corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Rear wheel bearings

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Rear wheel bearings
Steve
Premium Member

User status: Offline
4th Jun 11 at 12:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

People who went to Germany and going to love this post

Dont even really know why im making a post because iv already ordered some stuff to fix it i think i just want to talk about it really lol

Went to germany as you probably know, got there, jacked my car up to do something and noticed there was play in rear wheel, could rock it slightly, wheel bearing i thought, had a spare on me and replaced it and all ok no more movement, did the other side and noticed movement there aswell, both wheels would turn freely and there was no bearing noise in motion, nor were there any real wear to the cones or roller bearings, or heat marks on the races, id add that the hub nuts were done up tight, and retorqued them to 235nm just to make sure

Went to a spares shop in Adenau and got another rear wheel bearing, replaced, and all good again.

about 1000 miles later, there is now play again in one side, do you think its because iv been using 3rd party bearing kits? or something to do with my axles spacers? or maybe my drums are knackered?

Iv ordered some new drums and genuine bearing kits, so hopefully that should fix will be interested to hear anyones thoughts though
smcGSI16V

4th Jun 11 at 14:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This thread angers me.

Steve
Premium Member

4th Jun 11 at 14:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

iv been doing a bit of reading and i think it may be my axle spacers thats doing it, it was the inner bearing that had play, and extending the wheel out from the suspension point will put additional stress on the inner bearing race

the question is, will gen parts be strong enough to take this additional pressure

hmm
Ben G

4th Jun 11 at 14:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

axle spacers imo, mine are fine and i've done 17k miles since i got the car.
smcGSI16V

4th Jun 11 at 14:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think you worry to much Steve.
Steve
Premium Member

4th Jun 11 at 14:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

unfortaunately stu, worry doesnt make my wheel wobble
smcGSI16V

4th Jun 11 at 14:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wheel wobble worry.

try saying that quickly.
Corsa_Sport21

4th Jun 11 at 14:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What did they do on the FRP to resolve the problem if its the axle spacers that are the causing the problem??
smcGSI16V

4th Jun 11 at 14:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think it could be the spacers you know.

I remember back in the day when I had Nova's they always said that if you had the wrong off set of wheel the bearings would wear quicker.

Its a similar thing offset and spacers.
smcGSI16V

4th Jun 11 at 14:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Corsa_Sport21
What did they do on the FRP to resolve the problem if its the axle spacers that are the causing the problem??

Steve will correct me if im wrong but iirc they fudged the lower arms and extended them to get the extra width/track rather than spacers.
Steve
Premium Member

4th Jun 11 at 14:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah your right stu,

think im going to take off all the wheel spacers etc, only problem is my mondeo rims are the wrong offset without spacers etc they sit too far in and look silly, so i might try and get some new wheels for it, return everything stock, back to correct offset and 15"s

wouldnt mind something lightweight what do people think too

willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

4th Jun 11 at 14:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

spacers mate.
Corsa_Sport21

4th Jun 11 at 14:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So what are your spacers off steve??

I thought they fitted the spacers to the rear of the FRP to give the extra width??
Steve
Premium Member

4th Jun 11 at 14:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah they did, but they incorporate rear discs which have a different bearing setup
Steve
Premium Member

4th Jun 11 at 14:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what you reckon?
Corsa_Sport21

4th Jun 11 at 14:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hmm not buying that tbh.

The spacers are still between the axle and hub,so surely regardless of the difference,the bearing will still be wearing down.

Whats the difference between the 2 bearings??
Ben G

4th Jun 11 at 14:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

are your mondeo wheels et 40? will handle shit. mine are et41 and handled awful before the 5mm spacers were on.
Steve
Premium Member

4th Jun 11 at 14:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

because you are pushing the hub and wheel away from the point of suspension you are increasing the load on the inner race, basically the opposite effect of spacing your wheels with normal spacers which increases load on the outer race

my setup uses two cone bearings which sit in the races and are held in by the whole lot done up tight, the discs use a bearing similar to what you get on the front of cars

looks similar to this

and is pressed into the hub, its a much more durable design, my currect ones are a bit of a shit design tbh and renowned for going quite often even with everything stock, they should be lasting a good year or two though not 1000miles lol
Ben G

4th Jun 11 at 14:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

also, speedline turini's are the absolute bollocks.
Steve
Premium Member

4th Jun 11 at 14:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
are your mondeo wheels et 40? will handle shit. mine are et41 and handled awful before the 5mm spacers were on.

yeah hence why everything is spaced out, it handles well at the mo, due to the spacing, but if i remove all that you are right it will handle crap hence me getting new wheels
Steve
Premium Member

4th Jun 11 at 14:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

or

I fancy a flatish spoke though, also may have to be silver
lee303

4th Jun 11 at 15:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

more likely the stub axles are just worn tbh, or the hub carrier/drum itself, happens a lot on novas, do they look worn? can you measure them? i very much doubt the wheel bearings are that close to their tolerance that a little extra pressure from the spacing of the wheel wears them out that quick

[Edited on 04-06-2011 by lee303]

[Edited on 04-06-2011 by lee303]
Steve
Premium Member

4th Jun 11 at 15:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i cant personally measure them, might be able to get someone to, stub axles look ok though and the bearing slides over snuggly doesnt seem like an issue

could be a drum problem but im getting new ones anyway

i guess il just replace everything and it if still happens even with new drums, bearings and wheels, i guess i will have to try stub axles lol
lee303

4th Jun 11 at 15:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i bet stub axles aren’t that expensive either, even a vernier caliper should be enough to show wear, they could have worn oval and are fucking the bearings because of this
Steve
Premium Member

4th Jun 11 at 15:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so you think measure at four opposite sides and see if there is any variation?

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Rear wheel bearings 22 database queries in 0.0143919 seconds