corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » How much would high milage put you off

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author How much would high milage put you off
alan-g-w

User status: Offline
17th Sep 11 at 23:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm currently on the lookout for a runabout and have seen an N reg 1.4 civic with 193000 miles. The price reflects this and it's recently had a full clean bill of health in a service and it had the timing belt done last year. I'm going to view it tomorrow and provided there are no unusual knocks, smoke or bangs I'm seriously considering it.

I'd like to know who, if anybody, has had experience of these engines with a similair mileage and what their thoughts are? Also just what peoples' educated opinions are on it too?

A mate of mine had a jordan on 170k and it still ran sweet as a nut - different engine but I'm hoping the reliability's still there
Ben G

17th Sep 11 at 23:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as others have said before, it's not just about the engine.

the whole car has one 193k miles so the suspension/brakes/everything has much more wear on it and may not have been replaced or serviced.

i personally wouldn't buy a car with moon miles but my dad currently has 190k on his mondeo and it's still going. smells like shite though.
Bobber123

17th Sep 11 at 23:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

when i worked in a garage, i used to service a customers ford sierra with just over 250k on the clocks, that still ran like a dream! my corsa b sri has 145k on it and still going strong *touch wood*
John

18th Sep 11 at 00:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

'sweet as a nut' and 'drives like it's got half that' are clearly subjective.

I've yet to see a 100k car that's as good as it was at half that. Yes it's not going to fall apart but they've been driving over British roads.

Wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.

[Edited on 18-09-2011 by John]
alan-g-w

18th Sep 11 at 00:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ben, I can see what you mean but I'm assuming parts have been replaced in relation to 'consumable' parts, or that they are still going strong if it's not wanting for much at service time!

John don't tease me like that, come off the fence... I can see why you would let it go past you but at the same time I'd consider a categorised write off when you wouldn't. I can see that you're very much a belt and braces guy
John

18th Sep 11 at 00:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yip, obviously people don't mind or cars would get scrapped after 50k, that's my opinion on it though.
Eck
Premium Member

18th Sep 11 at 01:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My old Civic had 162,000 and still ran perfectly fine.
nick_sri

18th Sep 11 at 03:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if its been looked after dont see the problem with high mileag4

my uncle got a 205 van from new 265k and still going strong
djgritt
Premium Member

18th Sep 11 at 06:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TBH, mileage is something I've never even thought about when buying a car...
Dan
Premium Member

18th Sep 11 at 07:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mileage's irrelevant. So long as the body works ok. Mechanical parts are easy to replace.

Think of all the trucks on the road. They have done millions of miles in some cases. We have one on over a million and it's never had any engine work!

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
DanCobb

18th Sep 11 at 08:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it's just for a runabout and if it's cheap enough then go for it . Theyve usually always got high miles anyway and I've heard them engines are bullet proof anyway.
MarkM

18th Sep 11 at 09:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends what car it was.
Sunz

18th Sep 11 at 09:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For peace of mind I wouldn't go for a car with high mileage, but "high" can be different to different people.
Darrell16v

18th Sep 11 at 10:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

17TD engines will outlast the car easily

Brother has one with 240,000 on it and still pulls well!
Daveskater
Premium Member

18th Sep 11 at 13:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A guy I work with has an E46 estate with 180k miles on it and for the most part it runs fine, but he did have to rebuild the bottom end.

If you go and have a look and everything seems to be in relatively good order then I can't see why not to go for it. Obviously have a good look round to make sure nothing looks like it's on its last legs.

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
AlexW

18th Sep 11 at 13:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

12v corsa 180k+, Its fucked

Offen worked on ford galaxys with 250k miles, They all needed turbos but other than that, Nothing major.

Bare in mind that you might need to replace bushes but it depends how bothered you are.
kev
Organiser: North East
Premium Member

18th Sep 11 at 13:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mates seat Alhambra just died last week with 198,000 on we wanted to see the 200,000 but she sadly died

Also I don't like high milage cars personally as said above they come with a price unless they been looked after?!

[Edited on 18-09-2011 by kev]
Daveskater
Premium Member

18th Sep 11 at 14:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AW06
Bare in mind that you might need to replace bushes but it depends how bothered you are.
Personally I wouldn't worry about that until the MOT man says it needs replacing, but that could be just me. Unless it's making dodgy noises of course

[Edited on 18-09-2011 by Daveskater]

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
AlexW

18th Sep 11 at 15:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah it depends how much you give a shit, If your the kinda person that likes the feel of the car and isnt happy unless it feels bang on, then it will matter, But its nothing a set of bushes and most likely shocks too.

For a run around or the average car driver, its never worth bothering until it fails a mot.
Jerham

18th Sep 11 at 15:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How long you wanna keep it for and do you want to sell on. If your put off now will you be able to sell on with more miles?
sand-eel

18th Sep 11 at 15:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
'sweet as a nut' and 'drives like it's got half that' are clearly subjective.

I've yet to see a 100k car that's as good as it was at half that. Yes it's not going to fall apart but they've been driving over British roads.

Wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.

[Edited on 18-09-2011 by John]

You need to drive a bmw then
John

18th Sep 11 at 16:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

More than I have already.

No matter how good you want TM say it is because you've got a high mileage one, one with half that mileage is still better.
RichR
Premium Member

18th Sep 11 at 18:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my car has 135k on it now, the last one had 125k on it when I sold it and my 1.2 Corsa had 120k when I stopped driving it.

If a car is comprehensively looked after, I don't see a problem.

My missus has just bought a Disco3 with 74,000 on the clock; it is clean as a whistle inside and out and there is a pile of receipts with show every nut, bolt and washer that has been replaced. We went to see one with less miles which had obviously been used for towing a boat in and out of the sea somewhere as the rear chassis rails were rotten.

I'd not let mileage put me off a car if the price reflected the difficulty to sell it on in the future but if its a run around and its cheap, I wouldn't be overly bothered if it had 150k or 250k

[Edited on 18-09-2011 by LiVe LeE]
John

18th Sep 11 at 18:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A 74k disco probably has a lot of receipts for work done.
Steve
Premium Member

18th Sep 11 at 18:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

surely you are only contemplating this as some sort of shitter roun about, in which case due to its age and milage id be surprised if you were giving anymore then a couple of hundred for it, in which case who cares what its going to last like for that money lol

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » How much would high milage put you off 23 database queries in 0.0135028 seconds