is just awesome and tragic all at once, imagine if she was the only survivor of a large family
3CorsaMeal

2nd May 11 at 11:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

have they found the little green bag yet?

was looking back on the track for it last i heard
Jambo

2nd May 11 at 11:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
That is just awesome and tragic all at once, imagine if she was the only survivor of a large family

She was sat next to her mum talking, that was her last memory then blackness with wind whistling past her ears Then she woke up in the trees

If I survived that like fuck I would make it through the amazon her legs where cut from lacerations from trees etc. So she couldn't go into the water as the Pirahnas would bite her ankles like a hungry Gary coleman
Steve
Premium Member

2nd May 11 at 11:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i would deffo have found tarzan
Hammer

2nd May 11 at 11:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
The gyros would have told them the attitude of the aircraft though.

Stinking imo.
Jambo

2nd May 11 at 12:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
i would deffo have found tarzan

Sod Tarzan, I'd be looking for Jane m8
sc0ott

2nd May 11 at 12:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

People over exaggerate when it comes to pirhanas. If you were walking through a river or such they would more likely be scared off.
Different story if you were sitting at the side with your feet in the water for a while though.
Jambo

2nd May 11 at 13:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Maybe, but she was bleeding. I doubt they would be scared of their lunch.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Air France Black Box Recovered.. 22 database queries in 0.0152731 seconds