corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Orlando Holiday

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Orlando Holiday
Kyle T
Premium Member

User status: Offline
25th Sep 11 at 16:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looking to go to Orlando for two weeks with my girlfriend in July next year once she's finished university.

I've been before a few times as a kid, but she's never been - and as we both love rollercoasters, I can't think of a better place to go

Whenever I've been in the past - we've done a flydrive holiday, and then booked a reasonably modest hotel (think travelodge equivelant). There is so much to do and the eating out is fantastic in Orlando, and not particularly expensive so we've always felt that a good hotel would be slightly wasted.

This time round though I've been tempted with going balls to the wall and stopping at one of the Disney resort hotels; there is a deal on for next year where you get a free dining plan for the extent of your stay which basically turns it into an all inclusive holiday minus drinks.

Cost-wise there is quite a gulf, and looks as follows:

Fly/Drive staying at a 3star Best Western hotel with 14 day disney park ticket and 14 day 'flex ticket plus' for the non disney major parks = £3200

Old Key West Disney Resort (http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts/old-key-west-resort/) with 14 day disney park ticket and 14 day flex ticket plus = £4200

The second options excludes a hire car, so that would make it about £4450 but it does include the disney dining plan (apparently worth £950...)

My main concern with the dining plan is being 'trapped' at Disney, I loved going to the all you can eat breakfast restaraunts and steakhouses n' such - but apparently there are quite literally hundreds of restaraunts to choose from on the Disney resorts...

What do the knowledgable people of CS think? Has anyone stayed at Disney who can comment - a forum search indicated that quite a few people here have done a flydrive, and I know the flydrive is a good holiday. We're in a situation though where we could afford to go 'all the way' and stay in a Disney resort... but I can't be sure it's the right call even when ignoring the financial factors.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
mattk

25th Sep 11 at 16:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

would I fuck be dining everynight in disney, americans can only do one thing propperly and thats eat and drink, as you said, the dining there is fabulous and cheap.

I wouldnt even stay at disney, see what kind of villa you can rent for a simmilar price. thats what we did the 2 times I went
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

25th Sep 11 at 17:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Stay outside of Disney!

Sister got married at Disney (Boat House) and had to stay in a Disney hotel! Great for getting about Disney on the buses but Florida / Orlando had far more to offer than Disney IMO.

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

25th Sep 11 at 18:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i drive is the place to stay imo
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

25th Sep 11 at 18:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

take a look at vista kay
Dave

25th Sep 11 at 19:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Personally I'd stay outside the Disney resort. It seems the worst of both worlds in that you are tied to eating in the same place whilst not saving any money.

As you have said there are so many places to eat out over there so that's the one I'd go for.
dannymccann

25th Sep 11 at 20:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I went when I was 10/11 (12 years ago now ) and stayed at The Enclave on International Drive. Buses were excellent (air conned and always on time) and plenty of places to eat around the hotel. Could go shopping in any of the malls that are nearby, again a bus ride away, generally a great place. Was pricey back then (think it totalled in at £1kpp + spending money but that included 2 weeks entry to World Disney, hotel and flights, £5200 in todays money, 2 adults 2 kids) so sure it will be cheaper now. Also, we went in October and it was stiflingly hot (35c I think), and the sun was so bright we had to find shade from 12-1 ish, so bear that in mind if you aren't keen on temps

[Edited on 25-09-2011 by dannymccann]
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

25th Sep 11 at 20:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i stayed in the enclaves last time i went

was ok, not the nicest but livable. got free breakfast which was a bonus. pool areas were ace and great location
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

25th Sep 11 at 20:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

when i go again this is my plan

stay in the vista kay
go sept/oct - still hot, no queues
go to church street station more than once, awesome night out
plenty of theme parks
indoor sky diving
c20let

25th Sep 11 at 20:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've been 6 times now, stayed at the Enclave twice.
International Drive's where it's at, not sure I'd want to stay at a Disney resort.
cunningham

25th Sep 11 at 20:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Would only ever stay in a villa deal with direct for very cheap rates
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

25th Sep 11 at 21:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

villas are good, but it means you have to drive everywhere. hotels mean you can drink and walk home
jacko198

25th Sep 11 at 21:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Id stay at international drive aswell tbh, been and stayed there 4 times.

I wouldnt do 2 weeks at disney either, yeah the parks are big but i think 2 weeks is too long. We used to do a week in disney and then drive down to St Pete's or Tampa Bay etc
Kyle T
Premium Member

25th Sep 11 at 21:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers guys, pretty much backed up what I thought.

I was tempted with Disney only because I could afford it, but I-Drive still looks to be the better option despite being cheaper.

The Vista Kay looks amazing, will shuffle through accomodation options this week and hopefully get something booked for next weekend

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

25th Sep 11 at 21:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i wouldnt go in july either. full of kids/ massive queues
Kyle T
Premium Member

25th Sep 11 at 21:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by IvIarkgraham
i wouldnt go in july either. full of kids/ massive queues

Don't have a choice with dates, My missus is training to be a teacher. She finishes off her course about two weeks before the UK kids break up, meaning we can save some cash by slotting into that window.

If the US kids/other tourists break up early for summer - then there's not a right lot we can do about it, as she'll be working come September.

I hope, someone will have to pay off my credit card after this holiday.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

25th Sep 11 at 21:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

gutted
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

25th Sep 11 at 22:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oct is ace, fright nights at all the parks is far better than going on any other normal day!

I've been 10 times over many years and usually stay at Westgate Lakes just off I-Drive!

100% need a car so can do what you like when you like!

Old Town cruises on Fri / Sat night, Florida Mall and the other outlet stores.

The parks are huge but as I've done them all before we usually just do Universal / Islands of adventure / Sea World and a water park.

Book tickets for parks before you go and save money.

Eating out can't beat Ponderosa or Golden Corral for breakfast!

I want to go back but so many other parts of US I want to visit!

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
cunningham

25th Sep 11 at 23:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Daniel when were you last there? Was there last October and ponderosa has went well down hill. Love planet Hollywood for food and hooters is good to. IMO it's not really the place for drinking hard liquor at pubs is expensive
Ian
Site Administrator

26th Sep 11 at 07:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hope the Hooters is better than the one in San Fran, everything was wrong and the food was terrible. And no one cared.
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

26th Sep 11 at 11:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Be 3 years since was last there Cunningham! Agree about the drinking, never been out in Florida just few beers back at room as usually been driving!

If want to go for a boozy holiday there are far better locations.... VEGAS!

Hammer

26th Sep 11 at 11:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd be tempted to try and stay in Disney personally, the grub is all exactly the same within the resort as it is out of it.

Be good to say you've done it as well, if the hotel is anything like the resort in general it will be special.
Kyle T
Premium Member

26th Sep 11 at 11:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd be surprised if we spend much time on the drink at all to be honest. My missus has never been over so we'll be cramming the holiday with all of the themeparks and smaller attractions, so I expect we'll be knackered!

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Dave

26th Sep 11 at 14:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think I'd probably eat nothing but Wendy's for the entire stay!
Kyle T
Premium Member

26th Sep 11 at 17:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've run some prices for The Enclave on I-Drive and we could stay there for three weeks and still have almost a grand in pocket over going to a Disney resort for two weeks.

Not sure if I'll get that kind of time off work - but three weeks would give enough wind down time between themeparks I guess

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Orlando Holiday 23 database queries in 0.0372071 seconds