corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Organising your music

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Organising your music
pow
Premium Member

User status: Offline
4th May 11 at 21:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Righty ho chaps. I seem to have CD's scattered EVERYWHERE, as well as various MP3's on various external hard drives that I want to put all together.

I'd quite like to not house these on my laptop (which is my one and only machine) as I mainly have a lot of work stuff on here so I was thinking about getting a NAS device which I can house at home or at work, plus it could double up as a backup device to replace my USB HDD.

My ideal setup would be all my music on a NAS, then I could get a iPod or something similar to use in all the cars etc.

BUT

I don't want to use itunes. That peice of wanky fucking useless software can foxtrot oscar. So what are you all using?

Thanks
AndyKent

4th May 11 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Interested in this. Want to have somewhere central for all my music and films which can be hard wired to my TV via USB but also on the network for my laptop and iPad to access.
John

4th May 11 at 21:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I spent ages using mp3tag and mp3 folder structure maker to tag them all properly and then put them into artist then album folders.

Never found anything that would do it automatically and quickly.

Accurate tags is the first step.
pow
Premium Member

4th May 11 at 21:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Feedback from anyone using Media Monkey would be good...
Andrew

4th May 11 at 21:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm with John on this one but don't follow his rules as i am lazy.

I use iTunes so i can sync with my iPhone and iPad. I can then play my tunes in bed using either device and through the Hands Free Kit i have in my van.

I have an SBS 2008 box that i store all my tunes on. I also have a local copy Sync with my laptop so when i'm away from my apartment i still have all my music on the laptop.
pow
Premium Member

4th May 11 at 21:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

iTunes is not going anywhere near any computer that I own.

Bonjour service?
Root

4th May 11 at 22:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow

Bonjour service?

good choice, iTunes is shite. Just use folders or something..=/
Dom

4th May 11 at 22:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did something similar to John, MP3Tag'd the lot and sorted directories to how i wanted. Use Winamp for music library and iPod syncing.
John

4th May 11 at 22:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its the only reliable way I found to do it.
It was actually to get album art on my iPhone that started me. I let iTunes loose on my collection when it first came out, ended up having to delete everything.
Carl

4th May 11 at 22:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have an external hd and I have mine hooked up to Itunes too, if you find something else that does the job well let me know!
Dom

4th May 11 at 22:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Problem i had with iTunes was that it deciding to tag (inc art work) tracks incorrectly and then stick them wrong directories. Swiftly got uninstalled it, went back to Winamp and i ended up sorting my music a while later (took me a good week to get everything how i wanted; ~300/400GB of music at the time).
Carl

4th May 11 at 22:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I daren't mess with mine after getting it all sorted, probably only reason why i've stuck with itunes. From experience with my it skills it is way to easy for me to cause havoc when trying to move anything etc!
Russ

5th May 11 at 05:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As Dom said, winamp. Or buy an osx machine, iTunes is fine on that
Sam
Premium Member

5th May 11 at 08:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You could just build a really cheap basic PC, install Ubuntu on it and store all your shit on there.

You can also use iTunes as long as you don't tell it to organise your music for you.

I have my music stored in folders named after each artist and each MP3 has proper tag and album artwork associated.

I can then either play my music using my iPhone, iPod or directly using Windows Media Player or WinAmp etc.

My server box is only an Athlon 1600+ with 1GB RAM and a mirrored RAID array with a couple of SATA hard drives.

You could even get something small like a Compaq iPaq or Dell SX270 if you didn't want to build a PC, these are also virtually silent as they run off an AC adapter rather than a built-in PSU like normal desktops.
Russ

5th May 11 at 08:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

itunes stores and organises all my music, every file has the correct artist/album/genre info. i don't own any individual songs, just whole albums
John

5th May 11 at 08:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What about compilation albums?
pow
Premium Member

5th May 11 at 08:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^^^ which is my problem=
Sam
Premium Member

5th May 11 at 08:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As long as your tags are correct, it doesn't matter where the MP3 is physically located, the software you use to organise your MP3s (i.e. iTunes, WMP, WinAmp, etc.) will be able to sort it out automatically for you.
Jambo

5th May 11 at 09:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
What about compilation albums?

Edit the info manually.
Jambo

5th May 11 at 09:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

iTunes runs fine on my machine which is 4yrs old!!

iTunes + Pc with speakers/sub + Bt keyboard with music controls + iPhone + Apple Remote =
Robbo

5th May 11 at 09:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Russ
itunes stores and organises all my music, every file has the correct artist/album/genre info. i don't own any individual songs, just whole albums
same, my itunes organises everyhtign perfectly, always has done andi have 60GB of music including 20 odd MoS compilations (although i personally organised those my own way as i preferred it that way)
Dom

5th May 11 at 10:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Another gripe is the lack of FLAC support in iTunes, which is another reason why i don't use it as over half of my music is FLAC based (obviously i could convert it all to ALAC but my music is used on other devices that don't have ALAC support).
Andrew

5th May 11 at 10:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
iTunes runs fine on my machine which is 4yrs old!!

iTunes + Pc with speakers/sub + Bt keyboard with music controls + iPhone + Apple Remote =

I have an Apple remote i used for playing video though the Mac Mini. Going to have to conenct to my laptop now
Andrew

5th May 11 at 10:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow

Bonjour service?

iTunes is shit, i agree. But it's better than anything else i have used. Winamp just seems old school these days and VLC Player is too basic.

Intrested on people views on different products here. What is Windows Media Player like these days, used that for a while.
adiohead

5th May 11 at 10:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Windows Media Player is my favourite but had to use iTunes recently for my iPhone.

It's not too bad.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll