corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Telephone Manners

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Telephone Manners
Kyle T
Premium Member

User status: Offline
30th Aug 11 at 16:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Something has come up at work, and I can't decide what I make of it - so wanted the opinion of others, so where better to ask than CS? I'm not particularly pissed off or upset about this, just genuinely curious as to what people think.

I work in a reasonably small IT team, and recently our helpdesk (team of three) have been asked to cut out their use of words such as 'mate' or 'buddy' when talking to customers on the phone.

All of our customers are internal, and I'd say (without any real figures to back this up) that 80% of our calls are from 20% of our userbase (being about 1000 users total), so it's fair to say that we're on first name terms and quite pally with most of the people we speak to.

Personally I only speak with people maybe once or twice a week, and typically it's involving quite a long ongoing issue so I talk to them in the same way I'd talk to any person outside of work - but for our helpdesk guys taking potentially hundreds of calls per week, is it fair/right/proper to ask them to sound 'more professional' and eliminate the 'Cheers Mate', 'Eyup Buddy', etc?

I always felt that I had a good relationship with my 'customers' when in a similar role - and I was very 'casual' in the way in which I spoke to people. I think that turning into professional robots in a company this size will just create an even bigger social barrier between the production side of the company and the IT support/facilities side, but I've never really worked in a large corperate environment so I'm not sure my opinion is particularly well informed.

I've been in car dealerships recently and have cringed at the way in which sales people speak to me with all their mates, pals and buddies, so I think it has to be used in good measure - but certainly not eliminated completely.

How do you speak to people on the phone, and how would you respond to somebody calling you 'mate' or 'love'?

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Sam
Premium Member

30th Aug 11 at 16:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well if you all work for the same company, what bloody difference does it make whether you call them mate or not if you talk to them regularly?

Obviously you may not want to do this with senior management/directors unless they are "alright".
T21SVJ

30th Aug 11 at 16:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if im on the phone to one of our supplyers who i speak to regular then its always "mate" or "love".

but if a customer walks into the dealership then i wouldn't use mate or love to any new customer who i was trying to sell a car to.
Jake

30th Aug 11 at 16:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

barnshaw literally has the best telephone manners out of anyone on the internet
Robin
Premium Member

30th Aug 11 at 16:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends on the customer IMO, I use 'sir' if it's a new customer or someone old, and mate if it's someone I know well enough.

Familiarity with people you don't know can rub people up the wrong way.

If there's suits in the room, it's 'sir' all the way.
mattk

30th Aug 11 at 16:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

people are people, apart from material things we are all the same, I treat everyone the same, Id talk to the queen the same Id talk to anyone else.

I like to think Im polite enough to everyone

my close mates are different though I suppose, they are the only ones I call Cunts
BarnshaW

30th Aug 11 at 16:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jake

i can confirm you should not address customers or people outside the business as "mate" or "buddy" , it is just not professional.
Stuart H

30th Aug 11 at 16:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When I worked in peugeot it was mate for customers that were in all the time

Spoke professional to anyone I didny know though
Tomnova16
Premium Member

30th Aug 11 at 19:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BarnshaW
quote:
Originally posted by Jake

i can confirm you should not address customers or people outside the business as "mate" or "buddy" , it is just not professional.

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
Ian
Site Administrator

30th Aug 11 at 19:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Never used mate in work, ever.
Jed D

30th Aug 11 at 19:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i called a customer mate once....

then looked up to see it was an old lady
sc0ott

30th Aug 11 at 19:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I work with some proffesional bodies both internally and externally.
The ones i know pretty well usual get 'good afternoon, halfords bike department', or 'hello jjb female changing rooms' from me.
Lynny

30th Aug 11 at 19:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I hate being called mate, love, pet etc. Especially when in a work environment.
Marc

30th Aug 11 at 19:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I never use the term mate personally. When speaking to internal customers at NU we were not allowed to use the term and if we were called mate that was for their departments call listeners to pick up! When at Gamestation store staff would call you mate when they called you but that was a completely differant culture! At Nestle we have a few internal customers and we have to speak to them like we would all our other customers - ensure we say Mr or Mrs once. I'm pretty sure we would be lynched if we dared call them by their first names!
Jake

30th Aug 11 at 19:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i used to call everyone mate when i worked at daytona. they asked us to call men, sir etcetc but couldnt bring myself to say it
Daveskater
Premium Member

30th Aug 11 at 19:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whenever I make an internal call at work I always say "alright mate, how you doing" but for clients etc it's "hi *name*" instead of "alright mate".

I'm far too laid back to call everyone sir

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
Ian
Site Administrator

30th Aug 11 at 20:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In fact I used to get asked in the pub why I was being funny during work hours. Everyone said I was totally different in a social setting than in work. To the point that loads have people have said that since going for a pint they now think I'm OK, previously a narky bastard.

It's just a different setting.
shaunmods
Premium Member

30th Aug 11 at 20:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If a customer calls me 'mate' or similar im a lot more likely to say it. Its harder over the phone than face to face because you can tell things like their age etc most of the time. Most younger people probably wont have a problem with it but someone older might not like it.

I've had a customer complain about me for calling them by their first name before. I've never called someone sir or madam though.
BarnshaW

30th Aug 11 at 20:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i use sir or madam all the time, if your calling someone for the first time and you dont know them its the proper way,

also people with hard to pronounce surnames i might say "good afternoon, i am sorry to trouble you sir my name is ..... and i am calling from ......."
VegasPhil
Premium Member

30th Aug 11 at 21:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mr/s and Sir and Madam for me. Rarely say mate, unless i'm on the phone to IT.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
mwg

30th Aug 11 at 21:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I hate being called Sir.
Daveskater
Premium Member

30th Aug 11 at 21:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sir Matty G

Tbf young people aren't going to want to be called sir because it makes you feel old

[Edited on 30-08-2011 by Daveskater]

Numberwang!

Look at my pictures
John

30th Aug 11 at 21:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know exactly the sort of person that would have decided to bring in a rule like that, there's always one.
mwg

30th Aug 11 at 21:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Daveskater
Sir Matty G

Tbf young people aren't going to want to be called sir because it makes you feel old

[Edited on 30-08-2011 by Daveskater]

I dont like being called it because it means the person saying it is being an arse licker
Daveskater
Premium Member

30th Aug 11 at 21:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes, Matty G, sir. Of course Matty G, sir. Whatever you say, Matty G, sir.

Numberwang!

Look at my pictures

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Telephone Manners 23 database queries in 0.0183051 seconds