corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Clio 182 or EP3 CTR?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Clio 182 or EP3 CTR?
Scotty C

User status: Offline
19th Jun 11 at 14:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pros and cons?

Had a few in the hat, boiled down to these two now, and I just can't decide. EP3 for reliability, but I think the Clio just wins on looks, in the colour I'd want which is blue with anthracite wheels. But I am worried about it being French tbh

Opinions? Ta
Eck
Premium Member

19th Jun 11 at 14:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sco0tt has owned both so should give a decent opinion. I'd say CTR because I'm vtec biased
sc0ott

19th Jun 11 at 15:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Imo of course.

Ep3 - has the better engine, has more space and depending on which type you go for possibly better interior, but other than that it has nothing else that would make it better than the 182.

182 - Cheaper, Dont see as much ont he roads, better spec'd, more controls inside in terms of mpg/trip computer, a fucking clock, aircon etc, fuckall space inside both the car and under the bonnet so its a lot smaller than the ep3 which i prefered. If youre tall then dont expect anyone to sit in the back behind you.
Much better handling due to the size. It feels like a go kart around the twisty roads compared to the civic.
Id say it was much better on fuel as well.

Both in standard form are about as good looking as each other but with the right mods both can look 10x better.
corsadonk
Premium Member

19th Jun 11 at 16:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I used to have a chipped 172 cup, and the CTR always had the slight edge on the straights.

I'd go for the Civic less likely to break.
Jambo

19th Jun 11 at 16:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Clio supposed to have better chassis. It's a small city car with limited practicality.

Civic will be better built and far more soacious/comfy and more practical but looks like a bread van.
jacko198

19th Jun 11 at 17:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a 182, might be selling it for something abit more economical.

I do love it though, it will do about 32mpg around town, 40 on motorway.

Aircon, climate control, cruise control, half leather etc. Pretty quick too and easy to work on.

I have had to do a few things to it such as the aux belt. I have also had to replace rear wheel bearings and had a slight problem with the brakes (a blocked valve)

But i think if you find the right one, you will be fine!

I went for the clio because it was different to the civic, as said, you dont see many around which to me is good!
LukeD

19th Jun 11 at 17:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All this stuff about french being unrelaible tschh. My 172 cup as so far *touchwood* been the most reliable car ive owned. Aslong as it has cambelt/aux history and in good nick your be allreet.
AndyCorsaSport

19th Jun 11 at 17:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LukeD
All this stuff about french being unrelaible tschh. My 172 cup as so far *touchwood* been the most reliable car ive owned. Aslong as it has cambelt/aux history and in good nick your be allreet.

This. The "French" bad name is bull shit. My 182 was fine for the 7 months i had it, and my 106 is fine, had it 6 month.

Never driven a Type R for a long distance, but have driven a few round car parks, and seem nice to drive.
L13DOP

19th Jun 11 at 17:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've owned a ep3 and their amazing! Highly recommend one! Don't waste your money on a French cereal box! Plus the noise outta the ep3 u can't beat!
Jambo

19th Jun 11 at 17:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cereal box

I too will play down the French hatred. Mine broke down once because the previous owner decided he was going to play auto electrician with the O2 sensors. Other than that it was spot on.
Eck
Premium Member

19th Jun 11 at 17:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll join the crusade for the Frenchies. My VTR and XSi were easily more reliable than the Corsa's I've owned
Scotty C

19th Jun 11 at 17:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can't decide for shit. Whichever choice I make it'll be the wrong one

Facelift on the ep3 is 05 plate onwards right?
sc0ott

19th Jun 11 at 17:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Jambo

19th Jun 11 at 17:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive never driven a CTR but i would imagine if its going to be your only car and do the odd long journey would be the best bet.

For thrills i say the Clio though
Corsa_Sport21

19th Jun 11 at 17:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Scotts is an 04 facelift.

After being in both his,the Clio felt faster,and against a CTR,it seemed to be faster too.
Toby
Premium Member

19th Jun 11 at 17:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The only thing that let the French cars down are there interiors imo. They may look slightly modern and quirky but they feel really cheap ancillary I'm not keen on the seats either
Jambo

19th Jun 11 at 18:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The interior in the Clio is certainly cheap. But thats all it is. Well put together as in mine never rattled (Corsa was 500 times worse) But it looks poo and it very nasty feeling.

Recaros improve the Clio 1000% lower driving position, hold you in better and the standard seats gave me a bad back
sc0ott

19th Jun 11 at 18:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ep3 interior is shit and basic as well. You dont even get a clock unless you turn the radio off its that shit.
Only decent one is the anniversary or the jdm because of the better seats and red carpets.

182 has a nice digital temp controller, sun visors with lights on the mirrors, controls on the back of the steering wheel.
Jambo

19th Jun 11 at 18:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Eck
Premium Member

19th Jun 11 at 18:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Corsa_Sport21
Scotts is an 04 facelift.

After being in both his,the Clio felt faster,and against a CTR,it seemed to be faster too.

That's a surprise. I couldn't gain on a CTR for love nor money when I had the B16a1, but I easily went past a 182 Cup and I was two up! If the cup is the twin exhaust one anyway
Jambo

19th Jun 11 at 18:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

182 has twin exhausts. Look visually no different other than lack of xenons and the tiny cup badge on the door
AndyCorsaSport

19th Jun 11 at 18:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My old 182

Eck
Premium Member

19th Jun 11 at 18:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The guy had those seats you had too, which looked ace
taylorboosh

19th Jun 11 at 18:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Clios are not as fast as ctrs fact. The build quality and general overall car feel is miles better on a ctr too. I suspect the clio will lose more money too. Ohhh and vtec is great fun
Corsa_Sport21

19th Jun 11 at 18:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Scotts old Clio must not have been standard then.Well,it had a backbox but i very much doubt that would have made much of a difference.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Clio 182 or EP3 CTR? 22 database queries in 0.0157771 seconds