corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Your biggest do'h moments whilst working on your car...........

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Your biggest do'h moments whilst working on your car...........
johnhara1

User status: Offline
27th Oct 11 at 20:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Read a thread on migweb last night and come across a thread of everyone's biggest mistakes while working on their cars.

Some of them were hilarious, and some resulted in broken bones etc so i thought id ask here.

Gary
Premium Member

27th Oct 11 at 20:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nothing too bad.

Worst ive had frm a car is pulling the return/small hose from the header tank on a astra gte, it suddenly giving and slicing my hand down the inner wing. Only got a small scar though.
Scotty C

27th Oct 11 at 20:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had numerous cars fall off jacks. Luckly I wasent under them nothing too dramatic.
Gary
Premium Member

27th Oct 11 at 20:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh, sat in my mates car once while he was under it while it was only jacked up with a 'widow maker' jack.

Needless to say he had a bruised chest and was not best pleased
SportBoy

27th Oct 11 at 20:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

probably when i did my first xe conversion years ago .. turning the engine over for ages with no spark and wondering why ... oh yeah, works better with the ecu connected.
Ben G

27th Oct 11 at 20:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my fiesta fell off an axle stand. scariest moment so far i think
Scotty C

27th Oct 11 at 20:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
my fiesta fell off an axle stand. scariest moment so far i think

How does it 'fall off' an axle stand?
Ben G

27th Oct 11 at 20:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tried to jack the other side up whilst it was resting on an axle stand on the other side car was only 2 months old aswell.
mwg

27th Oct 11 at 20:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Over tightened the rear wheel bearing. Next day driving along to work I heard this noise like a shotgun going off in my ear and the rear wheel locked up. Bearing welded itself to the stub axle
JonnyJ

27th Oct 11 at 20:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Finger tightening my wheel bolts, getting distracted, forgot to tighten properly, drove off luckily noticed before the wheel fell off
AndyCorsaSport

Many many cut knucles fingers.

Had a car slip off a jack and caught my hand as i moved it out the way.

Had a Corsa fall off the jig slightly and hit a Range Rover that was my own fault though, Monday mornings for ya!
.Matt

Sneezed whilst under a car once, headbutted the underside. Wasn't best impressed.
Scotty C

27th Oct 11 at 21:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by .Matt
Sneezed whilst under a car once, headbutted the underside. Wasn't best impressed.

ada_corsa

27th Oct 11 at 21:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I put a gearbox on my old 14xe and was eager to test on the axle stands. So i fired her up and tried gears, they worked fine. Untill i put it in reverse then clunk hahaha. I realised i didnt put the drive shafts in and my diff was bleeding all over the garden. The goose wasnt impressed.
shaunmods
Premium Member

27th Oct 11 at 21:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bought a new aux belt for my car because I had a high pitch noise. Some how I managed to take the old one off and put the same one back on again without realising I ended up replacing the alternator, tensioner and power steering pump before I realised what I'd done put the new belt on when I found and and it fixed it completely

[Edited on 27-10-2011 by shaunmods]
SportBoy

27th Oct 11 at 21:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

gave myself a blackeye undoing a sump plug on a peugoet too.
Jed D

27th Oct 11 at 21:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

failed big time rattle canning my bonnet on the old b black.
i had it all looking good, primed and the 1st coat of paint on then started doing the 2nd from side to side working my way from the front lip to the back then realised the nozzle was dodgey and it'd been dripping all over the front... running down the bumper etc...

cant really see it well from this angle but i got a cloth and rubbed it all off whilst wet, fucked up big time
when it had dried, in the top bit (perfect finish) i carved "I CANT PAINT"

ended up smoothing it all back down and priming it again. it stayed in prime (lumpy as fcuk) untill it got sold then crashed by some fat kid

DansCorsaSXi
Organiser: Yorkshire
Premium Member

27th Oct 11 at 21:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JonnyJ
Finger tightening my wheel bolts, getting distracted, forgot to tighten properly, drove off luckily noticed before the wheel fell off

I've done this,good job I had my cracker bar in car.

Star silver C20XE SXi Project thread

Smoke Grey Corsa GSi Project thread
Jed D

27th Oct 11 at 21:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DansCorsaSXi
quote:

I've done this,good job I had my cracker bar in car.

+1
Adam C
Premium Member

27th Oct 11 at 21:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The worst one I've had was when I was lowering my old Corsa Sport, was working on one of the front struts without the use of an axle stand and my mate decided to play with the jack and ended up lowering the car rather quickly onto my legs.

Had a mate once connect both ends of a jump start pack together, I would have told him not to but I wanted to see the look on his face

My Arden Blue Astra GSi MK4 on BBS LM's Project Thread
Ian
Site Administrator

27th Oct 11 at 21:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Done loads, set fire to my pants grinding, emptied an engine with 5.5 litre oil capacity in to a 5 litre can, hit Ste W in the face the other day with a breaker bar while we were doing the suspension on the truck.

Probably most painful was the first time Mike B had ever heard me say bad words putting a hole saw in the drill, spun it up to tighten the chuck except I had hold of the hole saw not the chuck

Blood up the door, skin on the bit, wasn't nice.
SteveoBC
Premium Member

27th Oct 11 at 21:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

spending ages at the bearing press trying to get old bearings out..........then realising the sur-clip that holds it was still in....bollocks

and another trying to figure out why the filler i had just put on a car was'nt going off....ahh yes.......helps if i added the hardner to it...DOH!
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

27th Oct 11 at 21:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

I've done that followed by 3 track sessions

Other bad one I remember was changing the clutch on my brother's old E36. I unbolted the clutch and the friction plate fell out fitted the new clutch in what I believed to be the correct way, built it all back up, started it, dipped the clutch, massive grinding noise had to strip it all down again to turn the clutch plate around which was about a further 3-4 hours work, on my drive with tiny axle stands
t_benn_1

27th Oct 11 at 21:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Changing a grinder disk, holding the disk to turn it to lock and pressing on. Nice slice in the hand. One of those you look at it, wait a few seconds then the blood starts pouring out.
Tomnova16
Premium Member

27th Oct 11 at 21:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Where's twiggy

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Your biggest do'h moments whilst working on your car........... 23 database queries in 0.0166330 seconds