corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Anyone had any experiences with an Ek9 Type R...

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Anyone had any experiences with an Ek9 Type R...
Aleex

User status: Offline
11th Jan 12 at 18:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Now,

i know they're overpriced.. Could just buy a vti... blah blah blah.

But has anyone actually had any experience with one? Looking into buying one in april, insurance is affordable surprisingly, even though its an import.

I've had a scan on the net, and on the ek9 forums, but is there any common problems I should look for, apart from burning oil lol.

all vtec comments will be taken into consideration.

Also looked at Ep3's but having a Ek9 would be different, and also a 1.6 N/a putting out 185bhp makes me smile
Welsh Dan

11th Jan 12 at 18:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had one, as did Mertin? on here. No real problems. Honda reliability, easy enough to get parts for, both standard and modified. Only problem I ever had with mine was the clutch went, which is a consumable as far as i'm concerned. Even then, it was less than £300 supplied and fitted IIRC.

I'm not sure what they're like for rust, given that the newest ones are still going to be 12 years old.

My only advice is to avoid one thats got silly modifications, as in actual changes to the bodywork or complete engine changes. If you want one with a different engine or bodykit, just buy the VTI.
Aleex

11th Jan 12 at 18:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have my plans for it, they would be subtle.

after taking a ride in my friends dc2 the other night, it makes me want one bad ! awesome's machines!
Welsh Dan

11th Jan 12 at 18:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine was tinkered with slightly. Spoon N1 exhaust, B pipe, air filter and intake, and a Spoon 4-2-1 manifold. It also had Tein coilovers.

Just over 200bhp and good fun on country lanes. Bit noisy for day to day though, but then it did have a stupid exhaust.
Aleex

11th Jan 12 at 18:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeh I've been looking at the spoon N1's or the mugen twin loops, the mugens seem to be a lot quieter but a tad more expensive aswell.

coilovers are a must
Mertin

11th Jan 12 at 18:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wasnt me that had one, however I have always looked at them regularly and want one
I think it was maybe Martin_c that had one?
Eck and flybikeslee will be able to tell you a bit about them I presume from being honda fan boys
Welsh Dan

11th Jan 12 at 18:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There you go. Even found a picture of it on the Barbican.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

And yes, I meant Martin C

[Edited on 11-01-2012 by Welsh Dan]
sc0ott

11th Jan 12 at 18:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was offered an ek9 when i had my old ep3. Would love one but using one to drive along motorways for 70 miles a day changed my mind.

Id pay the extra for one thats been upgraded to the b18.
Aleex

11th Jan 12 at 18:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

welsh dan..

thought i recognised your username lol. your on street stylers aswell yeh ?

thats pretty much how id want mine to look !
Eck
Premium Member

11th Jan 12 at 19:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Aleex
Now,

i know they're overpriced.. Could just buy a vti... blah blah blah.

But has anyone actually had any experience with one? Looking into buying one in april, insurance is affordable surprisingly, even though its an import.

I've had a scan on the net, and on the ek9 forums, but is there any common problems I should look for, apart from burning oil lol.

all vtec comments will be taken into consideration.

Also looked at Ep3's but having a Ek9 would be different, and also a 1.6 N/a putting out 185bhp makes me smile

If you just bought a VTi you wouldn't be getting a car anywhere near as good. The list of differences is quite substantial!

From a fully seam welded chassis to a thinner crash bar, to a LSD. They weigh 50kg less iirc.

http://www.ek9.org/forum/general-chat/11328-official-ek4-ek9-comparison.html

Massive comparison list!

The B16B is a cracking engine. I had one in my 4th Gen and loved the way it sounded in vtec and just kept reving for fucking fun. There aren't much in the way of problems at all. Using oil isn't really much of one either Some use more than others. Just keep on top of it! I have a Spoon N1 on my Jordan and anyone who's heard it will tell you it is absurdly loud, and that's with a silencer box! Rusty arches isn't uncommon, and because it's an import I'd be checking if it had been undersealed. Thing is though that EK9's are expensive, and usually owned by an enthusiast, and as such, normally looked after. I'd definitely be buying from EK9 instead of Pistonheads etc. On the engine side of things again, the B16B is actually a B18 block that has been sleeved. Instead of buying a B18 for it, you could use the existing block, and keep the EK9 cams which have higher lift and duration than the B18c's. That's if you wanted to change it! Amazing cars out of the box and I (biased opinion of course), think they look amazing!
Edges 58

11th Jan 12 at 19:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my mate had a yellow EG type r (earlier one with flat front lights, cant remember the actual name) with a mugan twin loop. have to say it sounded fooking ace!!! that was a b16a i think
Aleex

11th Jan 12 at 19:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

god i need an ek9
Nismo

11th Jan 12 at 19:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For what they cost you can get a damm good S2000, no brainier really.

...unless Insurance is an issue but then the money saved can go towards it!
Eck
Premium Member

11th Jan 12 at 19:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Edges 58
my mate had a yellow EG type r (earlier one with flat front lights, cant remember the actual name) with a mugan twin loop. have to say it sounded fooking ace!!! that was a b16a i think

You mean a VTi? The Type R started in the above EK shape. Also, must have been a non standard colour unless you have mistaken it for a yellow EK9 If it was, it would be a B16B. If not, then aye it would be a B16a2. They do sound the bollocks tbh! Mine isn't to everyone's taste, but this is it with an N1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YziBA5B6TMk&feature=related

Not the greatest video for the sound tbh!
Eck
Premium Member

11th Jan 12 at 19:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nismo
For what they cost you can get a damm good S2000, no brainier really.

...unless Insurance is an issue but then the money saved can go towards it!

Two completely different cars? One is a nice looking, quick and comfortable convertible GT, and the other is a hatchback? I'd never own an S2000 but would love an EK9.
Aleex

11th Jan 12 at 19:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

s2000 isn't a option due to insurance

i turn 20 in april and the insurance on the ek9 is very reasonable
Aleex

11th Jan 12 at 20:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i keep looking at fresh imports and ek9's waiting to come over, but they hold a lot heftier price tag compared to ones already used in the uk.
Eck
Premium Member

11th Jan 12 at 20:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There are plenty of EK9's over here already that are in cracking condition on the forums. If you loved the DC2, why not consider one of them? The best spec, the 98 spec JDM, would be about the same as an EK9?
Archie
Organiser: Scotland
Premium Member

11th Jan 12 at 20:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Eck there was a rare canary yellow EG, SIR if i remember rightly, import only.
Aleex

11th Jan 12 at 20:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Eck
There are plenty of EK9's over here already that are in cracking condition on the forums. If you loved the DC2, why not consider one of them? The best spec, the 98 spec JDM, would be about the same as an EK9?

insurance on them seems to a lot more and the dc2's are quite common down where i live!

No ek9's about down here, and i genuinely prefer the civic shape to the integra, will definitely be buying one already in the uk.
Eck
Premium Member

11th Jan 12 at 20:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Archie

You sure man? I cannot see a single thing about them Would be ace though!
sc0ott

11th Jan 12 at 21:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yellow dc2's are cool as fuck but cost a bomb

How much are your insurance quotes?
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

11th Jan 12 at 21:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Deffo go for a mugen twin loop if your trying to decide between the 2. Much quieter and just the same power and stuff.
Aleex

11th Jan 12 at 21:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

approx a grand.

some may call that a lot but its the insurance quotes I'm used to. cost me 1700 to insure my corsa at 17
Corsa_Sport21

11th Jan 12 at 21:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Eck
quote:
Originally posted by Archie

You sure man? I cannot see a single thing about them Would be ace though!

They were Carnival Yellow the EG SiR.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Anyone had any experiences with an Ek9 Type R... 22 database queries in 0.0133371 seconds