corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Compomotive Motorsport Wheels

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Compomotive Motorsport Wheels
xa0s
Banned

User status: Offline
9th Aug 11 at 15:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bought my Mo 6's brand new from Compomotive direct about a month and a half ago. I wasn't completely happy with the paint finish but I'm no detailer and really didn't mind too much despite several people saying the finish is shocking for wheels that cost just shy of £1,000.

I took them out for the first time and came back to find out that both my front centre caps were gone. I didn't exactly push it to the extreme so was pretty annoyed.

I then went on track and the rears came off despite me packing them out to make it a tighter fit.

I phoned them up and told them the same story, but the second I mentioned a track they said that they're not designed for any kind of racing and they can't do anything about it. All removal parts should be removed and I should have been told by the marshals. I don't remember anyone else removing their centre caps but whatever. He said that it's very, very uncommon for this to happen and it's the first they've heard of it in months.

Silly thing to say because my mate bought Mo 5's at the same time and has lost 6 so far. He phoned in yesterday and as a good will gesture they replaced them all. I told him about this and of course he started back tracking, told me to hold on whilst he spoke to his colleague... Agreed that they did send out 4 new caps BUT he hadn't been on a track so it's OK. I explained that I only lost 2 on a track but why does it matter when we've already established that they come out even on the road as my mate drives like a pansy and wouldn't ever go on a track...

Still not happening, basically told me I should have lied and they would have given me some free caps. Pretty poor show when we ordered the wheels together spending near enough £2,000 and they favour one buyer over the other in the exact same circumstance. Bad show IMO.

They're £25 for a set of 4 but he's already lost 6 and I've lost 4, that's starting to add up to quite a bit of money and that's within a month and a bit.

Not only that but my wheels chip SO easily despite giving them like 5 coats of sealant. One of my wheels is so badly chipped up that I'm considering a refurb, pretty gutting when I went for new wheels because I wanted them immaculate and so on.

Really not that chuffed with Compomotive.
Brett
Premium Member

9th Aug 11 at 15:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You drive like a douche, not a lot more to it tbh.
antnee

9th Aug 11 at 15:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I asked my friend about the centre caps on his MO5's. Had the wheels for at least 3 years and not lost one cap. He actually bought some new ones when they released some new ones a year ago
Graham88

9th Aug 11 at 15:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The set I bought new but luckily not from Compomotive weren't great either. Paint on the rear wheel got chipped up easily, I lost 2 centre caps almost straight away.

This set I bought now even had a cap missing when I bought them as the guy said one came off.

It shouldn't matter how the car gets used I don't see how doing a trackday means they are more likely to come out :S they are moving all the time no matter whether you are on the road or track. Trading standards?
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

9th Aug 11 at 15:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You should have got in touch about the finish when they arrived. My Comps have seen 4 years road use and the latter 2 years of that they had track use too. Never lost a centre cap, the only damage was from kerbs. Mine were still immaculate after about 2 years, not a single chip. End of the day, they're mass produced and you're gonna get the odd bad set so you should've reported it as there's little they're likely to do now that they're in need of a refurb.
Steve
Premium Member

9th Aug 11 at 15:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i would ask them why they sell them as motorsport wheels if they arent designed for motorsport, false advertising
CarbonMike

9th Aug 11 at 15:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
i would ask them why they sell them as motorsport wheels if they arent designed for motorsport, false advertising

Because when building a rally car and/or supplying a spares package, you do NOT bother with centre caps.
Graham88

9th Aug 11 at 15:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah but they said they're wheels aren't designed for racing, wtf?
CarbonMike

9th Aug 11 at 15:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Graham88
Yeah but they said they're wheels aren't designed for racing, wtf?

Theres different types of the same rim you know! Group A, Gravel & generic road spec.

I used to have some Gravel type Comp TH's, they were virtually bomb proof, heavy front end landings at 90mph+ & they didnt even flat spot or buckle. Most rims wouldve cracked in half.
marklawton

9th Aug 11 at 15:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sounds like a new batch arnt up to standards. get in touch again and say your going to trading standards.
xa0s
Banned

9th Aug 11 at 16:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not bitching about the paint when I received it, I wasn't 100% happy but happy enough to keep them... But they've now chipped a lot more than any other wheel I've ever owned.

Between me and my mate we've lost 10 so far, I drive quicker than normal and he drives like a fanny... Still shouldn't matter how I drive.

They said not for track use as the wheel gets so hot that the plastic weakens and falls out.
Akeemking

9th Aug 11 at 16:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did not have probs with paint on my MO6...
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3432/5841389999_6756c64d50_b.jpg
but I did had them repainted because of transport damage.

Use the caps for a year now and never lost one...

Is it possible
someone steals them from you all?
sri boy

9th Aug 11 at 19:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

had 2 sets never lost caps and had them on my corsa turbo and used them a lot on my private track
Robin
Premium Member

9th Aug 11 at 19:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had the same with mine, the paint discoloured under the top coat, looked like burnt on brake dust but it was below the surface. I lost a set of caps too, decided not to bother running them in the end.

Spoke to compomotive about it years ago too, when I was dealing with them regularly. They didn't care then either.
Robin
Premium Member

9th Aug 11 at 20:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've owned 3 sets actually, and 3 randoms, so out of 15 wheels, I've had shit paint and lost centre caps on them all.

Still a great wheel though, strong and tough!
richc

9th Aug 11 at 20:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robin
I've owned 3 sets actually, and 3 randoms, so out of 15 wheels, I've had shit paint and lost centre caps on them all.

You drive like a douche, not a lot more to it tbh.
Robin
Premium Member

9th Aug 11 at 20:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, true.
Akeemking

9th Aug 11 at 20:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robin

However, three MO6 (old style)
have cracked under normal road use on my Focus.

Phi

9th Aug 11 at 20:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

never had any problems with my old or new Mo's .... untill the curb jumped out at me and buckled two of them......

Phi

9th Aug 11 at 20:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

actually on the older set i had, the top coat did have some 'pealing' but hardly noticeble , i was probably the 5th owner of them tbh.... years or wear and tear
pow
Premium Member

9th Aug 11 at 21:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Phi you anihalated yours
3CorsaMeal

9th Aug 11 at 21:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

are they like any other caps, could you measure the hole and find some other ones that fit better and stay in, or are they some fancy type of cap?

[Edited on 09-08-2011 by 3CorsaMeal]
Ian
Site Administrator

9th Aug 11 at 21:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Finish on mine isn't great but I don't care too much and don't run centre caps. Probably wouldn't have gone for that brand for a road car.

Are the centre caps just a friction fit?
3CorsaMeal

9th Aug 11 at 21:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'd fill the hole with silver blu-tac, think Joff can get hold of this
Rich H

9th Aug 11 at 22:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sealant won't stop stone chips or even prevent them

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Compomotive Motorsport Wheels 22 database queries in 0.0165758 seconds