corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » RANKIN - my internship

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author RANKIN - my internship
will_ainsworth

User status: Offline
18th Aug 11 at 23:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well tomorrow is the last day of my placement.....

started of with a shock. huge amount of work, was a four day placement, 7am - 6 pm the first two days as it was location based shoots. then the next two days were in the studio. 8am till 11pm. long days very hard work, setting up, breakfast, dinner, etc making sure everyone has drinks, cleaning the kit rooms, assisting the shoot, lighting and the lot etc anyway i worked my fucking ass off, and got asked to come back again for the next week.

anyway rankin is quite quiet, and i didnt want to intrude so i kept my self to myself and just made sure i got along with the crew (great bunch) and made sure people would notice i work hard. He isnt atall chatty with many people he just gets on with it etc.

anyway to cut the story short, people started noticing how much work and effort i was putting in, and were all impressed, and even rankin noticed, a few days ago he pulled me to the side (baring in mind some havent even had a convo with him and been there 2 months), asked how i was finding it, and that he was impressed, baring in mind, the process starts with a few days assisting, then moving to a few weeks, then moving to 3 month internship then 3 month paid trial then a job as a studio assistant. all in all a good half a year to get any kind of job, after 6 days, he pulls me to the side, and offers me a full time paid job. couldn't believe it. great stuff, however i am still in uni, his words were ''take a year out, im here and i want you working for me'' which was amazing to hear from the guy i look up to in the photography world. people were really surprised i got offered a job, and even more so when i graciously turned it down. however we agreed on me coming in on the days im not in uni, and i offered to do this for free just to show i am dedicated, i may be crazy but i still want to get my degree under my belt, ill learn so much more here however its something i started and i dont want it to be a regret in the future.

so all in all, a massive step up for me. im in the mix of shoots for massive campaigns with a photographer i love who gets 50k per day for his shoots and i get to walk around looking at amazing models and their luscious naked bodies! I am currently living the dream.

oh some pics but cant obviously show any detail etc as its all under wrap...

http://360.io/KZ4VJV

[Edited on 18-08-2011 by Ian]
Adam_B

18th Aug 11 at 23:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would have been on the phone to uni quitting within seconds of that conversation ending
tom130691
Premium Member

18th Aug 11 at 23:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

work a year then finish uni while working part time tbh
taylorboosh

19th Aug 11 at 06:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no - do what your doing, work weekends ect and free days for him then take the job upon leaving uni
spencer88

19th Aug 11 at 07:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I want that bird.
John

19th Aug 11 at 07:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did he sell his car to buy his camera, if not he's not a real photographer imo.
Seany

19th Aug 11 at 07:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would have took the job tbf. Could you not finish your course at a later date? / spare time etc?
_Allan_

19th Aug 11 at 08:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fool, take the job. Even if your Uni course is in line with your furture job choice, photography etc... I know what would look better on paper, 1st, 2.1 in Uni etc... and be another 'graduate' or working alongside a top photographer for however long and putting it on your CV.
Russ

19th Aug 11 at 08:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Has Rankin ever sold a car to pay for a lens, if not, he's below you, tell him to stuff his job
adiohead

19th Aug 11 at 11:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by _Allan_
Fool, take the job.

What is the degree? Photography? Probably one of the most useless degrees out there.

ps. Apples

[Edited on 19-08-2011 by adiohead]
Matt L

19th Aug 11 at 11:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

personally i think your a bit of a muppet for turning it down, id have snapped his hand off, its 1 year out of uni in a placement and imagine having the fact that you have had a job with rankin for a year certinaly outshines a degree on a cv

and like he said you could have taken a year out and then gone back and finished the degree then, the amount youd learn in that one year alone would out weigh the degree imo.

im more a believer in companies go for experience over qualifications hence why i didnt bother with uni (still learning though).

fingers crossed though he still offers you the job at the end of your course but still i think you should have gone for it as i imagine its a once in a live time thing.

[Edited on 19-08-2011 by Matt L]
LeeM

19th Aug 11 at 12:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

take a year out, youd be an idiot not to going by what youve said. theres abslutely no harm in taking a year out of uni
AndyKent

19th Aug 11 at 12:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd have taken the job too. A degree is a degree, but experience in an actual role is so much more important.

As Matt says, you could always finish the degree later so nothing lost and a years worth of experience gained.
Gary
Premium Member

19th Aug 11 at 13:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Most people take year 3 our of uni for a plaement year so its nothing out of the ordinary at all.

Plus as Andy said, experience is far more important.
Dom

19th Aug 11 at 13:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can understand why you want to finish the degree but like most industries, real world experience is worth a shit load more than any degree. In this case i'd have chewed his arm off over the offer of a job. As said, you can always finish the degree later and the experience/knowledge working with Rankin would be worth its weight in gold.
_Allan_

19th Aug 11 at 13:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

will_ainsworth

19th Aug 11 at 13:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thing is, ill still be coming here every week, just not every single day, im only in uni a full day on monday and tuesdays and thursday half days which i will miss if needed on shoots as its only lecutres, so ill be doing them both. also this year we need to get a work placement for a few months so it works out best for me, then after this year i can always decide to take a year out and go full time here. also ive been told if im gonna work part time for free here for the next two years im pretty much guaranteed a job at the end. all is good
adiohead

19th Aug 11 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But you could be earning money

photography degree is not a proper degree
Robbo

19th Aug 11 at 13:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by tom130691
work a year then finish uni while working part time tbh
seems sensible to me aye

well doen lad, great achievement

the less glamourous side to modelling - hanging around in skimpies with a ton of people about, most of whom are probs perving model bird that i lived with said it was horrid on set most of the time, very demanding too and my last bird had done stuff for catalogues like la redoute and said similar things plus come home covered in slabbed on make-up!

[Edited on 19-08-2011 by Robbo]
Robbo

19th Aug 11 at 13:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by adiohead

degrees a degree at the end of the day chap. dont not get it, youll regret it!
RichR
Premium Member

19th Aug 11 at 13:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think it shows commitment to a cause which would impress me, Given the opportunity, You haven't jumped ship - it bodes well for your future IMO
adiohead

19th Aug 11 at 14:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robbo
quote:

Like a degree in Hairdressing and Salon Management?

Fucking useless. way too many pointless degrees

Robbo

19th Aug 11 at 14:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Having A degree can always prove beneficial at some point though. No guarantee the job would work out and in a market full of graduates is hella hard to recruit an unqualified person over someone who has taken the time to finish their studies even if the othe rparty has great experience - happens all the time in Finance for example (and I did the non degree route myself lol)
Gary
Premium Member

19th Aug 11 at 14:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why is anyone even debating that having a gap year is a bad thing.

Its not like hes off to outermongolioa for a year, its a job which leads to a secure career after uni.

Do it or you'll spend the rest of your life kicking yourself.

Ignore the haters
Gary
Premium Member

19th Aug 11 at 14:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Robbo
quote:

Like a degree in Hairdressing and Salon Management?

Fucking useless. way too many pointless degrees

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2297395/David-Beckham-degree-at-Staffordshire.html

Tbh

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » RANKIN - my internship 22 database queries in 0.0193799 seconds