corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Student Loan Repayments

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Student Loan Repayments
James

User status: Offline
20th Jul 11 at 16:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are these taken out before or after tax?

Say for arguments sake my repayments are £450 a month and I pay 40% tax. Once it's paid off in full, will I see an additional £450 a month in my take home or will I only see 60% of £450?

I have done a bit of Googling but couldn't find anything definitive.

I'm sure it must be after tax, so I would see a full £450 a month once it's paid off.

[Edited on 20-07-2011 by James]
Ian
Site Administrator

20th Jul 11 at 16:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine were indicated in the stoppages next to the tax but I'm not sure whether the tax was adjusted later. I'm inclined to say they're subject to tax, can't think of any reason why they should come out tax free.
James

20th Jul 11 at 16:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think they must be subject to tax as well. It's just like any other loan apart from the fact they come out automatically via PAYE with your employer.
James

20th Jul 11 at 16:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just done an experiment on ListenToTaxman and it does come out after tax so I would see the full amount once it's paid off.
Ian
Site Administrator

20th Jul 11 at 17:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you have an end date for the contributions to stop?

My employer carried on paying them, they ended up owing me £800
sc0ott

20th Jul 11 at 17:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got my student loan letter through today. Think its only about 40 quid a month which comes off as soon as im waged every month.
RichR
Premium Member

20th Jul 11 at 17:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Do you have an end date for the contributions to stop?

My employer carried on paying them, they ended up owing me £800

This is to do with PAYE though isn't it. It doesn't update until the end of the tax year; you do get the over payment back
Ian
Site Administrator

20th Jul 11 at 17:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got it back, but that's little consolation, I'm not in the business of lending SLC money while it costs me money to do it.
RichR
Premium Member

20th Jul 11 at 17:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it doesn't get paid to SLC until year end though hence the confusion - its the same with your tax, AFAIK, your tax contributions aren't paid monthly, they're paid as a lump sump at year end when You're paid PAYE.
Ian
Site Administrator

20th Jul 11 at 17:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know how it's supposed to work, I just don't like lending people money, particularly when they're getting it at zero interest!
RichR
Premium Member

20th Jul 11 at 17:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I agree with your sentiment, but it isn't SLC who are gaining. Who holds the tax/SLC payments until year end - Is it HMRC, PAYE or the employers?
Ian
Site Administrator

20th Jul 11 at 17:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah might not be SLC, someone is doing alright though, few hundred quid off every student in the country for a few months.
RichR
Premium Member

20th Jul 11 at 17:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got a spreadsheet for mine so I know as and when I should finish paying, my idea is to pay off a lump sum in the penultimate year so at the end of the PAYE year, I pay it off in the final month - hopefully, if the maths is right, its should mean I don't have any over payments and don't get stung for interest etc
RichR
Premium Member

20th Jul 11 at 17:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

at £450 a month SLC payments, Are you earning say £75,000 P.A.?
James

20th Jul 11 at 20:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE
at £450 a month SLC payments, Are you earning say £75,000 P.A.?

That number was just for arguments sake. Good detective work though
tom_simes
Show Staff
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

20th Jul 11 at 22:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep, student loan is definitely after tax - the only thing that comes out pre-tax is my pension contributions.
Andrew

20th Jul 11 at 22:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£450 a month, you must be on a lot of money to pay that much back and have your own place. Or, are you just trying to make yourself look good?

I pay £37 a month before overtime which at the moment is around £50 a month. I got a statement throught the other day and i'm not even covering the intrest at the moment. Looks like i will be paying this student loan back for the rest of my working years.

I'm almost certain in the original paper work it states the loan comes out before tax.

If it bothers you so much, why not ask you Accounts department?
sc0ott

21st Jul 11 at 05:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Didnt you read the comment 2 posts above yours?

Im also certain the slc girl took my before tax wage to work out how much they will roughly take.
James

21st Jul 11 at 08:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Andrew
£450 a month, you must be on a lot of money to pay that much back and have your own place. Or, are you just trying to make yourself look good?

The number was hypothetical FFS. I didn't realise the CS salary police would be all over this.

And as for asking my accounts department, in a company this size I probably wouldn't get a response for a week. I thought it would be easier to ask CS. In fact the easiest option was to put it through a tax calculator with and without student loan but I didn't think of that before I posted.

[Edited on 21-07-2011 by James]
RichR
Premium Member

21st Jul 11 at 08:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wasn't being Salary Police, I was being Jealous
James

21st Jul 11 at 09:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wasn't really aimed at you. I just find it funny how every time you post something that has an outside chance of relating to how much you earn, you are accused of showing off.

If I bought a nice car I'd be reluctant to post it on here in case I was accused of showing off, despite this being a car forum.
Andrew

21st Jul 11 at 09:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What is wrong with waiting a week for response? Either way you have to pay the student loan...
RichR
Premium Member

21st Jul 11 at 09:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by James
Wasn't really aimed at you. I just find it funny how every time you post something that has an outside chance of relating to how much you earn, you are accused of showing off.

If I bought a nice car I'd be reluctant to post it on here in case I was accused of showing off, despite this being a car forum.

I want a nice car
whitter45

21st Jul 11 at 10:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as you state its after tax- Its a good feelign when its paid off

At £40 a week I would suggest you just about clearing interest depending on the size of the loan so it will take forever to pay it off

amI right in assuming that its written off after 25 yeards
Brett
Premium Member

21st Jul 11 at 10:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by James

That's CS for you. TI said it best..
quote:
The hootin' and the hollerin', back and forth with the arguing,
Where you from, who you know, what you make and what kind of car you in.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll