corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » I think the UN have made a massive error with Libya.

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author I think the UN have made a massive error with Libya.
Tiger

User status: Offline
27th Aug 11 at 11:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just can't help but think that we'll look back on this as a huge mistake.

100,000 people are now displaced.

Firstly we've armed a large group of Mercenaries with huge amounts of weapons to bring down a Dictatorship that we can no longer afford to do ourselves - another case of biting off way more than we can chew.

We can't expect these mercenaries to simply 'hand over' the weapons when the campaign is won, this will leave an infinate legacy of weapons and armed militia that in the near future may oppose to interference by Western powers. (look at Africa, Vietnam and all the misery the Russian weapons that were left behind after being handed out weapons to aid yet another campaign)

Tripoli is destroyed, the clean up effort is going to a decade and a humanitarian emergency is already declared after they found that hospital with hundreds dead in there after the staff fled in fear, not because of Gaddafi himself, but the militia that are supposed to be ending Gaddafi's rule.

There's ending a Dicatorship and theres leaving behind a huge legacy of fear which is what the UN have acheived that far exceeds the original problem.

Its the whole Problem, Reaction, Solution scenario that is frequently created by Western powers to turn a situation into their favour.
gazza808

27th Aug 11 at 11:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

At least with old rubber face in charge we knew where we stood and what to expect.
RCoughtrie

27th Aug 11 at 11:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tiger

Its the whole Problem, Reaction, Solution scenario that is frequently created by Western powers to turn a situation into their favour.

thus meaning its not a huge mistake

[Edited on 27-08-2011 by RCoughtrie]
Tiger

27th Aug 11 at 11:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In 2008 it seemed like they were ready to put it all behind them, even deeming that Libya were not any threat.

http://ind.pn/qYA9hF
Tiger

quote:
Originally posted by RCoughtrie
quote:
Originally posted by Tiger

thus meaning its not a huge mistake

[Edited on 27-08-2011 by RCoughtrie]

Not directly no.
sc0ott

NSFW pics required
Ian
Site Administrator

27th Aug 11 at 11:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You've also got the issue that the rebels are themselves divided in to factions that won't necessarily unite to run the country anyway.

No overstating the size of the job.
RCoughtrie

27th Aug 11 at 11:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the will come to the humanitarian emergency side when the oils sorted mate dont worry about it...
Sunz

27th Aug 11 at 12:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There will always be pro gaddafi supporters, I don't think they will ever unite, the mind set of these people doesn't seem to be about human rights, democracy but only greed for themselves and they always resort violence to make their point even after the gaddafi regime, if they can't learn from that, what hope is there.

Best thing about it is only 4 years ago we sold gaddafi £5,000,000 worth of equipment, Britian is the Worlds 3rd exporter of arms and when you look at the top 10 of importing, all we are doing is creating problems for other counties for a short financial gain which in the long run bites us in the butt, not to mention all the lives we help to destroy along the way.
Tax payers money is being spent to create arms that then go in to unstable countries causing more problems but it's fine as long as the British public get a good deal on oil.

[Edited on 27-08-2011 by Sunz]
Jambo

27th Aug 11 at 12:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We have been unnoficialy trying to assassinate I'm for years according to that ex MI5 whistleblower if he is to be believed. That would have been less mess, but I imagine it will provide new opportunities for Libya and uk alike for the clean up and future trade.

As mentioned the rebels where all against Ghadaffi as a common intreats but not all tribes/factions share the same vision. So will be interesting to say the least.

Proper grim at the reports of the hospital with 200+ dead bodies rotting.
Hammer

27th Aug 11 at 12:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think it would be naive to think the interference had any sort of charitable aim to begin with.

I doubt there will be many tears shed if the country is left in a worse state than it was to begin with.
Ben G

27th Aug 11 at 13:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

to be pretty honest, i think they know what they're doing better than you mate.
Bonney

27th Aug 11 at 13:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Simple solution, Just drop a couple of atomic bombs on the place, Job done!
Jambo

27th Aug 11 at 13:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bonney
Simple solution, Just drop a couple of atomic bombs on the place, Job done!

richc

27th Aug 11 at 18:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What is the plan now gaddafi is 'gone'?
Jambo

27th Aug 11 at 18:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rebels where meeting today to discuss forming a government
Nath

27th Aug 11 at 18:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dr Pepper will be all over this.
SetH

28th Aug 11 at 12:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Another situation where the average innocent human being suffer. Imagine being a family in Tripoli with young children, must be fucking horrendous.
Russ

28th Aug 11 at 12:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

?
quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
We have been unnoficialy trying to assassinate I'm for years according to that ex MI5 whistleblower.
dont MI6 manage business abroad?
0775kieran

28th Aug 11 at 13:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As brutal as gaddafi is at least he kept everyone in line, nobody can predict what will happen now with so many different fractions and groups of tribes etc.
Aaron

28th Aug 11 at 14:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Russ
?
quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
We have been unnoficialy trying to assassinate I'm for years according to that ex MI5 whistleblower.
dont MI6 manage business abroad?

Yes they do. 5 do internal security, 6 do world affairs.

SAS have been in Libya for 5 months now, assisting the "rebels". The UK and America want the world to believe that is has been a civil war, but, has it fuck Had it not been for the intervention of the UK and no doubt US Special Forces, I don’t the rebels would be where they are today. Just my opinion of course.
Nath

28th Aug 11 at 14:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Aaron
Had it not been for the intervention of the UK and no doubt US Special Forces, I don’t the rebels would be where they are today. Just my opinion of course.

That goes without saying tbh.
McWillster

29th Aug 11 at 08:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are you all forgetting why this started in the first place?

The Arab world has seen revolution against dictatorships over the past year, not only in Libya but Syria and Egypt alike.

Libyian's before they became know as 'rebels' were purely protesters. Protesters which met a brutal dictator who wasn't giving a fuck about mobilising his army and blowing them to fuck.

Now tell me that when a country which, (take this bit with a pinch of salt) are in a position to assist when civilians are in dire need of protection.

If the UN, America, Britian all stood back and just let them get on with it. How are you to say that the outcome would have been better without Western intervention?

You're not. Would have been a totally different debate about how sad it was, that in a short space of time one man and his army continued to slaughter thousands upon thousands of protesters and civilians alike.

Seems you lot with the attitude of "At least with old rubber face in charge we knew where we stood and what to expect. " take for granted the luxury of living in a free, democratic country.

SetH

29th Aug 11 at 10:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by McWillster
If the UN, America, Britian all stood back and just let them get on with it. How are you to say that the outcome would have been better without Western intervention?

You're not. Would have been a totally different debate about how sad it was, that in a short space of time one man and his army continued to slaughter thousands upon thousands of protesters and civilians alike.

Neither are you TBH.

Nobody is, we will not know the true extent of this for some time and that will be subjective based on the way the aftermath is reported by the Media and any reports that are published (IE how factual/truthful will they be).

My personal view is that the West have wanted rid of Gadaffi for a long time and this was the perfect opportunity/excuse. I believe this alone would have been top of their mandate with the protection of Libyan Citizens as Secondary.

Lets hope it does not become another Iraq. If that ever happens and we send troops in, when the casuaulty list starts mounting up then it will be "why are we meddling with another Countries affairs and losing UK lives in the process" all over again. This will go back to what others are saying in this thread that it was better with Gadaffi in charge.
Steve
Premium Member

29th Aug 11 at 10:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Too many left wing hippies with an opinion. Stick to finding out when then next festival is on so you can go get knee deep in mud and weed

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » I think the UN have made a massive error with Libya. 22 database queries in 0.1816361 seconds